Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthews

Hi all

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I am now a proud owner of the 2009 Smart for two white/black with only 15k km! I drove only a couple of hundreds of km but I already love it. I go camping for a day trip with my wife pretty often, but I was wondering if it's ok to put a camping fridge in the cargo area of the Smart since there is an engine and it produces heath. It may be a silly question, but thank you for understanding.

:welcome: to the club and congratulations on your new-to-you smart.  Photos?  ( we're a nosey bunch and love seeing other peoples smarts )

Very little heat, if any actually enters the cabin area while you are driving.  While parked, it would be a good idea to leave the windows ajar (presuming it's not raining) just so the fridge doesn't have to work too hard to overcome the cabin temperatures on a hot day.

Thanks!

So I decided against putting the fridge in the trunk, because of the cooler size, and the fact that I need to put other valuable things in it.

Getting a roof rack seems like a bad idea to me because you move the center of gravity up, which I guess may affect stability on the road and of course the gas mileage.

So this picture that I found online inspired me to get a hitch cargo carrier and put the cooler and other gear for the trip behind. For me it looks like an excellent idea to improve the cargo capacity of these cars.

o.jpg

I have a 26 qt. Grizzly cooler https://www.recreationid.com/orca/orca-hard-sided-classic-cooler-1665172864.html that I used to carry in the bed of my Ram 1500, It doesn't say that it's weatherproof, but hopefully it will be safe in the basket if I tie it down.

Anyone else used such racks on their Smart cars, and is it a good idea to get one?

P.S. Attached the Dealers pic of my Smarty:

my smarty.jpg

They make small trailers for motor cycles.

With a little looking you can find slightly larger ones that would work behind a Smart.

Guess it depends on how much you plan to tote along.

7 hours ago, BWM said:

They make small trailers for motor cycles.

With a little looking you can find slightly larger ones that would work behind a Smart.

Guess it depends on how much you plan to tote along.

That's genius! I'll go research it!

I am currently building something very similar to the above trailer. except I used 500 # torsion axles and my net weight is around 120#. giving me a 380 # payload. going to use a plastic rooftop pod bolted to it to start with but may custom build one with carbon fiber....if I ever get to it. of course it will be painted to match smarty's panels..