10 posts in this topic

I just bought a 2013 Smart Car. I love it, but have a huge problem. There is only one key. I thought I would be able to have a second one made, but no. This car was owned by the company Car2Go (two owners ago).聽Apparently my key is a spare. To program new keys it requires a master key or a replacement of FSAM module. That would cost roughly $3000 through Mercedes Benz馃槺! 聽Anybody have any suggestions for me?

I鈥檝e never tried programming a 451 key, but I was under the impression that if I have a working key, u can program to set it as the master key?

I would bet someone with a聽 STAR could reprogram it similar to the older cars no...?聽 聽OR doesn't the STAR we have work on these models?聽聽

Posted (edited) 路 Report post

Someone with a STAR system that鈥檚 willing to try? A good locksmith can clone your existing working key.

The 451 has a different coding procedure in which a 鈥渕aster key鈥 has to be present - so that someone can鈥檛 just break into your car, code a key and drive off.

Edited by stickman007

The only risk would be you try re-programing the fob and it fails leaving you with none after it errases the original coding....is the major problem I see and you would need to take full ownership of that...before you push the button imho.

So, if the fob reprogramming failed, and I鈥檓 left with no key.....would the replacement of the FSAM module fix the problem?聽

Btw, thanks for pointing out what can go wrong. 馃憤 I need to move carefully on this馃槼

I personally do not understand why you must replace the SAM, simply talk to it to re-program a new set of FOBs like any other Smart...?聽 聽It's just the fact if our STAR machines can talk to the newer cars...?聽 聽BUT, you should be able to tell that by starting with more simple testing etc etc, then see if it'll go into the re-programing area of the STAR and see if it speaks with it or crashes...then it'll be your call to continue...imho.

1 person likes this

Yeah, you raise a good point. Regarding replacing the SAM, that鈥檚 what my local Mercedes Benz dealership told me yesterday.聽They said that was my only option since I don鈥檛 have the master key. Hmmmm..馃槒

What do I need to do this? Do you think a car repair shop would have the necessary program/ applications?

What is the name of the program that鈥檚 needed to start the reprogramming?聽Btw, it鈥檚 a 2013 thanks for your help!

The program is called STAR and it's the diagnostic program for all MB products........so would a general repair shop have it, I don't know?聽 I have it so to speak. But do not know if it speaks to your car...?聽 Again the risk is all on your shoulders also.....something I would definately do some serious research about it.