Sydney

wiper blade mod

13 posts in this topic

i have see a car on kijiji with a  "wipe blade mod".

this mod stops the blades in the upright position   (against the pillars)

has anyone on here done this mod?    and how do you do it?

I coat my windshield in rainX also....so I now have a completely unobstructed flow of water not trapped by the wiper blades......I found the rain was always getting trapped under the wipers and running in a wierd way past your line of sight....I find this way far better, for me that is.

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, Willys said:

I coat my windshield in rainX also....so I now have a completely unobstructed flow of water not trapped by the wiper blades......I found the rain was always getting trapped under the wipers and running in a wierd way past your line of sight....I find this way far better, for me that is.

i put new blades on mine,  they whistle on the highway.    then i stumbled across a picture of this mod.   with the wipers parked in the up position,  my whistle should be gone.

1 person likes this

might be easier on the motor in winter too....if youre like me and too lazy to brush off the snow its probably easier for the system to push the snow down and off the nose instead of up and off the side

just a guess though...i never did the mod

I did that mod on my old smartie...the mod works well if the wipers are good and windshield treated. If not, there’s always water running up the windshield left behind on the downstroke.

2 people like this

On 7/31/2019 at 7:18 PM, stickman007 said:

I did that mod on my old smartie...the mod works well if the wipers are good and windshield treated. If not, there’s always water running up the windshield left behind on the downstroke.

Yes you are correct but the amount is far less than it constantly building up underneath the wiper blades and always flowing up. Like I said use rainX and you hardly need wipers at all.....worth a try and see if it's for you....or not. It's an easy mod to do and reverse.  That is IF you don't like it.

My car is not a fair-weather vehicle, so, regardless of the weather, I use it.  In the past two weeks we have had some pretty severe down-pours.  I only used my wipers once and that was during an extremely heavy rainfall.  No rain-X involved, but I do have some that I apply to the wife's car.  My smart doesn't seem to need it.

I too have done the mod and applied rain X.  It vastly reduces the amount of time the wipers need to be on, and looks funky.

1 person likes this

Perhaps less wind resistance with vertically parked wiper arms?  Improved fuel mileage?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

Perhaps less wind resistance with vertically parked wiper arms?  Improved fuel mileage?

LMFAO...!!!!!!

On 17/08/2019 at 10:05 PM, tolsen said:

Undoubtedly, although I found any difference so slight it was unmeasurable. It'll be tiny.  

It certainly cuts down on wind noise, so I get to listen to all the other Smart noises instead.

1 person likes this