slipperyslope

adding soft touch

4 posts in this topic

today I was looking at a 2005 pulse coupe and noticed the auto button on the side of the shifter was not there. how difficult will it be to add soft touch?  is it just a matter of changing the shifter? is there also programming that is required?

programming. and then you also need a replacement gas pedal - as the throttle has a kick down feature... there have been very very few cars converted, but it could be done if you are dedicated

it could also in theory be programmed to start in auto mode, and if you can live without kick down, you could have one chance at start up to be in auto - but shift once, and you're in manual til you restart

1 person likes this

Electronically the pedals are just the same.  Kickdown pedal for the automatic has a 2nd spring which gives driver the feel of kick down.

I converted mine to auto myself.  It uses the standard pedal and works just fine.  Made my own auto button too.  Turned it on a lathe out of white nylon 66.  A standard bell switch will work equaly good as would any momentary switch but nice to have switch fitted on the gear knob.  I'll post a few photos later.

1 person likes this

A few photos of my DIY auto knob:

9A93949A-5EA5-44EC-BE21-A1CF45A2D1D3.jpeg

Nylon 66 button. 

1F589805-D088-49EE-9128-C7601ACE8B3F.jpeg

Momentary switch soldered to home made circuit board. Cable from switch to SE drive is from an old Nokia head phone. 

7688D2DC-6753-4635-925F-B32F68D1EFF8.jpeg

view inside knob. The botton pin that makes contact with switch is just visible in right hand side of photo. 

Botton is sprung outwards with short length of carbon brush spring. Botton bottoms out in knob and cannot overload and damage switch. 

This is a mod I made ten years ago in 2007 and has stood the test of time. 

2 people like this