Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

jet fuel

8 posts in this topic

I just watched a show on TV and they are using jet fuel in their small diesel engine.   Just need to add a bit of engine oil in the fuel for lubrication.    

Hmmm.   Lol

i think its close to kerosene

some older small gasolene engines were capable of running on kerosene if you modified the spark timing

I ran jet B in my first smart,  about 90 gallons over a couple of years.  Was a liberal with the Howse diesel conditioner and filled up with dino diesel when I was away from home.

The company I worked for had an aircraft engine test cell and sold it.  They had to dispose of about 500 gallons before it was disassembled and shipped.  Found it was not quite as powerful as diesel but it was free.  The rest went to a couple of different guys that had oil heat in their house.  No ill effects on Henry.

Alan

jet b is pretty much kerosene, but is packaged with more care concerning contaminents. water, dirt etc. kerosene is delivered in a regular drum, where as jet b is in a lined drum. kerosene is the same as arctic diesel, which is pretty much the same as summer diesel, but lacking paraffin wax. summer diesel is what we all burn. summer diesel has more btus per liter, therefor you get more horsepower than with arctic. the lack of paraffin also affects lubricity. it burns without consequence in turbines like jets and helicopter because they dont have the tight tolerances that we have in the fuel pumps and injectors, which is where trouble will show up after time. this can be combated by adding an oil or conditioner.  it does burn cleaner though. I believe the sulphur content is also lower.

Seen at the Ohio April Fool's event a few years ago.

Smart ohio - jetfuel.jpg

1 person likes this

Depending on the grade and type, jet fuel is fairly close to kerosene, and theoretically diesels will run happily on that.  The only issues may be fuel pumps or injectors are require a specific viscosity and certain lubricating properties, but thermodynamically speaking it's a goer.  Similarly, a lot of jet engines will run on diesel, albeit not optimally.

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

a lot of jet engines will run on diesel, albeit not optimally.

I don't know about you, but if I am dumb enough to get in a plane in the first place, the last thing I would want at 30,000 feet is something that is not operating at it's best.

1 person likes this

Indeed! But for vehicles like the MTT Y2K motorbike (an insane production jet engined missile) diesel is the ideal fuel.