FranRukario

Oil change next 1000Km which one and graduation should I buy?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My smart from 2002 has arrived at 197k km,and at 198 I should change my oil,in my last services I used Castrol 5w40,but I don't know if it's for the oil but I noticed that with a fuel I hardly could pass 320 Km (with 10w-40 I was able to do 350-370 km) could it be related?

I live in Italy where the temperature are super hot in summer (40 degrees) and in winter it's around 15 degrees,which graduation is right?Should I stick with castrol edge or are there cheaper or better oils?

Thanks to everyone and sorry for my bad english

Use Mobil 1 0W40.  The 40W is the hot rating and should be fine even in southern Italy.  I don't think the Castrol would explain the change in fuel consumption.  Your English is good!

3 hours ago, MikeT said:

Use Mobil 1 0W40.  The 40W is the hot rating and should be fine even in southern Italy.  I don't think the Castrol would explain the change in fuel consumption.  Your English is good!

Isn't 0W40 too thin? 

Counting that pur winter aren't too cold

I use the cheapest synthetic oil I can source.  Usually supermarket oils for £10 for five litres. Mostly 5w-40 but also the cheaper 15w-40 sometimes. A bonus if the oil I use meets MB’s spec but that is rarely. I also reuse oil from other cars mainly from petrol cars. 

Forgot to add mine has done more than 250,000 km mainly problem free except when it was being serviced by Smart. 

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

I use the cheapest synthetic oil I can source.  Usually supermarket oils for £10 for five litres. Mostly 5w-40 but also the cheaper 15w-40 sometimes. A bonus if the oil I use meets MB’s spec but that is rarely. I also reuse oil from other cars mainly from petrol cars. 

I dunno, i'm kinda afraid to use that oil

id recommend 0w40 full synthetic for diesel all year

but if you do seasonal oil changes for summer id say 5w40 or 10w40 is fine (but must be diesel specific)

The 0W40 is only 0W at zero degrees C.  It's 40W at 100 degrees C and that's where the oil temperature is much closer to when the engine is warm.  Mobil 1 0W40 is MB approved for this engine.