dguy

451 Rear Reluctor Rings - Same issue as 450?

8 posts in this topic

G'day,

Does anyone happen to know if the 451's rear reluctor rings are as similarly prone to cracking as those of the 450?

Our 450's rings failed around 56,000km; our 451 just rolled over 136,000km.  and an intermittent ABS warning from late last week has now become permanent.  I can't scan it at the moment as my wife ran away with our truck which just so happens to have my OBDII dongle in it.  :rolleyes:

They are easy to see once to jack the car up and stuff head under rear body work....simply rotate axle to see it all.

Yup, I know, I just don't feel like laying on cold damp ground and having a winter's worth of crud fall on my face unless I have to.  :P

1 hour ago, dguy said:

Yup, I know, I just don't feel like laying on cold damp ground and having a winter's worth of crud fall on my face unless I have to.  :P

Yup, I agree, as I too am being lazy until it warms up just a bit more....still too cold to work comfortably if one doesn't have to.....lol.

But it all leans towards them no...?

When I still went on sCOA, there were a few posts of ring replacements on 451s.  I have treated mine a few times (anti rust spray), through 8 winters now, so far, so good.

I've replaced a few 451 reluctor rings. A little messier on the 451. As soon as the axle is out you will lose tranny fluid - have a rag ready to stop the flow.

Thanks for the tip Glenn. 

The warning lights went out after a front pad & rotor replacement, and so far have stayed off for about 55km.

It occurred to me later in the day that there may a wet weather influence...  I didn't notice anything off about the front sensor harnesses while doing the brakes, but I will look more closely at all four corners when we swap the summer tires on.  We'll also try to pay more attention to what the conditions are if the warnings return.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:47 AM, dguy said:

It occurred to me later in the day that there may a wet weather influence...

There is a definite wet weather influence to the ABS error.  Dry weekend, no issues.  First drive after an overnight storm and the warning returns within 1km of driving.  Time to start following harnesses...