babycakes

2005 Smart for two exhaust /muffler

9 posts in this topic

Contact Glenn smart142.  He is in London and usually has a couple in stock.  His phone number can be found under service options at the top of this page.  Many of us drive several hours to have him service our cars.

Nigel

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, babycakes said:

Does anyone know where I can get a half decent used one ?  Mercedes wants $800 for the part !!

Glenn did one better for me.  He took my old one which had a split seam on the bottom and simply welded a one inch, 90 degree piece of angle iron over it.  Problem solved!  This repair was done in 2014 and the seam is still leak-free.

I weld up exhausts also and also remove that funny pussie that lives inside it....lol.   When you look at it you'll wonder how any air gasses etc manages to get through it at all.  I haven't measured the difference or the massive amounts of HP you receive and feel after doing this mod, but....if it helps any at all......imho it's worth doing. 
I simply cut the bad metal away then remove Catt then re-weld back together. It's an easy job but takes time and you'll require a good welder capable of dialing down far enough to allow you to be able to weld paper thick materials.
I know Glenn has a couple or did last time I was down to see him....wink wink...so you should be able to do a swap.  Don't throw away your old can, I can repair  almost any amount of rust damage....it just won't be pretty the worse the rust is. 

OH just as a heads up, after removing the Catt the exhaust will smell when you are idling and only the if the wind is blowing in just the right direction.....but other than that no difference smell wise. No difference really in sound tone either imho.

Holes through CAT honeycomb are relatively large so I doubt they will ever clog. 

Large....?????   Hmmmm.....you can only just see through them..?   2 out of the three I have cut into have been at least 1/3 plugged up, why I don't know....maybe because they are diesel and not petrol..?  Would there be a difference?  I don't know?