Willys

Well...it's happened....augh...!

16 posts in this topic

Well, it's finally happened......one of the family has fallen to the electric vehicle craze!    
My son the idiot went and leased a Mtz EPHEF or whatever it is called...lol...The one that australian  guy was ranting about on the other thread...lol.  He just wants to fit in I bet....dumb ass..!   Good kid but what can I say.....fell far from the tree on common sense sometimes....but means well...lol.

Even he says it gets a whoping 43 kms on a full charge....!!!!!!    43....are you serious...!  But he did mention a rebate for buying electric, but forgot exactly how much...Hmmm...???  

So the Roberts family is now in good standing when it comes to doing our part for the environment....so does that mean I can keep driving my hopped up 360 gas guzzling pig on a daily basis ....lol.   The government should be paying me to not drive it if you think about it....lol. They would get further if that was the case seeing in the past 15 years it has 10,000 actual miles put on it I think.?

Well it's a sad day.....43 kms....what a JOKE...!

It is fairly complicated with the amount of tech it has to get it to work the best it can......switch this, pull that, pull this lever, flip that switch.....just far too much to do and distract you from actually driving...imho.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, lebikerboy said:

Well, at least one person in the family has some sense...:D

IF you think 43 kms is worth the cost of the difference between a gasoline powered vehicle and the idiotic electric half breed , then I'm afraid you are the same as my son....delusional...!  To put it politely!

Edited by Willys

7 hours ago, niteshooter said:

Did he buy a golf cart? 

It would have been far more useful...lol

43 kms per FULL charge then switch to gas....what a joke...it's almost criminal imho to be able to market it as an electrical vehicle pulling the wool over the eyes of idiotic folks who think they are making a difference...lol

Other than SAR callouts I can't remember the last time I drove further than 43km.  That'd be spot on for me.

8 hours ago, Chopper said:

Other than SAR callouts I can't remember the last time I drove further than 43km.  That'd be spot on for me.

That is the difference between England and I expect Europe to North America........we live with place to roam and spread out . Nothing except the major cities are planned to save space....lol. We have land to spare here. I seriously couldn't get groceries within that 43 km limit.  I can get fuel though...lol. BUT, our bank has a charging station behind it for one of their big wigs I bet but that is it for charging stations I think within that drive.  The bank and grocery store isn't really within a walking distance to allow you to charge and shop for food, so that suggestion doesn't help...before you suggest it...lol.   Now if you drive the same distance again to the next larger town there are a few charging stations now popping up I see.....but that'll be further than the 43 km  distance.
So you see why I am firmly against this electric idea until they deliver a useful battery range like the tesla has. That imho is the only electric vehicle worth buying at the moment. IF you must do your part to save the planet that is. Nice car also.

But these half breeds are just a joke......either do it right or why bother..?

Just cos you got land doesn't compell you to drive all over it.  The British Isles are about 1000 miles and to end, and I only drive on a tiny bit of it.  If I couldn't get groceries within 43km then I'd be living in the wrong place.  That's something North Americans really need to get a grip of because complaining about it won't help when the oil has either gone or becomes too expensive to simply burn.

I like very few people around me and fresh air to breathe........also a very large lake to enjoy 1000 yards off my driveway.  There are far less idiots around us in the country on the roads to worry about. You can actually look at the surrounding countryside while driving and not worry about some lets say less competent driver smashing into you. I bet I can drive 1000 yards and not look at the road at any given time......yes completely safe and recommended I know, but it's possible...lol.

I have a friend who's son does live in the rat race areas and did buy a short distance double D cell machine...lol....for his wife to drive next door to get her groceries. He could almost use it also but the range is too short for even him to get to work so he bought a Chevy Volt.....I know nothing about this vehicle, but my buddy says his son boasts far longer distances and he can even visit my buddy in the countryside...lol.  So now there may be 2 black magic powered vehicles worth buying if what he says is true...?  The Tesla and this Volt...?

Hmmmmm......yep we got land all right......but there is only one real route from side to side and even less north to south once you get far enough north.  So it's not like we can drive all over it. I have tried my best though. I owned heavily modified Jeeps for 25 years, then switched to heavily modified ATVs and lastly a motorcycle capable of riding on the worse roads we own......so yes I have almost been everywhere man, as Johnny Cash sang....lol.   I have one big adventure left in me I think, maybe....I want to get to the Arctic Ocean and dip the toes in it during the summer months.....there now is a road that'll get you there. It's called the Dempster Highway, I have ridden it 3 times already but it wasn't complete, now it is and gets you to Tuktiuktuk   the furthest north you can drive to without using an ice road. It's past Dawson City.....a fantastic place......and the last time I did that run I covered 26,000 kms in 5 weeks...!   Will a well set up Smart make it....we'll see....it's what I'm working towards.

A 1000 miles....bawk....lol

And yes I have driven all over England also.

The Volt is a plug-in series hybrid. The gas engine does not directly drive the wheels. Instead its only purpose is to act as a "range extender," driving a generator to power the batteries and electric motors.

The Volt has been discontinued by GM.

They also make the Bolt, which is pure electric, and has a range of up to 410 km (city driving) or 349 km (highway).

Just like smarts, electric vehicles don't work for everyone, or every use case. There's no need to crap all over the very idea of them just because they don't work for you. 

My mistake it was a BOLT....he works for the dealership and gets it free of charge......I have no problem with the electric vehicle as i have maybe pointed out...it's their range and lack of it that I find useless........so this new option is starting to make some sense.   This and the Tesla are capable of dealing with my distance requirements on a day to day need.   I have always said my Smart was a toy to me.....similar to a motorcycle.....but the only saving grace it has is that it gets such fabulous mileage numbers and it can be driven year round......but again still a toy imho.  At the moment it's all i require of a vehicle as a daily driver. I have no desire to stop using it.....
We could also get into the over all costs etc, which I do not yet see as better yet.....that will be proven over time, or will it?   They will not build a vehicle that will be so economical to own and operate that we will keep it long term. They demand we keep buying new vehicles almost every 5 years or less so they continue to rake in the cash. So, these electric vehicles must stay within the rules of the game in this regard also.     That is what I wonder about.....?

Just a thought.....many of us require at least one vehicle in our fleet to own a tow hitch........trailers, boats ski-do, atvs etc etc.......I wonder how this will be addressed when owning an electric vehicle...?  

I have just gone electric. 250/ 1000 watt pushbike. Max mileage so far along undulating forest tracks is 45 km. That is without pedalling. Total cost was £320. Battery the most expensive part. China made electric wheel kit arrived without any rim tape. Wonder where these Chinese sales people get their brains from.  Must be as inept and stupid as Trump et al. 

3 hours ago, Willys said:

1 - They demand we keep buying new vehicles almost every 5 years or less so they continue to rake in the cash.

2 - Just a thought.....many of us require at least one vehicle in our fleet to own a tow hitch........trailers, boats ski-do, atvs etc etc

1 - This is why I spent the extra money (at the time, nearly double what other small cars cost)  and bought a quality car and properly maintained it.  After almost 31 years, I still have that car and it still runs flawlessly.

2 - The "quality car" that I bought ('89 Honda Civic) has a trailer hitch as does my 44 year old Honda Gold Wing.

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

I have just gone electric. 250/ 1000 watt pushbike. Max mileage so far along undulating forest tracks is 45 km. That is without pedalling.

I have a 15 year old e-bike that has a similar range (45km) Purchase price was $300 and a few years ago, new batteries ($160)  I use it a lot for small local trips.

Honda Civic with Trailer.jpg

Honda GL with trailer 01.jpg

Gio by a pond.jpg

2 people like this

I like the idea and look personally, but one winch use and you'll be walking home i bet.  It for some reason looks more robust than a typical Smart.....not sure what make it is, but it is nice.....and I like the lifted stance.

Isn't the winch the main means of propulsion?

2 people like this