calgarysmart

Longevity

29 posts in this topic

Is there an average lifespan of the diesel smarts? I’ve been looking for one online and I haven’t found one available for sale over 150,000 kms. Does anyone here have one that’s going over 300,000 km?

I know of one that made it to 310,000 then was destroyed in a collision.  That one had the Flying Tiger remap too.  My former green and black one has 247,274 km when it was taken out by a Pontiac.

I hope to take mine all the way to the Moon.  Have so far covered 2/3 of the distance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

One of mine was at 405.000, in perfect condition until I was side swiped by a toyota 4 door.  I wasn't a happy camper.

Edited by Wild!

1 hour ago, Wild! said:

One of mine was at 405.000, in perfect condition until I was side swiped by a toyota 4 door.  I wasn't a happy camper.

This was for my 451.

I know I will get corrected if I'm wrong, but I'm sure there was one in SW Ontario with over 310,000kms on it.  My winter beater has 208,000kms. on it.

Let me check with my neighbor, I believe his is around the 310,000 km mark.  Tillsonburg, Ontario

I'm assuming all of these engines have been rebuilt at some point though? I've heard the CDI's need a rebuild sometime before 160k. 

Nope.  160K would be a disastrous short life for a cdi.  5000 hours would be the minimum to expect before having problems, and for most people that will be 250K km.

Repairs might be needed if something fails internally, but the basic engine should last a lot longer than 160k with proper maintenance.

1 person likes this

Ah, I guess there is hope for my CDI with 162k on it. Obviously lack of care before hand could be the issue as well.

1 person likes this

Research oil sprocket and chain failures

Mine still ran beautifully at 180,000 km. The engines don’t need to be rebuilt, but the turbos definitely need to be done around 160k. 

2 hours ago, darren said:

Mine still ran beautifully at 180,000 km. The engines don’t need to be rebuilt, but the turbos definitely need to be done around 160k. 

what has to be done with the turbo.   i have 140,000 on mine.   can you buy a kit and rebuild them?

23 hours ago, Sydney said:

what has to be done with the turbo.   i have 140,000 on mine.   can you buy a kit and rebuild them?

Probably. I don't quite remember exactly, as it was five or six years ago, but I think my turbo just got coked up with soot, and seized. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Apparently 250,000+ miles isn't uncommon.  I don't know what that might be in  those new fangled toytown units.  They are supposed to be very robust indeed by any standards.

I must admit, just this morning I was browsing the ads for 451 diseasels.  The price of 451s has tumbled in the year I've had my 450, and nearly all have tiny mileage, so I think this time next year...

Edited by Chopper

The turbos should last indefinitely if they're not abused.  At the very least 250K km.

On 2019-07-02 at 10:08 AM, Chopper said:

Apparently 250,000+ miles isn't uncommon.  I don't know what that might be in  those new fangled toytown units.  They are supposed to be very robust indeed by any standards.

I must admit, just this morning I was browsing the ads for 451 diseasels.  The price of 451s has tumbled in the year I've had my 450, and nearly all have tiny mileage, so I think this time next year...

I thought there were no 451 diesels…

15 hours ago, darren said:

I thought there were no 451 diesels…

There are no 451 diesels in Canada.  After 2006, all they imported was gas and electric smarts.

I'm sure Chopper or some other member from that side of the big puddle will correct me if I'm wrong, but they were still available across the pond in the 451 format.

1 person likes this

The 451 diesels were available in Europe - none in North America.

32 minutes ago, smart142 said:

The 451 diesels were available in Europe - none in North America.

Hmmmmm....what's the engine differences...anyone know...?