Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

Chinese Oil Filter Adaptor

10 posts in this topic

My last Smart car had an oil filter adaptor imported from the UK and it was expensive. Decided to try a Chinese made one this time around. Ordered from Aliexpress under the brand VOLM. Took about a week to get here.

IMG_0677.jpgIMG_0675.jpg

The fit was good - its close to the CV boot, but doesn't make contact. No leaks after driving for about 30min. I don't usually use FRAM filters, but this was the only one available from CT that's less than $20! FRAM PH3593A - a list can be found on evilution for the M20 thread. This was the biggest filter that I found from the list - trying to increase my oil capacity.

1 person likes this

IMHO, it will contact by the looks of the pic when the shaft moves within it's range but pics aren't accurate....interesting though.
I am after a oil pan with plug, sick and tired of the mess of the sucker and also must have engine warn to get oil to travel easily.

17 hours ago, Willys said:

IMHO, it will contact by the looks of the pic when the shaft moves within it's range but pics aren't accurate....interesting though.
I am after a oil pan with plug, sick and tired of the mess of the sucker and also must have engine warn to get oil to travel easily.

Go to CTC buy a 1/2" fine thread nut and a short bolt with threads up to the head.

Got to the self help parts and see if they have an oil plug that fits the nut (older fords were 1/2" nf IIRC) or at least get a 1/2".

Take off your oil empty oil pan, easy job.

Drill 1/2" hole around the front edge passenger side of the pan.

Clean off the paint around the hole.

Stick the bolt through the hole from the inside out and hand tighten the nut on.

Now weld or braze the nut only to the pan.

Once cool seal using a coating of JB weld just to be sure.

Remove the bolt and if you want to paint the pan.

Put the pan back on the motor and if you found a pan plug put it in and tighten.

If you didn't find a pan plug put the plug casket onto the 1/2" bolt and use that as your drain plug.

Note doesn't work on aluminum unless you can weld it correctly.

I would but my pan is too badly rusted and dented...or it would be done by now...lol....so I'll spend huge I think for new pan with plug.....sniff sniff.

26 minutes ago, BWM said:

Take off your empty oil pan, easy job.

Not always easy!

On more than one occasion I've had the head of the E8 bolt snap off.

And sometimes difficult to break the sealant holding the pan on.

And it's messy because there is always some oil left in the pan and I always get some on me :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

I have 2 bolts stripped and will require heat and convincing.....so it'll be an ugly job when I get to it...also the oil is thick and cold...so doubt if sucker will even move it....so it'll be getting a hole punched into the old pan if not one drilled nicely. lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

I could've sold you my extra! I ordered 2....hahaha

@Willys No contact...checked again today. My UK one was close too, but never had any issues - I did use a smaller filter in the past.

Edited by stickman007
2 people like this

Donaldson filters available from Finning will come in a nice long size and be relatively inexpensive.

Just doing some research here for M20 filters. I went on a WIX filter site and found a few long filters that MIGHT work. I'm really interested in increasing the oil capacity...not sure if it'll have any adverse effect.

PH3593A - 3.03" OD x 3.39" Length, gasket 2.13" OD and 2.42" OD

WIX M20x1.5 that are approx the OD of the FRAM filter that I used above:

51285 - 2.967" OD x 5.811" Length, gasket 2.37" ID and 2.74" OD

WL7433 - 3.03" OD x 3.35" Length, gasket 2.44" ID and 2.8" OD

WL7457 - 3.03" OD x 3.74" Length, gasket 2.44" and 2.79" OD

None of the WIX filters with gasket OD that was around 2.42" were over 3" in length