Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Timohtay

Mind boggling!but I love my car.

8 posts in this topic

Ok,so, I'm back hahaha. Got my car back from having work done a couple thou kms ago. The cars been great,best it's ever been till last Monday decided to go for a drive. Now i did drive the car home from work in a brutal rain storm on the Sunday night and parked it. But on our drive got about 45 kms away and my esp and abs lights came on. Got to our destination shut the car off,did our business and then proceeded home. The lights were out but came back on. Got home parked it. Went out Monday started the car,no lights,drove all week around town,no lights. Driving to work Saturday got almost all the way there and the lights came on and the same with comming home after. Now Sunday, I decided to put the car in automatic and the lights never came on. It's mind boggling and also,what would cause headlights and dash to sorta flicker at times? Alternator and belts were both done 2 month's ago? I love my car

1 person likes this

flicker is usually a bad diode in the alternator

you should get a reader for reading abs codes

1 person likes this

Cool,thanks, I do have a reader so the next time it comes on I'll give it a whirl and see. Was driving around town today in manuel and no lights came on,so that's a bonus.

The reluctor rings need to be checked. That's what usually causes an intermittent ABS light.

2 people like this

dont usually need active code for abs...it will store history codes in the abs module 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If memory serves, if your reluctor rings are bad, ABS and ESP will function normally until you exceed 60 km/h. Once you exceed 60 km/h, the system does a secondary check, and if it’s getting bad readings, it will throw error codes, ABS and ESP will be shut off, and the warning lights will come on. The system resets when the car is shut off and restarted. 

When my rings started to go,  it was winter. Everything was fine until I pulled off the highway and onto a snowy side street. I came to a stop sign, and as I pulled away from the stop, the car did two 360° spins through the intersection. 

I got in in the habit of shutting the car off and restarting it at my first stop after getting off the highway, until I got the rings replaced by Glenn. 

Edited by darren
1 person likes this

steering angle sensor will do it too

when my strut got bent i noticed the abs and esp would shut off ...it seemed like it was always the same distance from home on the same curve that it would kick out

but if your steering wheel is still nice and straight id have to say the advce above about checking reluctor rings is a good place to start if you cant pull codes