Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

Random oddball cars you've seen

199 posts in this topic

Good point. I think this particular topic is just for oddball vehicles that we've actually spotted. Of course if you saw one but didn't have your camera, you might choose to post a 'found' photo of same.

Someone in town -- looked like a friendly, aging hippy -- drives an early-90s Subaru Dias (Sambar) microvan. It looks like a typical kei microvan built on a Justy chassis, and the decals on the side proclaim "4WD CVT" just like the old Justy did.

Sean and I saw a Volvo C 304 on Saturday in Nanaimo. It was registered in WA USA and the owners gave me a nice tour. Powered by a 3 litre inline six from the Volvo 164 (minus the Bosch injection), it was REALLY cool. Looks a bit like a Pinzi.Then 20 minutes later we saw it pulled over by the cops. Not for speeding, top end is about 80 km/h. Welcome to BC.This is not the actual vehicle (I didn't have a camera on me) but it looks the same as this one.

post-5-1237246600_thumb.jpg

I drive a 1989 Honda Acty pickup, all wheel drive, 3 cyl, 45 HP. (www.minitrucktalk.com)In summer, I also drive an Electric motorcycle based on the 78 Honda HawkII that I built.Last year I rebuilt a 82 Iltis (Canadian army jeep).I love fixing up and modifying vehicles, including a 72 VW van with a Porsche 911 turbo, Porsche 924 on a Chev Blazer 4X4 frame, 78 Alpha Alfetta ice racer and now working on a 1800 hp Alcohol injected blowen 4X4 mud dragster (Danish Dragon on CMRO.net).Working on the Smart is a breeze in comparison! Just for more information, North American Diesel Performance can get a chipset (Akins i think) and larger injectors for the 450 Smart! (http://www.nadp.ca)Gotta love these little cars....... Long live the underdog! :D

post-6868-1237256157_thumb.jpg

post-6868-1237256256_thumb.jpg

post-6868-1237256326_thumb.jpg

Went to the body shop today -- it's a Mercedes-affiliated shop, and is as high-end as they come -- to settle the final account for my smart with the last cheque from the insurance. Sitting there in the reception area is a stunning, concours-restored BMW Isetta 300 Export cabriolet. It belongs to one of their better-heeled customers and they had just finished the full restoration. It is flawless. Of course, I had no camera or cell phone handy, but it looks almost identical to the one at the Microcar Museum.

Saw this fellow merrily chugging down the highway at less than super-sonic speeds. Kit car maybe?

post-7529-1318927739_thumb.jpg

Went into my garage the other day and 2 Citroens, a DS21 & an SM, my past father's toys. Possibly the love for French cars started there. But I'll stick to my 2 Smarts. Anyone want a Citroen or a few truck loads of parts? Sure would like to find a needy go home for them rather than sending it to the scrap. Maybe the spare Maserati V6 engine sitting there would transplant into a Smart?

The SM has no rust, it was his sunny, Sunday car. It has had some mods so it's not 'collector original'. Stainless exhaust, hydraulic lines to name a few. It has not been driven for a couple of years and needs a battery (on the SM you have to remove the front tire & inner fender for access) (sound like the easy battery access like in a Smart) Would love to find a genuine, caring lover of such strange cars. Spare engine & other stuff too.

So what kind of price are we talking about here? You did threaten to scrap them.....Has the SM engine had the cam drive upgrade?

Back on topic. :)Saw this beautiful example of a RHD 1962 Morris Minor (unrestored), taking advantage of the cool but sunny weather today.

post-7529-1319398632_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1319398657_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention, a couple of weeks ago in Vancouver, within ten minutes, I saw a well restored ~1970 Fiat 124 Coupé in traffic, a ~1995 Renault Twingo on BC plates and a Mercedes-Benz Unimog with camper body.

Yeah the Mog was BC-registered, these sightings were all in White Rock.

post-375-1319589191_thumb.jpgJust got back from Cuba - more odd balls coming once I sort through the picutres - here is one to hold you over.Cheers,Cameron

Polski-Fiat 126. The successor to the 500. The next generation Cinquecento should look like this ;)

Spotted near Dorchester today. A nice example of a mid-60's Morris 1000 Woody (from New Zealand I gathered from one of the window stickers)

post-7529-1320959901_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1320959919_thumb.jpg

post-375-1319589191_thumb.jpgJust got back from Cuba - more odd balls coming once I sort through the picutres - here is one to hold you over.Cheers,Cameron

Sweet! My mom had one in the 80's. We called it Grasshopper :-) Gutless but fun to be in.