Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart dead in Canada and USA

20 posts in this topic

It's official - the plug has been pulled from the few electric smarts that were trickling into Canada and the USA.  The last ones for this market will be built in June 2019.  15 years, not too bad.  The last few were dismal though.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/daimler-pulls-the-plug-on-electric-smart-car-sales-in-u-s-canada/

Just got my 1st one a month ago.

2005 and it's a fun little car to run around in.

It's a shame they are dropping them but there's so many cheaper cars getting better mileage that the Smart is only a niche market seller now then to change them to battery only reduces it's market potential even more.

The masses don't want electric cars yet.

They built electric cars in the early 1900's if they were so great why didn't they continue all the way through.

Even electric golf carts have limits that get surpassed by gas carts, have plenty of both here and the electric carts cost more to maintain over a 10 yr run than gas.

They should have kept the Smart up in the 60 mpg and it would still be selling.

Just my opinion.

BMW, you should be getting closer to the 75 MPG range if everything is running tip top.....I can average 3.5 Lphkd litres per hundred KMs driven....but that means no ripping up to speed and keeping very close to the speed limits and not much highway driving.  Get some of that mechanic in a jug, diesel Kleen at canadian tire add 48ml to a tank every other tank  and see if that helps.   I replaced my injector nozzles in the beater after sonic cleaning the injector bodies and WOW...what a difference!  Performance wise that is. It actually feels nippy now and has better pull from lower down.

I totally agree with the rest of your post for sure!   We are just not ready and never will be until they defeat the distance possible and cost of the battery. The distances here are massive compared to all of Europe unless you are a city dweller solely. Electric make zero sense other wise..imho.  yep....if it was so good back when it was a 3 horse race steam, fossil and electric why didn't it thrive....same reasons as we have today. 
BUT, I will give them the thrill of instant excelleration factor over our slower fosil fueled buggies..lol  If only...lol
But for the cost of fuel consumption it still is worth keeping them alive if you can find a parts car etc etc or two...anything usually under the 150,000km range should have an engine I bet that will get you another 40K or so onto it if looked after. The rest is basic maintenance and diligent watching for the documented issues.  Water is the main issues......the nasty greenies attacking all electronics. It's what finally got me yesterday and my alternator, the rest was rebuildable at a surprisingly inexpensive cost to me....amazing!  Just can't find a new winding. So $260 later i have a new alternator showing up today.  The only other car I've had recently that got anywhere close to this was my Toyota Echo 2005 hatchback 50 mpgs and was a rocket at 40mpgs for what it was.  It also didn't have anywhere near the issues that the Smart has....so....who's the smart one now....lol. BUT, it's still sitting in the back yard tempting me...lol.

i love my smarts.   great little cars.

i guess we just hold onto them now and hope we can still access parts for the diesels as the years go by.  lol

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Sydney said:

i love my smarts.   great little cars.

i guess we just hold onto them now and hope we can still access parts for the diesels as the years go by.  lol

For some strange reason I like my beater wreck of a Smart more than my very good condition summer Smart.....it just has the I don't give a shit attitude about it as long as it's reliable sort of thing....making it less of a worry and more of a fun toy. Giving me more time to restore the good car to as close to perfect as i can get her.  I'll be picking up a spare good runner engine in a week to go through to give me an engine to make sure I am not hunting for one and making do with some crap. I have spare other parts filling my shelves now also....all to keep two smarts running.

1 person likes this

(posted about 7 hours earlier)

1 person likes this

RIP smart.

You came into our lives late and you left way too early.

While you may be gone (soon), I shall keep you alive thanks to the many fond memories over the years.

But if history is to repeat itself, I shall look forward to buying an imported grey market car from China in about 15 years time.

Until then, adieu...

Oh, I'm sure once they start being manufactured in China, Geely (now co-owner of the brand) will want to sell them everywhere.

Was fun while it lasted, and I am sure at some point will be fun again when the diesels are sought after collectors cars......

8 hours ago, darren said:

(posted about 7 hours earlier)

Haha I looked, I swear!  Anyhow mine has more replies ;)

3 hours ago, smartzuum said:

Was fun while it lasted, and I am sure at some point will be fun again when the diesels are sought after collectors cars......

Best buy now while prices are low...lol....if you can find a good one that is....just think ....an investment...???..lol

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

That might not be so mad.  450s were sold a plenty here, and there are still many about, but good, clean examples are starting to change hands for slowly increasing sums.  I know they were never so sought after over there, but slowly, surely, the the good ones will become more sought after.  I wouldn't base your retirement plans on owning one, but if you've a straight one in good running order you're not likely to lose money on it now.  Can't say that about many cars.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this

On 4/30/2019 at 4:34 PM, Willys said:

Best buy now while prices are low...lol....if you can find a good one that is....just think ....an investment...???..lol

Having owned 6 diesels including not just one, but TWO canada1's, I am done for now....

Next 'new' vehicle off the lot, if there is one, would probably be an electric. Otherwise, I am good with cream-puff used value buys.... there's enough around.

Yup. Buy a well-maintained used Honda or Toyota and drive it into the ground. Repeat. 

My 30 year old Honda starts and runs like new and is not ready to die yet.  If the new Hondas or Toyotas are as reliable as it, you could (theoretically), according to Darren, "Buy a well-maintained used Honda or Toyota and drive it into the ground. Repeat.".   Buy just two, one after the other, and it should last you the rest of your driving days.

Hmmm.....you guys are seeing these cars as daily drivers as in normal cars or modes of transportation.....yes and no..?   I see them as a toy to enjoy the drive from. They aren't great at anything except fuel economy...imho.   BUT...They are fun to drive and therefore I consider them toys to enjoy and not treat them as the old faithful must get me here now vehicle..?   Is that as clear as mud..?...lol
I agree 100% that there is any other car out there that would suit your purposes far better than a Smart Car when it comes down to being a useful do it all vehicle.  But unless you live in an apartment with zero activities and desires to do outdoors type stuff then maybe the smart is perfectly suited for your needs 100%..?
I stopped riding motorcycles and needed a replacement mode of transport to fill that void, this does that so to speak. You can't ride a bike year round unless you're 20 and an idiot in Canada's climate...been there done that! Just to say I have...no other reason. So it is a toy so to speak also as I see it. You need the other vehicle for the nasty days or it's public transport and that just won't do...lol.

So, as i see it, I need to keep enough parts around me to easily keep at least one smart car alive until I tire of this hobby.....which will be probably 10 years down the road if things go as they have been. I'll simply get bored of it and move on. BUT at 60 now, making me 70 then, what does one move on to..?  An electric scooter...lol....augh...!   Seems if the smart keeps ticking it could be my last toy....?

I see it as a vehicle, a daily driver, leaving aside that my actual daily driver is a bicycle. 

On top of that though it's a cheap, hilariously fun, minimally damaging environmentally car, but is ultimately still a car.  When I retire, which I can do any time now, I'll no longer have need and much as I'd like to keep it and tuck it away until it becomes a classic, in reality I'll probably just sell it.

The thing is, even garaged cars need periodic maintenance, and most "classics" are kept alive by a robust aftermarket of available and affordable parts. So far, that robust aftermarket does not seem to have appeared for the smarts. I would have loved to keep my cdi, but approaching 180,000 km, I had already done everything once, and it was approaching that age where stuff was going to have to be done a second time, so I sold it. The annual maintenance on that thing was more than the lease on a brand-new Electric Drive, so it was a good decision at the time. 

Do I miss that little putter? You bet I do. Every time I see a 450, it tugs at my heartstrings.

But then I come here and see the headaches and the cost of keeping them running, and it cures my sentimental urge to pick up another one. :lol: 

So thanks, CsC for keeping me from foolishly buying another 450 cdi.