Sydney

third brake light bulbs

7 posts in this topic

Stupid question, I seached but cant find an answer. I want to change 3 burnt out lights in my 05 cabrio third brake light.

How do I remove the bulbs? Do I need to remove the whole spoiler or just the red lens? It seems that the lens is held on with 2 tiny screws but it does not seem to be torx and I doubt it's a phillips. Mabey the lens is not ment to come off.

The red lens comes off by removing the two screws.  The reflector bar is attached to two contacts at the back of the reflector.  That said, when the bar is out and actually in your hand, you may find that the VERY tiny bulbs are difficult to remove.

I tried, but I have nothing that can grip the bulb without breaking them.

An easier solution might be to find an intact third light at an auto recycler (wrecker).

190630_001.jpg

190701_001.jpg

1 person likes this

I was amazed that they used tiny incandescent bulbs for these, instead of LEDs. 

5 hours ago, darren said:

I was amazed that they used tiny incandescent bulbs for these, instead of LEDs. 

20 year old design and before LEDs were bright enough. 

i might try to modify one and install a led light strip.   

I have an old progressive blinking bar the flashes left for left turns, right for right turns and both directions when brakes are applied.  This is from 1964, so absolutely NO LED's back then. 

In today's world with super bright lights everywhere, these little things go almost totally unnoticed.  If I could modify it to take super-bright LED's, I would.