Rusty

Fuel in wheel well 450 cdi

6 posts in this topic

New to smart cars. Just bought a Canadian 2005 Fortwo cdi and I noticed that there’s diesel fuel on the wheel well located below the fuel filler tube.

Is this a common issue and what’s usually the problem?

6F9130AD-B51F-4C92-82AC-DCE4436456AE.jpeg

That's a new one for me.

Looks like you will have t get the wheel and liner off and start looking to see where the leak is.

There is a little hole in the bottom of the “cup” of the filler neck, to catch overflow when overfilling or when the foam spills over. I always assumed it connected back into the filler tube, but perhaps it just drains out?

2 hours ago, darren said:

There is a little hole in the bottom of the “cup” of the filler neck, to catch overflow when overfilling or when the foam spills over. I always assumed it connected back into the filler tube, but perhaps it just drains out?

It just drains off.  ...  If you over-fill or get a little foam, it will dribble down and come out in front of the right rear wheel.

Last week I dropped the fuel tank (posted about that). I was figuring there would be a junction between the filler/vent tubes and the tank. But I couldn't find anything. I dropped the tank in one piece, and had it mostly dangling from the filler tube (supported the weight) while I removed the fuel pump from the top. For this thread, I can contribute that there is nothing between the filler cap and the tank that will leak (unless, of course something is cracked). It must be the overflow drain.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully then it was just an overfill and nothing is cracked. I'll clean it off and if it happens again I'll update this post.