Timohtay

Bearings?

27 posts in this topic

I was actually looking to see if anyone knew the proper torque for a front hub bearing unit on an 05 cdi? Also if anyone has had problems  with their car basically burning through bearings? Bearings replaced and then start to go under 1000 kms? and replaced at the dealership? and there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the car front end wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome from the opposite of the lake...Pefferlaw.

 

IF it went at that sort of mileage i'd be going back and asking them what they did wrong....
They either over tightened them or they were bone dry when they installed them.......and I know they shouldn't need packing like the olden days...lol.   IMHO, they screwed something up.....I'd go back and ask for an answer.....but that's just me. I bet they loved charging you heavy for the work right..?   Maybe I'm mistaken but anything done at a dealership usually means loosing some amount of blood!

Wait for it there will be plenty of folks who will remember the correct torque specs for those bearings....again welcome.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Required torque is 12 daNm.  

 

If new bearings failed only after 100km I suspect either far too

low torque or bearing dust caps are holed. Not uncommon when dealers replace bearings. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the new ones are very cheap on grease too....at the very least you need to add grease into new ones

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 7:35 PM, tolsen said:

Required torque is 12 daNm.  

 

If new bearings failed only after 100km I suspect either far too

low torque or bearing dust caps are holed. Not uncommon when dealers replace bearings. 

You wouldn't know ft lbs would you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i notice some sites recommend 88.5 but they mention to always use new bolt

 

another site says old bolt is fine at 88.5 plus 90 degrees

 

personally i just put it as tight i feel is good and never had one go bad a second time (after adding grease of course)

 

ive re-used old bolts but i do remember getting new bolt included in some of the bearing boxes

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i notice some sites recommend 88.5 but they mention to always use new bolt

 

another site says old bolt is fine at 88.5 plus 90 degrees

 

personally i just put it as tight i feel is good and never had one go bad a second time (after adding grease of course)

 

ive re-used old bolts but i do remember getting new bolt included in some of the bearing boxes

 

 

 

I was always told to use new bolt. Where do I put the grease? Just around the inside? It's a sealed unit? First time I bought one, at the dealership, it was in the box. After that, the bolt was sold separately. I've gone through 3 perside now. The last left one, the dealer replaced the spindle and so far so good although pricey. I bought a bearing online and am going to try it on the right seeing as its going now and see. What can it hurt? Someone told me that the smarts bearings aren't made for high speed highway driving and maybe that's why I'm going through them? I dunno, I just love my car hahaha. Either that or Barrie roads truly due suck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Timohtay said:

I was always told to use new bolt. Where do I put the grease? Just around the inside? It's a sealed unit? First time I bought one, at the dealership, it was in the box. After that, the bolt was sold separately. I've gone through 3 perside now. The last left one, the dealer replaced the spindle and so far so good although pricey. I bought a bearing online and am going to try it on the right seeing as its going now and see. What can it hurt? Someone told me that the smarts bearings aren't made for high speed highway driving and maybe that's why I'm going through them? I dunno, I just love my car hahaha. Either that or Barrie roads truly due suck. 

Oh and the dealership has done all my bearings so far. That's why I'm going to do this one myself and see? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a needle  to slip under seal of the bearings on the grease gun.....if you use it well it shouldn't leave much of a mark or indentation.....it's been a while now.....and I haven't done the Smart's yet....I have been lucky so far with good bearings.

All Ontario's inner city roads are insane imho, especially Gatineau and Ottawa, the one place you would expect almost perfect roads etc seeing as it's the nation's capital...?

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its got seals on it but the inner race is 2 piece...its been awhile but im pretty sure i just pushed out the inboard inner race and packed some in by hand ,,,if youre careful the seal should not get damaged

 

 

theres plenty of threads here about them..one is Tolsens where he explains how to make them easily greasable while on the car 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing in today's world is made to last, they demand we keep buying new everything to keep their economy strong.....vehicles back in the stone age had grease nipples everywhere for you or your mechanic to be able to keep them lubricated.....not any more.  It is a pet peeve of mine...lol

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Front end parts routinely last 200,000 km without grease fittings. Complete cars from when we were kids didn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I don't know about that.  I drove a 1963 Peugeot I used to own 580,000 km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One good out of two bad and drilling hole through Queen’s head:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Front end parts routinely last 200,000 km without grease fittings. Complete cars from when we were kids didn’t. 

His lasted 1000 kms.....plus i like being in charge of my own destiny so to speak......if you keep bearings lubed they will last....it's just a messy job and none of today's folks are willing to do it....we're too lazy.....but I bet if they did they too would last similar mileages.....I never lost a bearing from normal use if I could get grease into it and keep water out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I decided to take it back to the dealership. I was sorta figuring that they'd want to do the right spindle aswell and say that's why the bearing went. That's what happened last time for the left side. So looks like I'll have new spindles and bearings on both sides and next time, if there is a next time? I don't know what to expect. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 6:06 PM, Willys said:

Welcome from the opposite of the lake...Pefferlaw.

 

IF it went at that sort of mileage i'd be going back and asking them what they did wrong....
They either over tightened them or they were bone dry when they installed them.......and I know they shouldn't need packing like the olden days...lol.   IMHO, they screwed something up.....I'd go back and ask for an answer.....but that's just me. I bet they loved charging you heavy for the work right..?   Maybe I'm mistaken but anything done at a dealership usually means loosing some amount of blood!

Wait for it there will be plenty of folks who will remember the correct torque specs for those bearings....again welcome.

Yes, loosing blood now. I know what the left side cost me so yes right should be the same. My appointment was for Tuesday, yesterday and on Sat night had to have my car towed home because of the actuator. This hasn't been a good month! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No special skills are needed to replace these bearings so why loose so much blood?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tolsen said:

No special skills are needed to replace these bearings so why loose so much blood?

I do know it's relatively easy to replace the bearing. I have done it on other vehicles before, but I think now it's a matter of getting a warranty. It was actually under warranty but because they say the spindle is bad it sorta cancels that out. But now seeing as they are replacing both spindle and bearing together, if it goes again it's on them. Well here's hopin anyway. The actuator had been acting up previously. I think that hot humid weather we had took what life it had left. So with a new one of those, I should be able rock! 😁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd the stub axle is worn, which I'm sure it ain't, then why did they put the bearing on it knowing that it would fail? They're pulling your plonker with that excuse.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet they knocked the bearings on with a hammer causing bearing damage whilst fitting. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always clean up stub axle using an emery cloth. Bearing then slides on and no persuasion is needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tolsen said:

I bet they knocked the bearings on with a hammer causing bearing damage whilst fitting. 

 

Yep, the old Glasgow Socket Set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

    Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More