Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

paint color

10 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering what this paint color is. I have the paint guide of evolution and I think it's " Bay Grey Metallic ". But I just want to be sure before I order some touch up paint.  

IMG_20190617_203610.jpg

Beware ! !  Tiny touch-up paint containers from MB can be so far off the actual colour that you are wanting.  I wanted touch-up paint for minor chips in the plastic panels of my silver smart.  Expensive, and completely the wrong colour.  I went back to MB and even had the car there so they could see the difference in person.  (The difference is MUCH clearer in the daylight)  They sold me another touch-up container and I tested it ........ Still the wrong colour.

The photos (attached) show the difference, but you have to look closely.  I'm sure the paint that MB supplied to me was for the tridion .... NOT for the panels.  No refund on the touch-up containers because they had been opened.

Silverwing paint 04.jpg

Silverwing paint 03.jpg

Silverwing paint 02.jpg

Silverwing paint 01.jpg

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Leadwing said:

Beware ! !  Tiny touch-up paint containers from MB can be so far off the actual colour that you are wanting.  I wanted touch-up paint for minor chips in the plastic panels of my silver smart.  Expensive, and completely the wrong colour.  I went back to MB and even had the car there so they could see the difference in person.  (The difference is MUCH clearer in the daylight)  They sold me another touch-up container and I tested it ........ Still the wrong colour.

The photos (attached) show the difference, but you have to look closely.  I'm sure the paint that MB supplied to me was for the tridion .... NOT for the panels.  No refund on the touch-up containers because they had been opened.

yes,  i can see the difference.    (love your car btw).   did you do a complete repaint on the doors and the nose?

The plastic bits are a different silver to the metal bits I think by how i see the pics, just to give contrast....imho.....the dealership just gave him the wrong silver I bet!  Typical.   Yes it's a nice car.....

22 minutes ago, Sydney said:

yes,  i can see the difference.    (love your car btw).   did you do a complete repaint on the doors and the nose?

( Thanks :) )   The car has not been repainted .. ever.  I bought it with just over 4,000kms on it and it looked the same then as it does now.  The difference is even more dramatic when viewed in person in the daylight rather than in a photo.

BTW, the total nose section was replaced a couple of years ago with another silver nose cone due to an unfortunate collision with a deer.  The doors were not affected.

6 minutes ago, Willys said:

The plastic bits are a different silver to the metal bits I think by how i see the pics, just to give contrast....imho.....the dealership just gave him the wrong silver I bet!  Typical.   Yes it's a nice car.....

After the first issue with the paint touch-up, I took the remaining container back to MB and they double checked through their book and assured me that this was, indeed, the correct paint.  I made it quite plain to the guy in the parts department that there is a noticeable difference and that the touch-up I received was not right, but he insisted that it was correct for the panels.

"Yes it's a nice car....."  Thanks, I like it too :D 

1 person likes this

so can anyone confirm my color ?   is it " bay grey metallic "

i dont know the color but i would suggest going to a good automotive paint shop and they have tools to read the actual colors and mix a can up for you 

the sun affects colors ...they can mix up a small batch of something to match the faded color

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Sydney said:

so can anyone confirm my color ?   is it " bay grey metallic "

I believe it is, indeed, bay grey metallic.  Glenn (smart142) should be able to confirm, since he had one.

1 person likes this

When I had to get replacement panels re-painted on my Star Blue Metallic smart, the body shop told me that there were actually four or five colours under that name. They were all very close, but had very slightly different colour formulations. We ended up matching the closest one based on the colour chips, not the paint codes. Clearcoats can fade and yellow over time, affecting the look of the paint underneath. 

5 hours ago, Leadwing said:

I believe it is, indeed, bay grey metallic.  Glenn (smart142) should be able to confirm, since he had one.

Yup, that's the bay grey metalic

1 person likes this