Matadurr

VESS Speaker Location?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all, going to be picking up an old 2013/2014 Smart ED now that they’re hitting sub $5k on the used market for commuting purposes. 

I’ve test driven a few and they ride fine for the size, but I’ve noticed the virtual engine sound system is much much louder than on my i-MiEV or my past Ioniq electric. Annoyingly so. 

Anyone here know where the speaker for the VESS is located so I can access it and lower the volume manually?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've never had any sound coming from my Smart ED. What country are you in? I'm in Canada. Maybe there's a requirement for that where you are located? In my opinion, that would be really annoying and I don't think I would want to buy a car that produced artificial noise like that. Hopefully you can turn that garbage off.

Edited by DrZaius

Yeah in USA most EVs produce some sort of sound when below 20mph. Oddly my Tesla doesn’t. I know some VESS speakers are easily accessible like the one on the Fiat 500e. If anything I would just want to duct tape over it to make it slightly less obnoxious. 

I just purchased a 2013 one in red earlier this week. When it arrives from a carrier (hopefully next week...?) I’ll take a look and see if I can find the speaker without having to tear too much things apart. 

It's located down in the front of the car, on the passenger side.  :)

451 EV noise maker.jpg

1 person likes this

Excellent! So are you just looking through the front hood opening for this photo? Trying to orient the angle. 

Yes, looking down with the service flap removed.  You can see the passenger side wheel rim at the top of the photo.....:)

1 person likes this