Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

Tesla - sneaky tactics to qualify for $5000 federal incentive

15 posts in this topic

Tesla is pretty sneaky, and must think their potential customers (like me) aren't paying attention!

It was recently announced in February that there would be a $47,600 Model 3 base model that was configurable online and had a range of 354 km

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tesla-drops-price-mode-3-canada-2019

I actually configured one myself! Didn't order, but was mulling over potential options given the potential for a $5000 federal incentive (and whether Tesla would qualify, in whole or in part...)

Now today, I note that Tesla has indeed 'qualified' for the incentive, by offering up a $44,999 base model with a VERY LIMITED 150 km range! I thought, ok, that's cool... because since they have a base model that's under $45,000, other trim levels up to $55,000 will also be eligible...

So I went to the website to find out that the $47,600 configuration is no more! GONE!

And not only that, but you CANNOT view, configure, compare or order this new $44,999 base model online.

The new lowest price for a Tesla with a decent range is a $53.700 configuration with a 386 km range. It comes with a 'partial premium' interior (whoever though of such a bullcrap name for a package - 'you're only part-way there!' - 'so, keep going'.... lol)

I dug into this a bit further, and found out that it also comes now with a mandatory auto-pilot feature....

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/50197/entry-level-tesla-model-3-hit-with-a-price-hike-already/

I say bait and switch. Tesla should be disqualified from being eligible for the incentive.

Filing complaint with federal government once I grab up my documentation.

Not cool with me.

In 5 months time, I might investigate if there are any leftover smart convertible electrics floating around - tempting with a potential for $16000 off in BC (includes $6000 scrap-it, if available late in the year - possibly not?)

Would leave out of pocket price at around $16000 plus applicable taxes.... so maybe just under $20k total? Well, maybe not.... even at that great of a price, is it worth it?

Apparently not enough people think so.

Keeping options open. eGolf perhaps? Not sure on Kia/Hyundai.... they look promising if they hold up.

The incentive applies to vehicles with a base price of $45,000 and under, which can have options totalling up to $55,000. You can’t buy another trim level with a different base price.

Tesla’s “Standard Range” Model 3 is software-limited in range in its “base” configuration, and the “Plus” option unlocks the full range. Yes, they’ve been sneaky to get the incentive, and if you want to buy the “Standard Range” model without the “Plus” option, you have to call them or visit a Tesla store to order, which is why you only see the “Standard Range Plus” model on their website.

It’s a creative way of qualifying for the incentive program, and only a little sneaky. Is it worth a complaint? I don’t think so. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, darren said:

It’s a creative way of qualifying for the incentive program, and only a little sneaky. Is it worth a complaint? I don’t think so. 

They eliminated a $47,600 'Standard Range' 354 km range vehicle from the lineup - and essentially now force you to buy a $53,700 'Standard Range Plus' 386 km range vehicle.

THAT is the sneaky bait and switch I refer to, not so much that they offer a software limited $44,999 model that you can't actually buy via their normal everyday preferred selling channel.

My complaint would focus on the disappearance of the $47,600 offering.

But if you can't even see details about the $44,999 offering online ON THEIR SITE, does it really exist? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They can put out whatever products they want and price them at what the market will bear. Their goal is to make money, and unlike traditional car companies, Tesla doesn’t just change their model lineup and pricing once a year. They adjust their offerings based on things like battery availability and market pricing, new software, new motors, or new things like the revised suspension they just put on the S and X. They continually make adjustments based on supply chain and manufacturing capacity for certain models and features. 

It’s not the government’s job to police their product offerings or pricing. 

Edited by darren

Well then they can f****** forget about me as a customer, but I am still filing that f****** complaint. LOL. It's bait and switch and there are laws about it.

Perhaps the discussion should be about why it's not the governments job to subsidize these companies? (Or perhaps even, the buyers of said products...)

As far as I am concerned, the $44,999 car doesn't actually exist. I think Tesla pulled this stunt in Germany, and lost.

Just because dope is legal in Canada doesn't give every knob a right to sell out out of any shack in Abbotsford that they want. There are laws about that too. LOL

Try getting anybody to do anything about it though.... futile!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, smartzuum said:

Perhaps the discussion should be about why it's not the governments job to subsidize these companies? (Or perhaps even, the buyers of said products...)

Hear, hear.

1 person likes this

I know someone with a Model S.  Forget the advertised range - the moment you start using lights and heater you can knock the thick end of 100 miles off that.

Range is what you make of it, with your own usage and driving style.  What manufacturers claim, or what federal test figures state, are not terribly relevant.

I must agree with the bot about government subsidising buyers.  Instead of waving the carrot at buyers, they should we wielding the stick at those that use 6 litre V8 pickups to to go the shops.  The solution exists, so they should now be addressing the problem.

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

I know someone with a Model S.  Forget the advertised range - the moment you start using lights and heater you can knock the thick end of 100 miles off that.

Range is what you make of it, with your own usage and driving style.  What manufacturers claim, or what federal test figures state, are not terribly relevant.

I must agree with the bot about government subsidising buyers.  Instead of waving the carrot at buyers, they should we wielding the stick at those that use 6 litre V8 pickups to to go the shops.  The solution exists, so they should now be addressing the problem.

The problem is....you live in a country where size and space is an issue, in North America it isn't....period.

Canada has more trees than people and vehicles and is a negative polluting country, but we are expected to saddle to burden of the rest of the world when the rest of the world, maybe not England is still polluting like it's 1930 or later?  

In North America we have roads that go to the horizon and beyond without making as much as a 10% diversion left or right. There is endless ground between us and the next object right or left as well. Unlike the hedged roads and concrete sided motorways in England or Europe etc etc.....yes we have our cities and tight areas also but the majority of our road system is massive.  We like to go to the lumber yard and pick up our own materials to construct things at a whim. OR sit in an arm chair better than the one in our homes while driving to the gas station...lol. Have you been in a modern pick me up truck lately.....they are like the top of the line luxurious limos almost.....fitted with all the best of the best!  More dead cow than you can take in, leather everything, stunning. Do I own a pick me up, yes and it's far worse than any modern vehicle for pollution, gas mileage etc etc, it's a 1952 Willys with zero emissions, a thirsty fuel delivery system, zero creature comforts, a very simple machine from the 50's   But it's still on the road, how many vehicles last this long..? Yes there is now calls for us classic vehicle owners to trailer our vehicles to shows etc etc because of the pollution etc, and that won't go down without a massive fight. Because there are so many classic vehicles around now a days with the wealthier baby boomers getting older that we have already won that battle. I drive my truck maybe , maybe 6 times a year. It lives in a heated garage and gets turned on monthly just to keep the bits oiled and running well. Then shut off until next time. It's the complete opposite of what a teslar represents.......and the passion is growing not reducing when you see how many are being driven around to shows etc etc. These vehicles aren't cheap to restore or maintain or even drive so it's not normally the lower wage bracket that own them, meaning political power of some point being lent in favor of this hobby.  No different than off-road vehicles and where they can go.....the environmental guys stopped those for a while also, but the owners grouped together and fought back, now almost all crown land in North America is again open for them to use. Everything if used sensibly can co-exist if given the chance, the planet will evolve and survive. 
So long story short, you aren't comparing apples to apples when you suggest we stop driving 1/2 ton to 1 ton pick ups just because it doesn't fit into your idea of what's right or normal day to day. There is a reason Smart cars didn't survive in North America....they just can't deal easily with the vastness of the place, same as any other micro vehicle that thrives in Europe so to speak, as much as I love them.lol.  Just to prove a point....yesterday I went to look at a mini truck from Japan......the small cab over or forward two seater trucks with a flat bed on the back or tilt box or even a box on the back.....$4500 but, the only reason I stopped looking was...it wants to drive or run at 90 kmph or it's straining hard. That speed would create havoc on our roads.....you'd get run over in a day or two for sure!  They otherwise would be perfect for me.....a great addition to the Smart car collection......
Oh  my Willys will be for sale in the near future, simply because it kills me to put fuel in it now. That one ting has ruined the thrill of driving it for me after being able to drive for pennies on the km compared to the Willys in the Smart.  So it doesn't get used....but the looks and thumbs up you get when you do drive it is like nothing else....and unless you have built a vehicle from scratch you can't say you understand.  Which is a shame.

1 hour ago, Willys said:

The problem is....you live in a country where size and space is an issue, in North America it isn't....period.

Canada has more trees than people and vehicles and is a negative polluting country, but we are expected to saddle to burden of the rest of the world when the rest of the world, maybe not England is still polluting like it's 1930 or later?  

These assertions are just ignorance and misinformation. 

Canada produces 19% (2016) of its electricity from coal and petroleum.   We burn massive amounts of gas to extract bitumen from the tar sands.  Most of the resulting crude is shipped to the US to be burned for electricity, heating or to power ships.   That is massive pollution, and we're not even talking about transportation. 

Canada is hardly the lilly white paragon of virtue that you're painting it to be.

On the other hand, the UK has consistently ramped up renewable energy.   Their production of electricity from fossil fuels has dropped 50% from its peak a decade ago.   They are now going weeks without using coal to generate electricity.   If only Canada could say the same.

You can't always blame "the other guy" and demand they do things first.   Especially when they are doing a better job at it than Canada.

Leadership means helping others find the way to a better future.   It doesn't mean whining and burying your head in the sand.

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 minutes ago, Blaine said:

We burn massive amounts of gas to extract bitumen from the tar sands. 

As always, context is important when making claims:

" When the entire life cycle of the fuels is considered—including production, transportation and burning the final product— the greenhouse gas differential between conventional oil and tar sands oil is about 20 percent, according to a 2011 study from Stanford University. "

Edited by mender

Fighting a battle with  what i am guessing is someone who voted this present govt in is well a waste of time....if you think Canada is polluting to any stage close to anywhere in the european or asian hemiphere well I give up....sure you can say this singular area is doing this or that but on a large scale, sorry don't buy it.  And yes England as an example was and still is a large polluter but nowhere near what it once was. The population is what compared to who..?   How many people, cars vehicles, compared to us?  At one time it was simply unpleasant to walk along a sidewalk in England to get your groceries, now far better.....but we are still a cleaner country.....but you'll point out the west I'm sure, what about the raw sewage that Quebec pumps into the St Lawrance daily?  You can find a bad spot here and there but over all....it's a non issue.  But keep insisting it's our problem to solve, feel free....it isn't  and never will be it's an every country issue and so so many just do not give a flying F which is the problem and they will not change until forced to. But you think forcing us is a solution....lol.

I'm out, a waste of time sorry to say.

Well, we've gone political on this one, my bad. Going to end it on that note.