brd

Intro: the first registered smart roadster in Canada(?)

15 posts in this topic

Well I am a long time member of Club smart car (ten years plus) and would like to introduce the newest member to our family's smart fleet: what is likely Canada's first registered smart roadster.

Note that I am aware of the red roadster that the federal Ministry of Transport imported for testing years ago, but that was auctioned off several years ago with the requirement it be removed from Canada.

This smart roadster coupe was ordered and delivered in Germany in May 2003, and was roughly the 1800th roadster to be turned over to an owner. This roadster coupe was fully loaded with pretty well all available options at the time eg sport-paket (16" rims, paddle shifters etc), leder-paket (leather interior), komfort-paket (cruise controi etc) and a soft top. The original owner paid 26,090euros for this coupe.

This roadster is in absolutely pristine condition - it had all of 17,492km when we took it out for its first and only test drive. Though now 16 years old, the car is in such good condition that it is almost like stepping into a new car when you sit in it. We purchased this roadster the first afternoon that we laid eyes on it.

I would like to thanks Christoph Maushardt and Waldemar Mueller of Autohaus Maushardt, THE top smart dealership in Germany, for introducing us to this incredible roadster and for facilitating its export to Canada. Autohaus Maushardt has an incredible collection of new and used smarts and well worth the visit to buy and look if ever in this western region of Germany. Here is the Autohaus Maushardt website:

https://www.autohaus-maushardt.de/startseite.html

Note that they are less than a two hour drive east of the smart factory in Hambach, France.   

Below is picture of our roadster visiting a friend in Goderich, Ontario the western most point the car has been.

I will load a bunch more pictures once I've had the chance to save them in low resolution due to this site's 2MB file limit. 

edit2 Goderich rear.jpg

9 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Whoops it seems that I can't edit my original posting. Here are the additional low resolution pics I was going to insert.

We flew out to Halifax for the roadster coupe and drove it 1800km back to Toronto. Including the truck journey in Germany, the ocean trip to Halifax and the roadi trip to Toronto, the roadster coupe travelled over 7400km to reach its new home. Thats roughly 40% of the kms the roadster coupe had on its odometer when its journey started.

#1 picture is the roadster coupe loaded onto the truck in front of the smart dealership Autohaus Maushardt as it is about to be transported 600km to the port of exit in northern Germany.

#2 Picture is the roadster coupe parked in front of the Autoport office (bonded warehouse) in East Passage (across the bay from Halifax) waiting to be inspected by us for any damage (there was none). This is after its 5000+km ocean journey from Germany. Note that the roadster coupe apparently had celebrity status in the bonded warehouse and was easily & quickly retrieved from the 15.000 cars waiting in the warehouse.  

#3 Is a lunch break in New Brunswick.

#4 is the roadster coupe visiting in Goderich. This is roughly 200km northwest of Toronto.

#5 is the roadster coupe in its rebuilt & restored garage in Toronto.

I should mention that the colour of this roadster coupe is called "champagne remix", which is a light metallic gold. I didn't really notice it until I gave the roadi a good wash after the Halifax roadi trip, but the grey plastic housing in the front actually has gold flecks in it like the body colour.

1 loaded on truck driver side.jpg

2 IMG_3906 EastPassage drvr side.jpg

3 IMG_3908 NB passg side r.jpg

4 Front plated Goderich edit.jpg

7 IMG_3952 front edit grg.jpg

Edited by brd
2 people like this

Very VERY nice....!!!

Just how difficult was it to get it into Canada? 
How many hoops had to be jumped through to get it here, if any..?
How difficult was it to get it insured?

This is the car my best buddy put his money down on when they first introduced them way way back. He'd be very excited to see one now a days I bet...lol. I think I'll send him your pics if that's OK....just to upset him....lol.

Please invest in some sort of rodent deterant system....not saying your garage or area is as bad as ours but....the thought is enough to make one cry......augh.....lol

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Very VERY nice....!!!

Just how difficult was it to get it into Canada? 
How many hoops had to be jumped through to get it here, if any..?
How difficult was it to get it insured?

This is the car my best buddy put his money down on when they first introduced them way way back. He'd be very excited to see one now a days I bet...lol. I think I'll send him your pics if that's OK....just to upset him....lol.

Please invest in some sort of rodent deterant system....not saying your garage or area is as bad as ours but....the thought is enough to make one cry......augh.....lol

Thanks.

Keep in mind that your car has to be at least fifteen years old TO THE DAY in order to be imported into Canada, otherwise it gets turned away by CBSA and you have to pay to transport it out of Canada. The exception to this is if the car has been built to and certified to meet Canadian standards [there is no such smart roadster] or if you are a Canadian foreign services employee or member of the Canadian Armed Forces returning to Canada with a car you bought overseas. I found out about this when I looked into importing a roadster in 2006 when they were clearing them out at ridiculous prices in Germany.

There are issues getting a roadster TO Canada if left to your own devices. The German end was ably & efficiently looked after for me by Autohaus Maushardt, who have worked with customers located as far away as Korea and Japan. Otherwise that would have taken at least several days of effort spread over several weeks as there is bureaucracy involved in getting export permits as well as arranging transport.

Getting it insured was straightforward but took several weeks as the insurance agent I dealt with did NOT know as much about the process as they were willing to admit. 

I would advise you to get all sales invoices & receipts, German car registration documents and German export documents translated into English for when you go to register the car in your province. And they have to be "certified" translations. You will also need these translated documents for your dealings with CBSA at the port of entry eg Halifax for me. You can hire an import agent in Canada to look after a lot of this but it will cost you big $$$. It all depends upon how much time & money you have. For example, it would have cost over $1k plus HST to have the roadster trucked from Halifax to Toronto. Instead, for a lot less money my wife and I flew to Halifax and had a mini-vacation doing a roaditrip. Halifax is lovely this time of year. 

If you are going to drive the car back yourself to your home province you also have to be mindful of weather and road conditions eg spring flooding in the Atlantic provinces, winter conditions etc etc. 

No problems if you want to pass on a few pictures to your friend.

What suggestions do you have on a rodent deterrent system?

1 person likes this

Congratulations!!!  That's an AWESOME looking roadster with such low mileage!!!

It's sure to attract a lot of attention!

Would love to see it at the Plunkett car show in London on Thurs Aug 8th ..... http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/32103-plunkett’s-country-cruizin-thursday-august-082019/

1 person likes this

I like it a lot.

It'll turn every gear head it passes by for yrs.

12 hours ago, smart142 said:

Congratulations!!!  That's an AWESOME looking roadster with such low mileage!!!

It's sure to attract a lot of attention!

Would love to see it at the Plunkett car show in London on Thurs Aug 8th ..... http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/32103-plunkett’s-country-cruizin-thursday-august-082019/

I expect you may get a few folks interested if they could fit inside one of these vehicles.....lol.....yes hopefully you will go to the Plunket's meet....speaking from a 6'1" frame  225 lbs....lol.....wink wink....

Then the questions about fuel economy etc etc....always will pop up.....Hmmm...

Sorry I do not have a good rodent patrol method that I would use inside such a nice vehicle.  My Willys for some reason doesn't attract rodents thankfully....plus it's kept wraped up inside garage attached to house.  I have heard about the electrical devices which work so some say...?  I just cringe what damage that could happen inside such a rare and well kept car.  All our outdoor vehicles do suffer mice just before the winter weather hits......mouse traps  and poison under spare tire in that well so dogs can't possibly get to it...but you must check traps daily or suffer another issue which may be as bad...lol.   Oh we did use an electric deterant in the feed bin at the horse ranch.....just don't know what it was. It did work basically, we still had some, but, seeing as how many there was around the feed it worked imho.

No problem dealing with assorted body sizes in the roadster - its just like the 450 & 451 and can accommodate big people. The trick though is HOW you get in and out as it sits so low to the ground.

Fuel economy is not a concern. Roadster combined cycle is rated at 5.1 l/100km with highway at 4.3 l/100km. Is there any two seat sports car out there that approaches such fuel economy? To put things into perspective, the 451 is rated at 4.3 l/100km combined [the 451 turbo is 4.9 combined] whereas the 450cdi is rated at 3.3 combined. I guess I am a lead foot but I have never approached the 450 & 451 ratings in real life. A minor issue though is that the 452 & 451 are configured to use 98 super but all we can get here is 94 super so I guess that will have some impact on fuel economy.

And the roadster coupe is a dream to drive. We've only put about 2200km on it but as it is so low to the ground it handles completely differently as compared to a 450 and the 451 eg you aren't steering hard when you hit high winds.

My wife has suggested a device that emits high pitched sound to repel rodents. I will give that a go.

If you want a great book on the smart roadster, I suggest the following hardcover which Christoph Maushardt recommended to me:

https://www.amazon.de/Smart-Roadster-Autobiography-Bernhard-Reichel/dp/3851193598/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+smart+roadster+an+autobiography&qid=1563408116&s=books&sr=1-1

Pricey at 53euros but an excellent read with many great pix. I picked up a lot of good tips from this book.

10 hours ago, Willys said:

I expect you may get a few folks interested if they could fit inside one of these vehicles.....lol.....yes hopefully you will go to the Plunket's meet....speaking from a 6'1" frame  225 lbs....lol.....wink wink....

Then the questions about fuel economy etc etc....always will pop up.....Hmmm...

Sorry I do not have a good rodent patrol method that I would use inside such a nice vehicle.  My Willys for some reason doesn't attract rodents thankfully....plus it's kept wraped up inside garage attached to house.  I have heard about the electrical devices which work so some say...?  I just cringe what damage that could happen inside such a rare and well kept car.  All our outdoor vehicles do suffer mice just before the winter weather hits......mouse traps  and poison under spare tire in that well so dogs can't possibly get to it...but you must check traps daily or suffer another issue which may be as bad...lol.   Oh we did use an electric deterant in the feed bin at the horse ranch.....just don't know what it was. It did work basically, we still had some, but, seeing as how many there was around the feed it worked imho.

18 hours ago, BWM said:

It'll turn every gear head it passes by for yrs.

You're absolutely right. The roadster is a head turner.

On our long roadi trip from Halifax we had lots of cars gawking at us, including assorted porsches, mercedes benz coupes & two seaters as well as bmw's & audis. An issue was we would often get boxed in by cars staring at us. This happens in and around the streets of Toronto too.

Whereabouts are you in the GTA? I'd love to come take a peek at it sometime!