Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

factory fog light switch

10 posts in this topic

So here's an electrical question.  

I ordered a factory fog light switch off e-bay, I am going to replace my dimmer switch with it. I found the 4 wire factory fog light plug in the dash. But... the factory fog lights will not work untill I turn on the head lights.

I want to use the factory switch, wiring and relay for my fog lights. Is there a way to set it up so it will work with the headlights off?

I'm not too good with seeing colors up close but it looks like the 4 wires are purple, brown, brown/white & brown/green.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you want it to work independent of the headlights, then you’ll need your own wiring. You can still use your factor momentary switch. Will have to pick up a 12v flip/flop bistable latching module or rig one up yourself using a 555 timer.

the wiring for the switch is most likely for backlight pwr/ground and the other 2 wires are essentially for the momentary switch

Edited by stickman007

9 hours ago, stickman007 said:

If you want it to work independent of the headlights, then you’ll need your own wiring. You can still use your factor momentary switch. Will have to pick up a 12v flip/flop bistable latching module or rig one up yourself using a 555 timer.

the wiring for the switch is most likely for backlight pwr/ground and the other 2 wires are essentially for the momentary switch

thanks for the info.   i was hoping the factory switch was more like a toggle switch.  (easy to wire)

i am pretty good with mechanical things,  but not so with the wiring and computer stuff.

You should not require the "headlights" to be on, for the standard foglight wiring to work.

You do need to have the light stalk "on", in the "park light" position however.

This has always worked fine on my 5005 CDI

Don't go making an unnecessary mess of a simple thing.

Think of it, if you need fog lights on, then you need rear lights on as well, for safety.

Have you not removed the "automatic headlights ON" feature of our "canadian compliance" before you  started this?

20 minutes ago, Will said:

You should not require the "headlights" to be on, for the standard foglight wiring to work.

You do need to have the light stalk "on", in the "park light" position however.

This has always worked fine on my 5005 CDI

Don't go making an unnecessary mess of a simple thing.

Think of it, if you need fog lights on, then you need rear lights on as well, for safety.

Have you not removed the "automatic headlights ON" feature of our "canadian compliance" before you  started this?

i shut off the daytime running light feature.  i wanted to put bright yellow led lights in the factory fog light location.

i want the car to be more visible from the front and (add a personal touch) in the daytime without having to have the tail lights on.

If you want your car more visible from the front, why would not not also want the car more visible from the rear? Daytime running lights should be all four corners.

I did the same thing sort of, I simply bridged power to the spots LED 3 W at that location and then covered them with a yellow lense, simply a yellow drink glass bottom...lol....it does exactly what you are thinking....imho....I had them simply white and they were far too bright at night but with the yellow lense they are acceptable. I don't get flashed any more...lol.  I simply used he cheap chinese 3W spots just to see what it looks like...but they are lasting fine.

imho, they are more noticable being yellow, simply different to normal headlights.

3 hours ago, darren said:

If you want your car more visible from the front, why would not not also want the car more visible from the rear? Daytime running lights should be all four corners.

In the US, 451s with DRL enabled have the rear lights on as well as the low beam headlights; is this not the case in Canada?  :)

I believe so. 

I disabled led my DRL, did the Euro turn signal mod, and put manually-switched LEDs in the grille on my 450. 

Starting up, I would click on my lights to the first position and turn on the grille lights. It was just automatic for me. 

2 hours ago, jwight said:

In the US, 451s with DRL enabled have the rear lights on as well as the low beam headlights; is this not the case in Canada?  :)

I can't speak for the 451's and 453's, but the 450's have all exterior lights come on as DRL's at full power.  The high beams won't work except for "flash-to-pass" while in DRL mode.  Nor will the interior lights. 

This is something ALL cars should have.  Front and rear lights on as DRLs since MOST people forget to turn the regular running lights on when it gets dark ..... A real hazard when on multi-lane highways.

2 people like this