patallen

scan tool recommendation for airbag and abs

50 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, patallen said:

it sure looks the same ...its for many european market cars ..theres a huge list but most of the models arent available here so youd basically only use it on your smart

the delphi is just a communication interface...all it does is offer a way for your computer to talk to the car ...personally id get one without the bluetooth ...and there was something about the type of chips its built with...a certain colour chip was made better than another colour but i dont remember which is which..its mentioned somewhere in this forum

its not plug and play...you will need to install software and then use a key generator to crack (steal) the software ..the program will set off your malware protection if you dont follow the directions but it is not malware

and then after you get that done you start the fun part of figuring out how to connect to the car

but once you get that done it pays for itself in first use

ive cracked several other scanners in the past for my bmw's inpa and carsoft to name a few so i am not lost, i am electronic designer for automotive market and railway systems, by the way...

i even made my own diagnostic tool for very old bmw that i am selling over the web...

i will buy the DS150 and will try it.

57 minutes ago, Willys said:

For the easy job of a visual check compared to the costs of a scan tool that you may or may not know will work etc....I'd be taking a peek.....the rings are cheap also from England and arrive fast. I'm sorry I do not know about any scan tool but the one you don't want...lol....as I couldn't be 100% sure which one would work flawlessly.....either.  I think you need some back ground knowledge to comfortable making either tool work also...even this STAR will test your mental abilities finding where you want to get to if you do not use it on a regular basis..!   But it can do it all from what I see. No I'm definately no expert at all and need help finding my way around inside it sometimes.  But again, how many trips to a dealership or hairs are you willing to pull out before breaking down ...? That's the question...lol.  IF you have the computer knowledge and mechanical back ground then you should be OK to get either tool to work once to find one. Computers are not my strong suit that's for sure!

i bought the tool especially for the AIRBAG as i know the ABS is realtively easy to troubleshoot. i know about the rings, an inspection is on the way this week. the abs problem is intermitent btw.

1 minute ago, tolsen said:

Can be bought for £2 here with free shipping. 

already bought two. thanks.

bought also a delphi since the AIRABG is not easy to troube shoot...plugs under sear are ok, clockspring seems ok.

Edited by patallen

plugs under my seat looked brand new too

but they did summon airbag codes at random times...especially the passenger side

i probably soldered them together but cant say for sure ...i know i at least thought of it

got my delphi kit today but i am having installation issues, not related to antivirus at all.

I try to find what is the minimum system requirement for this software but i cant.

My old laptop uses windows XP with service pack 3.

seems to have issues with .net framework

i would like to know you operating systems guys

thanks.

finaly made it to work, it required some tweaks with .net programm and some XP updates that never made its way its a old laptop

now i need to find time to try it on the pokemon...

thanks guys.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, patallen said:

already bought two. thanks.

bought also a delphi since the AIRABG is not easy to troube shoot...plugs under sear are ok, clockspring seems ok.

where did you buy your rings?  i looked at flying tiger.  but they want 59.00 each.

FINALLY !!

managed to use my Delphi and get a real diagnostic for the airbag

"passenger side airbag open, permanent"

is the passenger air bag the one in the seat ??

also cannot communicate to the ABS module....humm......

ok found out that it was indeed the srs into the seat itself and it was the damned plug under the seat that was the problem. i am not very surprised after all since that was meant to be.

visual inspection showed nothing. Not even an ounce of corrosion.

Once removed (i did cut the wires) i measured 5 ohms across it all. with the ±5 ohm of the airbag itself, it was "over" the permited limit for the ecu so it reads a high impedance (not that high imho)

The plug can be taken all apart to reveal the crimps connectors at the end of the wires. i soldered them all and reassembled the plugs, and shooted some electronic contact cleaner that does magic to wakeup corroded contacts (Nutrol from mg chemical)

Before : 5 ohms

Now: 0.04 ohm across it  (i have several electronic measurement tools, ESR, milliohmeter, ...)

I cleared the code with my DS150

Voilà !! Airbag light is finally off !!

now i need to investigate for the ABS module that wont communicate thru the communication buss.

THANKS FOR YOU ALL GUYS I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELPS !!!!!

IMG_6589.JPG

4 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Try ESP. 

ESP too doesnt "connect" with any of my scan tools.

Also i am getting errors codes related to instrument cluster that doesnt read the proper mileage with some communication interruptions errors with the SAM....

i guess the SAM is full of water and shit....

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 minutes ago, tolsen said:

ABS in Delphi only works for older Smart cars like mine. 

my smart is a 2006 does this fall into the "old" section ?

the Delphi works on my BMW 530XI very  well.

Edited by patallen

Posted (edited) · Report post

my delphi would read abs codes just fine on the 2005 coupe....but would not communicate with abs module on the 2005 cabrio

Edited by LooseLugNuts

i was able to read error codes related to the reluctor rings "inconsistent fluctuating speed abs sensor"...on another "module" (sorry i dont remember) so maybe on some models it just doesnt read abs error codes thru that function at all.

duno

Oh now i remember, it was thru the SAM module itself, i was able to see many error codes related to the ABS....i was able to clear them as well....go figure.

i bought myself a thinktool mini this christmas

not sure what it can do with smart yet as i dont currently own one but i did notice that smart is covered in the models list