photonlasers

Ticking sound from engine

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, I just acquired a 2005 450 CDI. My dad and I rebuilt the engine. Had the block and head serviced at machine shop and cylinder bores rehoned, they checked the valves and said it all looks good. We replaced the lifters and rocker arms, piston rings, new bearings, all new seals and gaskets, new turbo, intercooler, starter and alternator rebuilt, deleted egr, cleaned injectors, and of course new belts. We didn't replace the timing chain, tensioner, or guides because they looked good and figured they must have been already done before we bought the car.

I'm hearing a ticking sound from the engine. It isn't terribly loud but noticeable for sure, especially at idle. I'm wondering if this is normal for a CDI? Is this just how they sound? I've heard usually it's lifters but since we replaced them and even put new rocker arms in (new from MB) I can't see how? The timing chain is tight and seems to have likely been replaced before. Is there something I might be missing?

Thanks for the help. Love this car and would like to keep it in the long run.

Cheers.

Edited by photonlasers

Welcome to the club.  Check out Youtube for cdi videos, for engine sound comparisons.

Edited by Huronlad

Welcome to the site......if you are interested .....stickman007 is your local GURU if you wish some help.....PM him for location etc....maybe he's too far away..?
Did you soak the lifters, we used to have to back in the day, I haven't rebuilt a complete car engine in a while...lol. But will soon be at that stage.....and want the same reliability you sound like you do.
Again welcome...great bunch of guys here all willing to help if they can.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. I will be certain to reach out to stickman007!

Concerning the lifters, I did indeed soak them for days and even installed them with the oil gallery hole facing front as per what many people recommended.

I'm starting to think this diesel is just noisy because it runs pretty good other than the noise. Also, not sure if it's normal for the power to drop off between auto gear shifts? Is that just due to no torque converter?

Also it has 120,000 km on it just for more info.

Thanks again! 😀

It is a SCT it shifts as one should expect from such a setup, at the cdi's price point.

Edited by Huronlad

You will experience around 80 MPGs or 3.5 litres per hundred kms driven, which ever way you look at it. That comes with a performance price I'm afraid! No over taking to speak of, minus tractors and stopped buses and garbage trucks, maybe a bicycle...lol. Once you except this you'll learn to love it for what it is, a fuel sipper extreme...!  There isn't many vehicles on the road that can deliver these numbers even hybrids can't.
Record a video of the open engine compartment with sound to let us hear your noise....it just may be normal and you're worrying for nothing. 
The way i look at the performance of this car is like driving a 5 ton moving truck, you must plan any off the mark movements and afterwards it's easy to keep up with traffic as long as they stay under 120......for any length of time.  Some may say different but why push a slow car to death just to get 20 feet further down the road...?    Traffic lights are the ultimate equalizer....you learn this after a few decades behind the wheel....at least it took me that long....lol.

Diesels sound different than gas motors.

Most have a knocking noise or soon will.

Smaller engines seam to be quieter than larger ones.

My 3 cyl Massey 135 sounds like someone took a 1/2 can full of bolts and scraped it to the crankshaft.

In 12 yrs since I've owned it and 6000+ hours on it the sound has never changed.

Check out some videos of other smart diesels running to compare to what yours sound like.

I've got more diesels than my Smart and 1 tractor of many makes and they all rattle, 1 cyl, 2 cyl, 3 3 cyls, 6 4cyls and a V8 all diesel.

The trick with them is knowing what sounds normal and when is making a noise that's a problem.

Best would be if you can find someone local with a diesel Smart and have yours running beside it to compare.

Most you tube videos are lacking in sound quality.

Edited by BWM

Welcome to the lil'smokers club. I drive my 05 CDI 400kms a day back and forth to work on the 401 , including across the City of Toronto. I easily maintain 115kms an hour and average 3.6 to 4.0 l/100km . There is over 190 000km on the clock in mine, I've a custom stainless free flowing exhaust ( no cat, sounds like a micro semi) , EGR delete ( no emulator as of yet). It suffers from a cracked exhaust manifold, a leaking intercooler and I had to jumper wire the lift pump. 
 Feathering the throttle is the key to getting the most bang for your buck. The turbo lag is your nemesis , but once you get used to "riding the wave" of boost you'll find a nimble traffic runner is there. When the Gods of boost have shone upon me I have done extremely fun 135-140km runs for miles.
 The boost drop when the transmission shifts is likely what you are feeling. The transmission is a self shifted manual transmission. No torque converter, it's an actuated clutch and actuated shifter so you have to allow the wait time for shifts. 

Hopefully this helps understand the nuances of these great little beasts. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for all your input. I just did the 900km drive from Vancouver to Calgary. It drove pretty well. I tried to keep it under 2500rpm for the most part as there is a break in period for new or rebuilt engines, so I'm told. Curious how many people here idle after a long drive to let the turbo cool down? How pertinent is it? I bought two turbos from Britain, installed one and keeping the other as a backup. Not too worried but just curious how long a "cool down" should be? 1 min, 5 min?

Edited by photonlasers

Let it idle after boosting on a highway drive for a few minutes.  These tiny turbos are not water cooled so they do suffer from bearing coking.

Okay thanks again everyone. I'm not worried about the ticking sound anymore but I will update with a video sometime later today. It was blowing white smoke last night but I think it may have been bad gas, filled it with Shell premium and it's gone away. The idle advice is good and I do take it seriously, I'll continue to let it cool after driving. I'm starting to think the thermostat is shot (I didn't replace it during the rebuild) as it takes a long time to get up to temperature and maybe the white smoke was related?? I won't know until I let it cool and start it up for another test. Either bad fuel or bad thermostat, I think...I will update soon. Thanks again.