Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Anyone bought one of these yet...?

11 posts in this topic

As the heading says, has anyone bought one of these yet and if so how is it?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Smart-ForTwo-City-Coupe-Cabrio-450-Oil-Pan-with-drain-screw-A1600140002/254250292128?epid=726989918&hash=item3b327f93a0:g:GOwAAOSwEzxYRsSQ

I want a normal drain plug type oil pan from now on....I must be able to drain oil if the oil is cold and so far the sucker won't lift the oil out through it's tiny hose.....also it's messy imho. Easier and just better using a drain plug 
Thanks for any help or do you know of a better product or vendor..?

Some people love the sucking method, others, like yourself do not.  I'm sure that somewhere on the site there is a discussion or two about the plusses and minuses of both methods.  I am heading out right now or I would do the search and post a link for you.

Messy?  I can do the oil change with a Pela in business clothing.  I wouldn't try that with a drain.

1 person likes this

I find changing the filter just as messy as draining the oil, so seeing as I am under anyway, why not a simple drain plug...?

3 hours ago, MikeT said:

Messy?  I can do the oil change with a Pela in business clothing.  I wouldn't try that with a drain.

my business clothes are coveralls.....lol

2 people like this

I don't have a piece of clothing without an oil stain of some sort on it, I'm sure....lol.

OK, it's bought and paid for, now the waiting begins...lol

Edited by Willys

i bought and used 2 of them...

got them right from the source though (shenzen)...thru aliexpress...i seem to remember them being cheaper than what you posted 

germanparts dot ca also sells them out of toronto with a bit of markup but you get it a lot quicker

one specific thing i remember was that it arrive in my post box...i was kind of surprised that it was that small

takes about 10 minutes to install if your bolts arent rotted away

The Pela is even better on the Mercedes - the oil filter is accessed from above through the open hood, long extension 27 mm.  All done while standing up, business attire or otherwise.

Since going to the Pela, I've never gone back to draining from the bottom. As MikeT pointed out, way more clean. The oil filter on my GLI is on top, so I never have to crawl under or remove plastic liners.