Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

Doubling up on zuuk

41 posts in this topic

Been an interesting week!

Sunday I went out to Hope and came home with a 2006 Grand Vitara - 165k - manual transmission equipped which means fulltime AWD, and no RWD, 4x4 lock or 4x4 low like the higher end automatics have..... They'd put a new clutch in I last year, so this thing should be safe for quite awhile maintenance wise.

Then yesterday, I came home with a collector plate eligible 1990 Sidekick... just 143k and seriously clean condition.... I can't find anything yet that would disqualify it from the collector plates here in BC, but will start that process ASAP after the weekend. 3 speed automatic...!

Seeing as the Mazda CX-5 is gone (since April), and I have TWO zuuks…. I have had to alter my screen name again - back to smartzuuk

Suzuki's I have owned:

1989 Chevy Sprint

2000 Grand Vitara

2001 XL-7

2002 Aerio Sedan

1989 Sidekick softop

1994 Sidekick 4-door

1990 Sidekick softop

1992 Samurai

1996 X-90

1997 X-90

1996 X-90 (another one)

1999 Vitara 2 door convertible

2001 Esteem (didn't drive it much)

1990 Tracker softop

2000 Grand Vitara

2003 Grand Vitara

2006 Grand Vitara (just purchased)

1990 Sidekick softtop and removable hardtop - time capsule clean (just purchased)

also drove a 1993 Sidekick that was my girlfriends of the day

Still on the prowl for a circa 1994 four door Sidekick/Tracker in clean enough shape for collector plates

Wow, that's a lot of Suzukis! 

What makes a car qualify for collector status?

In BC, generally, the vehicle has to be 25 years old, and meet condition criteria. Once your application is accepted, you get plates for it, and a reduced insurance rate. You are then required to have another vehicle fully insured (not another collector plate vehicle) at all times, and you cannot use your collector plated vehicle for things like to/from work. So for me, 1994 era is really handy, as there are a lot of potential vehicles that could qualify (and that I like).... although I should have bought them a few years ago already.... ;) 

I've got a buyer up in Prince George for my low km 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. Sad to see it go in some respects.... but I'm on a roll with smarts and Suzuki's, so going to keep the cashflow (and driveway space) available.... The Mitsu was just about a free rental for 6500 kms and bridged the gap between the CX-5 and now nicely.... Friend's daughter will make good use of it. just under 100 kms and no rust, so it's very much a cream puff for Prince George.

The Grand Vitara is off kilter on the rear passenger side - so it's pulling up the opposing corner in the photo, LOL..... I was like, hey, is that why I got such a great deal? ;) 

Actually, the only issue right now to sort out is a rattling shield on the exterior of the catalytic where there is also a rusty clamp that needs replacing, so I will take care of that once I get it onto some ramps again

Even the engine oil is good for 2000 more kms

Picked up a near new rooftop tent in Grand Forks on Saturday. It also came with a full annex room with floor which would surround the side of the vehicle where the ladder is, but didn't put it up on the one night we camped near the old townsite for Phoenix City at Marshall Lake rec site....

IMG_20190622_183532538.jpg

IMG_20190622_183549181.jpg

stickman007 was heading along the same route one day after us on the way to the lower mainland...

I sent him a picture of his rock!

This is on Hwy 3 between Keremeos and Hedley, westbound.

IMG_20190623_142401262.jpg

1 person likes this

Unfortunately, izzy's turbo in the canada1 couple went, and so he couldn't bring the car along on this trip.... 

We did get an appearance though of another canada1 - with MikeT's old strikelines, which look really good where they are.

Four smart owners having dinner with two wives, three have owned canada1's, one of them has owned two of them (each of the cars the other two now own) - I still haven't figured out the riddle on this one.

IMG_20190624_210556_01.jpg

IMG_20190624_200732077.jpg

4 people like this

This photo is from May this year - that's my 451 pure coupe along with the passion cdi cabriolet I picked up last year which went to a friend and his son.... which also features strikelines which I had added prior to moving it along!

IMG_20190518_115550062_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this

The Outlander is going to a new home this weekend and will reside in Prince George, Just hitting 100,000 km now (ODO is in miles). Goes with a set of steelies and near new snows from my Mazda CX-5 which fit.

So it's back to a smart and two zuuks for now. Wife has the 2011 Legacy still - just over 160 kms. Timing belt due soon on it and front brakes. No sign of head gasket leak, so it's gonne stay in the fleet - it's the longest we've had a car - over 8 years now! ;) (Only because she drives it and doesn't want to change, and it's been VERY reliable.)

IMG_20190621_113247446.jpg

IMG_20190621_113630307.jpg

1 person likes this

I tripled up on zuuk as of yesterday - bought a 2004 XL7 5 seater automatic yesterday in Langford.... loaning to a friend and now have the smart 451 back

Officially # 19

Sold the XL7 off within a week - dog smell was too much for much....

Bought a Sunrunner a bit after that, just as a beater, it's going by the wayside as well, but that officially makes # 20....

Also sold the 451 smart the same day as the XL7 - seems everyone wanted wheels right there and then.

So smartless again, but have three zuuks til the Sunrunner goes

Down to two zuuks, as the sunrunner went within hours of listing it

Someone in MIssion is on their 8th smart - way to go! Post here and do tell!

1990 Sidekick went to a new home yesterday officially.... so down to just ONE zuuk (06 GV), plus an 08 Volvo C30 I picked up not so long ago.

And I must be slow, but I just realized that the Fiat 500 is disappearing from North America now! I mention this as I was in an Abarth the other day and was suitably impressed. Will wait for the used models to hit the shelf cheap....

Still keeping one eye open for the next deal on a smart - would like a 451 convertible or in due time, a 453.... there will be cheap 453's once car2go starts dumping them

Car2Go has already started.  My sister bought one with about 15,000kms on it for around $6,000 about 3 months ago.  Mind you, it was a 451, not a 453.

451's galore out here, but they often sell for $3-4k, but with higher kms…..

I should activate my membership again and at least test drive a 453.... I have never even been in one!!!!

And now for something different! Not 100% different mind you, but different for sure!

2000 Pajero I/O with 86000 kms, 2.0 gas (GDI) 5 speed manual, 4-low transfer case

Fresh import from Japan, not used by anyone here prior to me!

Very clean, near new Yokohama tires on it, a few silly bits to make it compliant with TC regs...

My first time ever driving a RHD, and shifting with the left hand, and the turn signal is on right of the wheel..... LOL, so all my left turns have resulted in cleaner windows so far!! :o 

Got a great deal.... $6950 out the door with taxes.....

And then of course in came the e-mail on a Sequoia I had been interested in (may as well have been a Hummer or Durango hey?)

Owner was away for two week.

Turns out it has just 112,000 kms - going for $7500, oh well... can't own them all

hehehehehe

I will be buying another RHD more than likely

Suzukis are becoming so difficult to find now and they are getting expensive as heck

I will get my 4x4 stuff from the RHD import market now I think, maybe even try a sedan or wagon too....

Pajero_a.jpg

Pajero_c.jpg

Pajero_f.jpg

Pajero_o.jpg

Pajero_t.jpg

It has a lot of light in the front... I need to polish up the headlights and get covers for the bush lights.... the fogs are nice, and it also has some LED strips for daytime running lights.... some reflectors on the side were added (ugly as heck). Everything by the book and inspected properly. Clean enough for basically 20 years old. The mudflaps have to become black.... lol but better than none!

I am shying away from diesels at this point, as well as the 660 cc stuff. I don't need an STI next, but they make a Skyline sedan that looks sharp, I think it is a G35 basically.... I was also interested in possibly getting a Nissan Stagea (with vanity plate 'VOLVNO') LOL..... anyway, get a chuckle if you like. Driving on the wrong side of the right side.

Hmmm....strange, we have a guy importing Japan vehicles not 20 kms away from me and he has the almost exact vehicle here I think but in navy blue or black?  I looked at his mini trucks, cab over design, but they can't keep up with traffic here, so no good.  But if they could get another 20 kph I'd already own one!  $4500 to $5500 depending upon mileages and they are low!  What a shame....augh!   I didn't look closely at the 4X4's as it was the trucks that I wanted.

Those lights in front of the grille look like "Super Oscars" ... I had a pair on my '74 Gremlin and they were devastatingly bright.  Mine were not fog lights, but rather long distance driving lights.  They only came on when the high-beams were used.  Nice looking vehicle.

$6950? Cars cost a bomb over there.  Old Shogun Pinin's (as they're known here) struggle to get anywhere near £1000, with nearer 5 or 600 sovs more the norm.  

They're recent little cars, very few good ones left over here.

5 hours ago, Leadwing said:

Those lights in front of the grille look like "Super Oscars" ... I had a pair on my '74 Gremlin and they were devastatingly bright.  Mine were not fog lights, but rather long distance driving lights.  They only came on when the high-beams were used.  Nice looking vehicle.

Definitely not Super Oscars.  I have Oscars (the smaller ones).

7 grand for a 19 year old car seems like a heck of a lot, I have to say.

3 hours ago, MikeT said:

I have Oscars (the smaller ones).

The Super Oscars were huge ... like the ones in the photo.  What you may have had were Oscar Pluses.  (I have them on my 44 year old Honda Gold Wing)  The Oscar + lights have a little red plus sign on the lens.

It has become quite pricey for many (but not all) used vehicles.... Canada allows 15 year old vehicles to be imported

So the cost to convert this and get it registered in BC was itself $1300 (invoice in hand - that is what the dealer paid out)

Now add the ocean freight, auction fees, and duty and AC levy and a set of rubber (done separate)

It probably was $1000-2000 USD at auction and then some fees here and there over here too....

I sold a 1990 Sidekick for $6500 recently (owner then pays 12% tax on top)

145 km and 10 years older!!!

I thought $6200 plus 12% tax was quite reasonable given the very clean condition and low kms, but granted, that is quite a bit more than buying a used Pinin in Glasgow... 

but condition of Japanese used vehicles is typically quite high and kms quite low

sort of - you get what you are willing to pay for - as they say

Old Toyotas are $5000-7000 with 300,000 kms on them and rust here, even in fair weather BC

RHD not for everyone, but it's starting to make sense to me given the prices on craigslist

Now, on the other hand, my 2008 Volvo C30 well equipped with 170km was $3000 CAD

1 person likes this