stickman007

Recommendation for Chinese turbo cartridge vendor

58 posts in this topic

Need to keep the C1 running this summer and save up for a decent turbo in the winter.

For those who have purchased cartridges, any recommendation for a decent vendor?

How about simply using a used turbo until you can get a new one? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

mine was a powertec

worked great for the few years i used it 

i remember not being impressed that i had to re-use the o-ring though...they forgot to put one in the package

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914375471.html

if you order from there choose aliexpress standard ship or ems....do not ever choose dhl or fed ex....they will nail you with taxes and brokerage fees...standard and ems usually come thru canada post with no hassle and no crazy fees

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

mine was a powertec

worked great for the few years i used it 

i remember not being impressed that i had to re-use the o-ring though...they forgot to put one in the package

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914375471.html

that seems like a really good price

it definitely is 

and its cheaper than they were a few years back

a few people here used chinese turbo cartridges...i cant recall anyone having problems with them

Hmmmmm.......looks too good not to buy.....no...?

I ended up with this an AliExpress full turbo...this way i can take the oem one off and play with it as I can still drive with the replacement.

7 hours ago, stickman007 said:

I ended up with this an AliExpress full turbo...this way i can take the oem one off and play with it as I can still drive with the replacement.

what was the $ for the full turbo?

It ended up being $360 total including shipping. I requested EMS shipping, but they sent it via fedex - so I’m going get dinged for a brokage fee/taxes when it gets here. Here’s the title and link:

C$ 260.66  26% Off | Turbocharger KP31 54319880002 54319700002 Turbine full turbo for Smart cdi 0.8 CDI 30Kw 40Kw OM660DE08LA OM660DE01LA
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cdC9BsHK

still thats a really good price,  considering you are getting everything as a bolt on unit.   i was looking at a used one on kijiji and the guy wanted over $280 for it.

I wonder....?    What is the real difference between this and a stock version...?   What life span do you expect to get with one..?   As posted above, a great price for a complete unit, no messing just clean and bolt her on.  I would now go and get a new oil return tube while I was at it. I saw one a while back so now need to hunt that down next...lol.   OH.....the temptation .....just think a completely rebuilt power plant would be perfect!

Can I ask.....what are the signs of a bad dying turbo...?   What are we watching for..?   OR is it one of these things that work great until they don't...?  If that is the case.....having a new ready to go turbo is not a bad idea if you can get one at a great price.

2 hours ago, Willys said:

What is the real difference between this and a stock version

aftermarket one definitely has a higher percentage of chinesium alloy and less skookum.

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Unknown metallurgy, nonexistent quality control, and no accountability for the seller...

BUT...it’s cheap!

On ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎28 at 0:12 PM, Willys said:

Can I ask.....what are the signs of a bad dying turbo...?   What are we watching for..?   OR is it one of these things that work great until they don't...?  If that is the case.....having a new ready to go turbo is not a bad idea if you can get one at a great price.

generally either a turbo works or it doesn't. rarely is there much if any warning. usually with trucks and equipment, there is a given service life for the turbo and you can replace it at prespecified intervals to avoid breakdown, or you can take your chances and run it until it fails. water pumps are another example of this. izzy got lucky as his started leaking oil and made a mess.

1 person likes this

A very noticeable whistle (louder that normal) may preceed turbo failure.

Hmmmm.....so....if the car has been driven gentley and not beaten to death......will it last longer? I have one of each I believe....one that has been beaten well and one which looks to be the opposite.....is the reason i ask.

I like the price of said unit, but it's metalurgy is a bit worrying.......would that stop others from risking it?    I'm leaning towards one...?   I need input....

Thanks

Driving the car hard is not the problem, it is turbo abuse, like shutting the car down with a red hot turbo.  For example, after a massive hillclimb.  Let it idle for a  couple of minutes or after a hard run, so it can cool down.  These are old school non-water cooled units so the bearings will coke up and create problems if they're shut down really hot.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:12 PM, Willys said:

i dont even know if mine needed to be changed....i only did it because the engine was already out and i didnt like the amount of play i felt on the compressor impeller or whatever its called on the intake side

my car was a real basket case when i bought it ...it had been taken apart by someone who didnt know what they were doing

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i dont even know if mine needed to be changed....i only did it because the engine was already out and i didnt like the amount of play i felt on the compressor impeller or whatever its called on the intake side

my car was a real basket case when i bought it ...it had been taken apart by someone who didnt know what they were doing

This is why I'm asking, my engine is out and will get refreshed as far as I can go without doing a complete rebuild....and so I also think if it's out, and it's original bits and pieces, it is soon not long for this world......it has 160,000kms.....and I do not want to take it out again just because I didn't change it now.  BUT, the new stocker is far too much imho.

11 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

that's pretty much how you check a turbo. grab the shaft and move it in and out (axially) it should move freely and an almost clicking and no more than about .005" ish. its a feel thing not a measure thing. the shaft should spin freely. then try and move the impeller radially. there should be no discernable movement. if you can feel movement in this direction, change turbo.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Willys said:

This is why I'm asking, my engine is out and will get refreshed as far as I can go without doing a complete rebuild....and so I also think if it's out, and it's original bits and pieces, it is soon not long for this world......it has 160,000kms.....and I do not want to take it out again just because I didn't change it now.  BUT, the new stocker is far too much imho.

the turbo is very easy to change on the car. one of the few very accessible items . shouldn't take more than an hour 

1 person likes this

That's if all the exhaust nuts come off. Sometimes after 13 some years they deform and can cause a lot of grief - don't ask me how I know.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, smart142 said:

That's if all the exhaust nuts come off. Sometimes after 13 some years they deform and can cause a lot of grief - don't ask me how I know.

you gotsta think positive....lol