Sydney

leaking IC

10 posts in this topic

I have a pretty substantial leak in my IC under the mounting tab.   Is the a common spot for the to fail? 

I cleaned it really well and was washing it out and water was pouring out from under the bracket. You can see the shinny spot where it is worn thru.

The rest of it seems to be in half decent shape.   

IMG_20190804_185325.jpg

I can’t see the slotted hole in your photo but leaking intercooler is very common.

Smart redesigned the support cradle around 2006 by removing about 5 mm from lower transverse support member of cradle. A rather poor fix but it works. They did not beef up the sides to compensate something I did to my support cradle. 

The leak can be fixed by injecting a suitable sealant into the holes. 

2 hours ago, Sydney said:

I have a pretty substantial leak in my IC under the mounting tab.   Is the a common spot for the to fail? 

I cleaned it really well and was washing it out and water was pouring out from under the bracket. You can see the shinny spot where it is worn thru.

The rest of it seems to be in half decent shape.   

IMG_20190804_185325.jpg

I will zoom in on the leak.

IMG_20190804_185325_edit.jpg

That may be possible to patch.

I'm going to cut off the bracket to expose the leak then try some JB weld. I can't tell if it's leaking anywhere else till I get this leak sealed.

I'm sure 3 tabs instead of 4 will still be ok.  

I haven't seen that one before....the common injury is up where the tubes join the header

i dont remember those tabs but if you say 3 out of 4 is good enough i wouldnt remove the bracket...id leave it there and clean the inside then make a piece to fit inside tight and coat it with amber gorilla glue before wedging it in to seal it up..the bracket will give a strong clamping on the repair

You must have picked up a rock or stone and had it trapped in the hole, then it wore through.....that will be a tricky repair as I don't see how you will be able to get it clean enough for JBWeld to adhere under the side panel. I would use carb cleaner etc and flush it very well to see if you can see all edges of rubbed through hole or area....IF you can't get to the edge of the hole I would maybe depending on your die grinding skills, cut the hole in the side panel until you can get 1/8" past edge of hole as to give the epoxy enough landscape to adhere to a freshly cleaned and roughed up area...imho.

OR....
IF you can remove entire side rail /panel and do the repair and then expoxy the entire thing back on using JBWeld after you have sealed that hole well.  The JBWeld will adhere well enough imho to get this done. I just don't know if you can remove that panel without destroying the IC...but what do you have to loose if you can't get a reliable repair done...?   I would risk it personally!  I also see a rub spot on the normal spot 1/4" up from the tank on the same tube...not sure if it is rubber through, but it looks like there is a rub there in the pic...?

Hope this helps.....IF you are in dire need of a repaired unit, I think I have one here.

i think i will try to remove the side panel first.

I think someone poked that hole with a flat bladed screw driver. 

When repairing it is advisable to apply vacuum to intercooler thereby sucking sealant through hole for a good permanent repair. 

1 person likes this