Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwight

D-Day 75th Anniversary

10 posts in this topic

This old girl delivered paratroopers to the landing site on D-Day. She subsequently entered post-war service and last worked for Environment Canada, carrying meteorological test equipment. She was donated to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, where she underwent a full restoration, and she took to the skies again just last week.61771080_10157169124656280_4732779241198845952_n.jpg61599367_10157169041056280_1818318733119062016_o.jpg

2 people like this

As a smart car group, we visited the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton a few years ago in an event that was called a Mystery Run.  Well attended event and the CWHM was on the list of sites to visit.  We spent just over 2 hours there, and it really wasn't enough time.  Fascinating place.  One photo added below.  Anyone interested in seeing some of the other photos from that 'run', feel free to browse my (Ron Sale)  FB photos.  Look for the album titled "2013 Mystery Run".

Lockheed CF-104 Starfighter.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I volunteered there for a few years while I was still living in Oakville. I have many fond memories (and great stories) of the aircraft, the people who flew in them, veterans, family members, and the general public who love those planes. 

For his 75th birthday, we sent my dad on a flight in a Harvard trainer which entered service the year he was born. Amazing that those DC-3/C-47s are still going strong more than 75 years later. Flying on a DC-3 was a life goal fulfilled.

Edited by darren
1 person likes this

We were there two weeks ago: Juno, Bény-sur-Mer cemetery, plus the US site (which was totally inaccessible due to preparations for the events today).

...oh and of course we visited Pilot Officer Ferguson's grave at St-Martin-des-Entrées, which is in a civilian graveyard.  He died in early 1943 while on a D-Day preparation scouting reconnaissance mission.  The locals buried him with honours at the local cemetery and the Nazis were disturbed by the amount of respect so they sent ten people involved in the burial to concentration camp.  Only 6 got out.....

My father was a career army man who joined up in 1943. I grew up on camp Shilo surrounded by vets.My next door neighbour had been with the 1st Paras and had jumped into D day. Another neighbour had landed with the Queens Own Rifles  - 10 years later he was still picking shrapnel out of his arm and back.

These guys never talked about their war time experience! TRUE HEROES!

This is a Canadian made movie that I enjoyed. Storming Juno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7H_v27BamI

2 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

My father was a corporal and a phys-ed instructor at camp Borden, specializing in hand-to-hand combat.

He was shipped over in 1943 on the Queen Mary, tasked with training physical combat techniques.

My father-in-law was an able seaman on board the mine-sweeper HMCS Georgian.

These men were cut from a different cloth than people of today.  

Edited by smartnhappy
1 person likes this

These men were cut from a different cloth than people of today.  

I have to agree with this 100% unfortunately I'm afraid...........when you see who and what the young teenagers are today.  I hope if they are called upon they will prove me wrong but I highly doubt they would.  Sadly. 
The men or boys of the past just seem to have shone so much brighter with their heroism and honor for their countries.  What they did was unbelievable in so many ways......truly heroic.

I have know only a few vets who went to that war...most have left us.....none spoke of what they experienced...only said they hope it never happens again...then silence and staring at the floor or out the window. So you know they went straight back to that time...

As I get older it effects me more and more as you realize what they actually did for us to have the lives we do today.

They all should have far more respect given to them than what they get ....imho.

And on that note, even full grown adults like those on Victoria City Council on 'the Island' are clueless tools.... Ben Isitt should be in jail for treason, Helps as well.

(don't call it Vancouver Island, they will be offended)