Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smartroman

Wont start again after idling fine for 5 minutes

34 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Willys said:

That pin is almost directly under the rear of the drivers seat or maybe in he middle of it, tucked up on the back of a formed section of the floor pan.....it'll have maybe 6 wires running to it all light brown in colour from what I remember. You'll see it better if under vehicle and looking forwards. It's in front of the fuel filter area, a bit further towards the middle of the seat pan.

It is simply a pin that has so many wires with "O" Rings  and a single nut holding them all exposed.

Could it possibly be different on the Diesel model? I took that plastic cover off and crawled underneath the rear of the car, but saw nothing towards the back except 4 small wires running over top of the fuel tank, and overtop of the cross member into the engine bay. Haven’t been able to find this pin. Maybe it’s towards to front on this one?

I’ve also tightened the battery leads, hooked up jumpers from the negative terminal to body, and from the engine block to the body as well. 

Is is there any way it could be a lack of fuel pressure from the fuel pump? Hence running for a few minutes then dying because fuel pump is tired? 

3 hours ago, Smartroman said:

Could it possibly be different on the Diesel model? I took that plastic cover off and crawled underneath the rear of the car, but saw nothing towards the back except 4 small wires running over top of the fuel tank, and overtop of the cross member into the engine bay. Haven’t been able to find this pin. Maybe it’s towards to front on this one?

I’ve also tightened the battery leads, hooked up jumpers from the negative terminal to body, and from the engine block to the body as well. 

Is is there any way it could be a lack of fuel pressure from the fuel pump? Hence running for a few minutes then dying because fuel pump is tired? 

Do you not have a CDi....I thought all 450's were CDi...?   My mistake.....the wires are coming from many locations, not the fuel filter necessarily.....I did it last year and with my memory that's like 20 years....lol.   Sorry.

1 person likes this

On 6/3/2019 at 2:33 PM, Smartroman said:

Hello all, my 450cdi turned itself off after 5 minutes of running with fresh alternator and serpentine belt. After it turned itself off, it cranked, but wouldn't start afterwards. Any suggestions? Everything seems in place. 

Quick update: Same thing happened today. Fuel pumping through both send and return lines. Ran for a few minutes, blip of gas, and engine dies. Attempts to fire at first crank rotation, but continues cranking with no catching. Exact same thing happened one year ago, and car hasn't been started since then, until today. It seems to have both fuel and spark. Could this be a problem with air- fuel mixture?

So it is a CDI so we're both looking at the same vehicle....just saying.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Smartroman said:

stand at the rear of the car,  open the engine cover and look just above the intercooler fan.   there is a stud sticking down from the metal rim that the engine cover sits on.  this is the multi ground point.  (i think its a 10mm nut).

it might be partially hidden by the engine bay insulation.

1 person likes this

Here's a pic of my 2005 DIESEL parts car.

My finger is touching the bolt just inside and under the floor pan.

My running 2005 is also a diesel.

In Canada you could only get the smarts in Diesel 2005 2006 not sure on 2007

Gas only 2008 and on.

SAM_0813a.jpg

18 minutes ago, BWM said:

Here's a pic of my 2005 DIESEL parts car.

My finger is touching the bolt just inside and under the floor pan.

My running 2005 is also a diesel.

In Canada you could only get the smarts in Diesel 2005 2006 not sure on 2007

Gas only 2008 and on.

SAM_0813a.jpg

I think there's something missing there....lol

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Willys said:

I think there's something missing there....lol

Yep just about everything in the engine bay is gone.

On the front floor boards is everything that,s not bolted to the motor n trans.

Air box, inter cooler, axles, etc.

I got the parts car with my Smart when I bought it as a pkg deal.

Ya can't have enough spare parts IMO.

2 people like this

Thanks everyone! After trying out different ground points, I was lucky enough to get the car started again, and had to really push the motor to cough up some old congealed diesel and now it starts turnkey. So I believe I had some shit diesel stuck in the line somewhere. Thanks again for all of your help!

1 person likes this