Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Passenger seat air bag...??? Dog seat??

9 posts in this topic

OK, I am now driving beater with confidence, OK maybe said that too loudly....augh!

But I went today to buy a piece of wood and I had to fold the passenger seat down and lay it on top. Which besides giving me a perfect arm rest it also gave me an idea. I have two Jack Russel puppies and they need to start going for rides. So I started thinking, I could easily construct a box that could simply bolt onto the back of the passenger seat when they are in the car and then fold up into the truck if by chance I see a good looking woman hitch hiking...lol.  Fat chance...lol.   But this platform with edges would be perfect for the dogs to sit and slobber on all the windows.
Now to get to the reason I'm asking. I simply thought I would run a couple or 4 good sized screws into the back of the seat to hold it in place???   Then I realized it has an airbag...lol.  I haven't even thought about where it is within the seat etc. Does anyone know? I'm sure someone has seen it?  

Worst case I could weld a few nuts onto the seat but that is forcing me to disassemble seat to do the welding. 

This idea is far better than having them fight for position on the seat and it'll also stop their dirty paws destroying the seat etc.  It also would allow them to easily see where they are going making the whole experience better for everyone.

OK....Thoughts, suggestions????

Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

it rather small and is on the seat edge

pop the back off and it should be easy to see

Edited by LooseLugNuts

OK thanks...I thought it might be on the side but wanted to make sure before exploring.....thanks.

you should see the cover on the side where it shoots out...the box behind it (if i remember right) is about the size of a package of large ramen noodles 

OK so the centre of the seat should be free to puncture at will.....
I am thinking of covering with plastic then spray foam then placing wood onto seat to get foam form before shaping to final shape then working from there as in a permanent temporary attachment system..?   You never know, they may not even agree to go for rides yet...lol.

One thing I did notice was how extremely comfortable a well positioned armrest was......this is definately something i need.

rivnuts should be fine...just dont use a 10 inch bolt

if i remember right the backs are steel..but its been awhile since i had mine off (to change an airbag

easiest way to be safe about it is to pop off the back cover and see how the seat is built

1 person likes this

I call them nutserts....and yes they would be best...

FYI the parts car I just bought has the passenger seat air bag deployed already if you are looking for a seat to modify for just dog usage . I still need those keys programmed when life allows me the time to connect with you finally lol

Thanks Gibby....I don't need the extra seat as I will simply destroy the yellow set I think...lol.    Who needs an airbag on the passenger seat anyway...lol.   One way to get rid of her...lol.  J/King dear....lol  Besides she looked at me as if i was mental when i tried to explain my plan to her for a seat saving dogs seat....Hmmm...?  Maybe I am..?

Now the warmer weather is nearly here we can easily get together sometime I'm sure. Tomorrow I am going to Colbourg to visit a buddy.....?  I can easily bring the STAR with me on one of these visits. OR we can make a date another day. Just let me know.

1 person likes this