Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slipperyslope

cant lock doors with engine running

11 posts in this topic

when I got my 06 cdi, it came with one key. the problem this created was that I could not leave my smartie running unattended as I cant lock the doors. I thought coding a second key would solve my problem...well, guess what?? the doors will not lock with the engine running. I tried switching the keys and spent a couple hours searching forums and google etc. with no result. is this something that must be programmed??

Why would you want to lock the car with the engine running?

I remember doing this many times when I was using my car in the winter and I was worried it would start at -35°c.

I believe that I was going out close the doors with the hatch open and I would reach in from the hatch and lock it with the dash switch and close the hatch and it would keep running and I think I had a flat key in my wallet instead of carrying a second bulky key fob and I would open the hatch with that key using the hole for the key in the back hatch door to reopen the doors.

As far as I know to lock the doors when running you use the button on the middle top of the dash not with the fob.

Was done that way to prevent locking your keys in.

I tried that too. wont lock with door open. if I lock the door then open it , it unlocks and I cant lock it again.   I want to fire up the car, then leave it unattended while it warms up, and not have someone jump in and drive away. I cant believe this is so difficult..

second option would be to install a remote start

but you wont be able to use the start function...just use the doorlock function on fob once you figure out how to wire it up into the smart doorlock system...will probably work just fine but youll have to get out and close the door before locking...

The "lock" button on my key fob doesn't work, but I simply close the door (window open), reach in and press the button on the dash , then press the up button on my window.  Closed and locked.

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Leadwing said:

The "lock" button on my key fob doesn't work, but I simply close the door (window open), reach in and press the button on the dash , then press the up button on my window.  Closed and locked.

Yes but you have the one touch window switches, most of us don’t.

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Yes but you have the one touch window switches, most of us don’t.

True.  It slipped my mind temporarily........ Sorry.    I never considered the possibility of the key fob failing, but I am very glad that I do have this unorthodox method of locking it up.