reza

Any DIY/Hobby mechanics in the Etobicoke/Mississauga area?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi folks,

My 2005 450 CDI is having a few issues and I was wondering if there are any hobby/DIY mechanics on here who would be able to help with repairs? I really don't want to take the car to the dealership as it's just not worth it.

The issues I'm having are:

- Car sometimes takes 2-3 tries to start when not driven for a couple days

- Engine light came on a couple month ago, and 1 month ago the car started limiting RPM to roughly 3000 (limp mode?)

- As of a couple weeks ago, car suddenly wouldn't start anymore. I drove it, then parked, then wouldn't start again (turns over fine)

I plan to check the engine codes myself soon, once I obtain a scanner, but I think I'll eventually need to find a mechanic to have it fixed.

Thanks

Edited by reza

I'm in London but last week helped repair a smart from Etobicoke and 2 from Toronto haha

Do you have a towing plan?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Glenn's Smart142.... the guy to use.....trust me...!

Edited by Willys

Reza ..... If you have a "towing plan" (CAA, CTC etc.) Get them to sent it to smart 142.  He is the go-to guy for all things (diesel) smart.  No one else touches MY smarts.

Looks like I found my guy. Thanks guys.

I don't have a towing plan, but I'm comparing different plans atm and will hopefully get one.

smart142 I'll be in touch.

Cheers

Update:

I was able to start the car after playing around with the SAM connections. It looks like it was due to a loose connection.

I also read the error codes (there are 2), P0401 and P0405 and my understanding is that it's related to EGR.

My guess is that the error codes and the car not starting were unrelated issues. Nevertheless, I will be in touch with smart142 to have the EGR-thing figured out as I'm guessing that's what's causing the limp mode.

On another note:

Does anyone know how on earth to reset the Grinding radio on a 450? I contacted the dealership and they said they have no way to look it up the codes for older Smart models. Huh??

Cheers

Check out Evilution.co.uk, donate their lowest donation and then search this issue, they can help.

about radio...

18 hours ago, reza said:

Does anyone know how on earth to reset the Grinding radio on a 450? I contacted the dealership and they said they have no way to look it up the codes for older Smart models. Huh??

Did the battery on the car die or get disconnected? If so, it will require the code which is printed on a card that "should" be in with your owner's manual.  To use that code, find the four buttons on the lower right side of the radio.  Presuming the number is (eg.) 2345, press the first button twice to enter the first number. Use the second button and press it three times  and so on.  If you do not have the code. you need to take your vehicle ownership to an MB dealer and they can look it up for you.  

If the dealership is telling you they "can't" look it up, it sounds like they just don't want to be bothered.    

Smart radio reset buttons.jpg

after you have the code entered you need to push the bottom right button to the left of the display....I think it is the cd button...

Do you have the owners handbook? I have seen a couple with this number code written inside it in the radio section.....the car did come with a business card sized card with this code on it which is another thing to hunt for...just saying...or if you really can't find it, think aftermarket radio and rewire it in....that way you get all the bells and whistles of a modern radio...

Did you get the hard start after sitting a few day problem figured out?   My car does that also. If I leave it sit for a few days it's almost like it looses it's fuel prime.