GreenBombLittleChickie

Just bought a used 2005 smart car fortwo. Hasn't run for almost a year. Any suggestions?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just bought a used 2005 smart car fortwo. It hasn't run in almost a year. After doing some minor maintenance to it(replaced the battery, and replaced the alternator), it is running! 

My concern now is it revs high. 4500 rpm before shifting(on automatic setting). I'm new to the smart car feel and I'm not sure how normal it is. It also seems to shift with some difficulty. 

 

My assumption after replacing the alternator and battery, new oil, and transmission fluid is likely a good idea. Any other comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

 

Sincerely,

Little Chickie

Edited by GreenBombLittleChickie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, welcome to the nuthouse....lol....yep we all own a Smart Car...lol
There are many many people here who'll bend over backwards to try and help with any issue you may have.   Plenty of knowledgeable people who know all there is to know...smart wise that is.

As for the high rev'ing I agree, so I use the standard setting or mode as I like to be in control of the shifting RPMs. It is far smoother and more economical I find......and IF you forget the car will shift for you. So no fear of damages  so to speak.

 

Great to see more new folks in the Toronto area.....most are closer to the London area and that is where the best Smart car mechanic resides  Search out Glenn....great guy.

Smart142  Hope I got it correct this time...lol

 

There are plenty of things to check and possibly adjust to get the most from your car especially if has been sitting for a while. 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4500 is not normal unless you have your foot on the floor.  As Willys said most of us make the up shifts manually and the transmission will downshift on it’s own as you slow down.  Sometimes you will need to downshift yourself to get it the power band  but that will come with seat time.  I like first to second around 2500 and the rest around 3000 but I look and drive like grandpa.  

 

I am near 400/Lloydtown-Aurora rd if you want to drive mine and compare sometime.  

 

Also Glenn smart142 is the guy who does most of my service, it is worth the drive to London once or twice a year.

 

Nigel

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mine shifted high....but it didnt have auto option..it only happened when i had a coffee in my hand and needed to speed away fast without hitting the shifter

 

the base models will protect themselves 

 

this might be a dumb question but does yours have the odd shaped shifter knob with a side button?...or is it round like billiards ball

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned (above), 4500 PM is way too high unless you have your foot buried into the throttle.

 

In the auto shift mode, it shouldn't be higher than 3500 under normal driving conditions.  If you have a remap (Smart142 can do this for you while you wait), the shifts under normal driving conditions should be around 3000.  Getting used to driving in the standard mode will give you more control over how the whole car performs. 

 

Both of mine have the remap and both shift between 2500 and 3000 depending on how far down I have pressed the "go" pedal.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2005 Passion I think is a base model.

Does not have the button on the shifter to run the auto shift function.

If I run it up without using the shifter it will still up shift about 4100-4500 RPM.

I've run it up till 4th gear but only to see what it would due

4000 RPM to much is not good for diesel engines IMO.

Which makes me wonder if your auto shift button is actually working.

Someone before you may have thought they could just swap the knob and plug in the button to get the auto shift.

From what I've read that function would still need to be programmed in to function correctly.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

mine shifted high....but it didnt have auto option..it only happened when i had a coffee in my hand and needed to speed away fast without hitting the shifter

 

the base models will protect themselves 

 

this might be a dumb question but does yours have the odd shaped shifter knob with a side button?...or is it round like billiards ball

It has a button

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BWM said:

My 2005 Passion I think is a base model.

Does not have the button on the shifter to run the auto shift function.

If I run it up without using the shifter it will still up shift about 4100-4500 RPM.

I've run it up till 4th gear but only to see what it would due

4000 RPM to much is not good for diesel engines IMO.

Which makes me wonder if your auto shift button is actually working.

Someone before you may have thought they could just swap the knob and plug in the button to get the auto shift.

From what I've read that function would still need to be programmed in to function correctly.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look into this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2019 at 8:21 PM, Willys said:

Hi, welcome to the nuthouse....lol....yep we all own a Smart Car...lol
There are many many people here who'll bend over backwards to try and help with any issue you may have.   Plenty of knowledgeable people who know all there is to know...smart wise that is.

As for the high rev'ing I agree, so I use the standard setting or mode as I like to be in control of the shifting RPMs. It is far smoother and more economical I find......and IF you forget the car will shift for you. So no fear of damages  so to speak.

 

Great to see more new folks in the Toronto area.....most are closer to the London area and that is where the best Smart car mechanic resides  Search out Glenn....great guy.

Smart142  Hope I got it correct this time...lol

 

There are plenty of things to check and possibly adjust to get the most from your car especially if has been sitting for a while. 

 

 

Thanks for the advice! I will try this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreenBombLittleChickie said:

It has a button

on the display it should tell you which gear you are in. if you hit the button on the shift knob the number should change to an "A".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2019 at 6:57 AM, BWM said:

My 2005 Passion I think is a base model.

Does not have the button on the shifter to run the auto shift function.

If I run it up without using the shifter it will still up shift about 4100-4500 RPM.

I've run it up till 4th gear but only to see what it would due

4000 RPM to much is not good for diesel engines IMO.

Which makes me wonder if your auto shift button is actually working.

Someone before you may have thought they could just swap the knob and plug in the button to get the auto shift.

From what I've read that function would still need to be programmed in to function correctly.

Over the the passion was the top spec, with Prime being the sportier version with bigger wheels but no more power, and Pure being the base model with less power and the black Tridion.  Just to confuse things you could pay extra for a silver Tridion as an option.  The passion had the auto over here. Weird how Smart messed about with the trims and kit for different markets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

    Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More