Tut

Enduring limp mode

32 posts in this topic

Sydney wrote:

One of my 05 cabrios was stuck in limp mode. 

There was no codes, the check engine light was on but for a faulty glow plug ciircuit.

After searching and reading a bunch of forms I finally looked at the plug going to the EGR solinoid.   It turns out the both end pins were spread open so they were not making good contact. I fixed the pins and limp mode is now gone.

This is what I encountered, your case is probably not going to be as easy because you have already bypassed the EGR with the emulator. But you might want to have a look at the harness that your emulator is plugged into.

Thank you Sydney this is an excellent suggestion! I will look at it tomorrow. My lay hunch is that it is something simple and electrical/software or that fuel delivery is compromised.

Willys wrote:

I'll bet if you are down on power you have rub throughs on the intercooler and don't see it yet. Mine was perfectly clean compared to a few I have seen with holes. So like you I didn't think it was damaged yet. It was.....JBWeld fix it...lol.    For how long I can't say but far cheaper than a new one!!!!

Also, if you have bad nozzles I know for a fact they make a huge difference if you change them....mender is the guy for those. They are like chicken lips and extremely hard to find.....but he has a connection and they are pricey....but again far cheaper than new injectors!

Thanks Willys, I did have all the air intake system apart and pressure tested everything, I could have missed something I suppose but I dont know what...

Will chase down software, fuel delivery and pin connections for the emulator. If those all check out then back to air maybe? Those nozzles sound like a good plan.

I know the injectors in the parts car are good. I will pop those out and audit nozzles etc, First I have to build a tool to remove #3, the little snot is just jammed in there...

1 person likes this

I was able to do an Autel scan and found the only code present was a P1401-64, EGR valve sticking and not closing completely. This one was no surprise. Cleared the code and still limp mode.

Now I will clean the EGR and plug it back in to see if the emulator is no good. If emulator checks out then I will sub out the AM Pressure sensor with the one from the parts car to see if the reading is identical. I pressure tested the intercooler, its good and all the hoses are good. If pressure is still no good at max 190 psi, I dunno, that seems to aim at the fan? I shall report dutifully. Also good to know the injectors are A-OK.

1 person likes this

Problem solved and well Willys, who IS the smartest kid on the playground... I thought before anything, do the quickest and easiest, check the integrity of the emulator with brainstorm Willys little process. Douched out the old EGR and plugged it in. The little diesel Ferrari came roaring back, angrier than ever and ready to gallop, even scared me a bit, all that roaring and pep. She immediately threw an overboost code and light limp so re-tweaked the boost arm and all is good.

I am a bit perplexed, checked the pins and all seemed good. It is a Polish emulator and I've not heard bad reports on these. Anyone else had issues? Wonder if I can find him anymore...  

Thanks for your input, boys. This is my favorite reading now, whether or not problems are afoot. Like a good mystery novel with some light physics thrown in. tut

20190520_140132_resized (2).jpg

20190520_135037_resized.jpg

1 person likes this

Glad to be of some help...and it wasn't an expensive fix.....other than a better emulator....for that contact stickman007....he is the man for those. Excellent product and extremely well made. Excellent Smart man also...lol
I made an emulator and it worked for a short while then died, and I mean short...lol.  Plus it was the size of a cigarette package.....easy to make really but to get it perfect, leave it to the professionals imho.

I better get in touch with Stickman on emulator.

Has anyone had trouble in the past with the Polish ones? I thought they were pretty dependable.

1 person likes this

So one final post on the enduring limp mode mystery.

The limp disappeared when I put the rebuilt EGR back in. The only other variable ttherefore, was the Polish emulator. I wondered if some sleepy worker put the wrong number tags on the wires for the emulator. I swapped wires around according to what might have been the easiest mistake to make and the colors of the wires and Presto! the dreaded limp vanished! So the little smart Ferrari is once again cheeky, perky  and snorting around town with dangerous attitude. Thanks for all your input chaps and this is my new favorite reading of all time.

2 people like this