Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwight

smart dead in the US and Canada after 2019 model year

12 posts in this topic

Daimler pulls the plug on electric smart car sales in US, Canada

Daimler is ending sales of its diminutive all-electric smart fortwo cars in the U.S. and Canada, officially pulling the plug on a vehicle that has struggled to gain ground in North America as the German automaker prepares to bring the brand to China, TechCrunch has learned.

Smart won’t be sold in the U.S. and Canada after the 2019 model year, Daimler AG confirmed after two sources familiar with the decision shared the information with TechCrunch.

“After much careful consideration, smart will discontinue its battery-electric smart EQ fortwo model in the U.S. and Canadian markets at the conclusion of MY2019,” a Daimler AG spokesperson wrote in an emailed statement. “A number of factors, including a declining micro-car market in the U.S. and Canada, combined with high homologation costs for a low volume model are central to this decision.”

MBUSA and Mercedes-Benz Canada will continue to provide owners of gasoline-powered and electric smart fortwo models with access to service and replacement parts via smart and authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers, the company told TechCrunch.

Model years begin and end mid-year, suggesting that June will be the final month of production. Sales of the vehicles will continue through end the of the year.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/daimler-pulls-the-plug-on-electric-smart-car-sales-in-u-s-canada/

It's only a declining micro car market in the US because of the laziness and ineptitude of the manufacturer, the brand, and its importers.

And the report is slightly inaccurate in that its not production that's ceasing, only official imports of the model.  They're still knocking them out in Hambach and Romania, and will be until at least 2022.

Fortunately Geely are set on World domination and just like Arnold, they'll be back.  You lot hang in there.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

You also forgot to mention, the North American market are stuck on SIZE matters...lol.    And in some ways it really does....distances here are huge compared to most of Europe and it's neighbors......so until they address that issue it's a done deal.

The biggest selling vehicle here it seems is the 1/2 ton and up pick-up truck....even in today's fuel market crisis....lol...go figure!

When I filled my diesel Smart up today and only squeezed in $11.57  the new attendant there asked if the pump was broken...lol   He was actually serious...!   He wanted to help!    LOL....and we are crying now about a carbon tax added to the price of fuel by the litre...! And people are still buying these massive trucks....?    So until this size matters mentality is dealt with....micro cars like the Smart are dead in the water except for us smart folks...lol

I'm with you Willys.  I squeeze 20 or 22 groats worth of go juice into mine each month.  OK, I'm a keen cyclist, having had one heart attack I'd quite like not to have another so cycling provides the cardio I need...and I enjoy it, cycling more miles than I drive each year by some margin.  The time will come, and there is no getting away from it, when cost, fossil, fuel availability, pollution, climate concerns, and social unrest get all  but the tinest, most economical vehicles off the road.  We'll have the last laugh.

Meanwhile, you lot hang in there.  Perhaps my fledgling transatlantic parts supply scheme has a future after all! :lol:

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Chopper said:

Perhaps my fledgling transatlantic parts supply scheme has a future after all! :lol:

It absolutely WILL have a future here.  With options for access to parts become less and less, we (as a country) will be looking overseas for sources such as yourself to keep our little beasties on the road. 

Hang in there.

1 person likes this

Well, I'm helping out Willys with some bits at the mo.  If any of you guys ever get really stuck, drop me a PM.  

1 person likes this

In Canada at least I expect the dealers will supply parts indefinitely.....or that's what M-B is reputed for.....

1 person likes this

At their prices it'll be more economical selling parts than cars I bet! Have you priced out a front engine mount lately...lol

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Willys said:

At their prices it'll be more economical selling parts than cars I bet! Have you priced out a front engine mount lately...lol

that's how I ended up with my parts car....needed an air conditioner condenser. was cheaper to buy an entire car than one part from mb...lol.....now I have lots of parts

1 person likes this

Theres are still significant ownership and enthusiast numbers in Europe.  I'm sure parts will remain available for those willing to do their homework, but as Willys says, prices might be a bit spicy by the time they've got to your side of thr pond.

I bought mine new and I am not as concerned about the cost of dealer parts.  Third owners etc usually see the car as disposable and therefore rebel at the idea of spending any money on them.