Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

Random oddball cars you've seen

199 posts in this topic

now that you mention it...last week I saw a toyota sedan ....not sure what it was...it was pretty blinged out. but I noticed the young guy driving it was sitting on the right side too!

S

Importing RHD cars from Japan seems to be all the rage these days - I have seen micro-vans, micro-pickups, coupes, convertibles - pretty cool!

On the trip to Vancouver the beginning of the month one of the tiny Suzuki RHD trucks was behind me on Broadway - sort of a mini micro parade :biglaugh:

Cheers,

Cameron

I've spotted a vehicle in Victoria a couple times that I can't identify. It looks like an enlarged Citroen 2CV but the rear is vertical. It is LHD with a sun roof. It looks like a rounded mini-van that's a blend of French and Japanese styling. Normally I know every vehicle on the road at a glance, but that one has me baffled. Any ideas?

I've spotted a vehicle in Victoria a couple times that I can't identify. It looks like an enlarged Citroen 2CV but the rear is vertical. It is LHD with a sun roof. It looks like a rounded mini-van that's a blend of French and Japanese styling. Normally I know every vehicle on the road at a glance, but that one has me baffled. Any ideas?

Sounds a bit like an Aztec

MG

This it? S-Cargo

I just retruned from a vacation to New Zealand and Australia. What wasn't a random oddball?!?!?

Peugeot -lots

Citroen -various

Renault -various

Fiat -a few

Alfa Romeo -some, including a diesel?

Ssyang Yong (sp?) SportUte

Nissan March

Nissan Figaro

Nissan S-Cargo

etc.

and a grand total of 2 smarts zooming by (so no VINs Mike ;) )

Meston Motors here in Victoria used to have a Citroen van years ago - maybe someone has restored it?

Cheers,

Cameron

Our Mazda dealer has a very old....Mazda...in teh show room. Cannot remember what it is...I will take a pic next time.

Spring must be here because I saw the Prowler in town today!

S

smarter!!! You've got the right user name, Bud.

I didn't think anyone would get it based on such vague information. It was an S-Cargo. and the humour of it's name didn't strike me until I typed it just now. It's a real eye-catcher in traffic...even more-so than the smart.

Thanks everyone for your efforts.

I recently spotted this vintage Audi (DKW actually) on the back lot of an Audi dealership in Calgary. Presumably they're going to restore the old girl. It's a DKW 3=6 Universal. I read a little bit about it...you might find it interesting.

First of all, the four Audi rings represent the four companies that merged in 1932: Audi, DKW, Horch, and Wanderer.

The 1957 DKW that you see here is a cylindricly-challenged 3 cylinder with 40 HP (sound familiar?). However, it's a front-wheel-drive and has an 896 cc 2 stroke engine. Being a 2 stroke, it has a power stroke every two strokes, rather than every four, so it has the same number of power strokes as a 6 cylinder engine...hence the model designation 3=6.

You can read a bit more about it here. (move your curser over each model name to see and read about each)

post-56-1145900689.jpg

post-1-1145900689.jpg

Hey - that looks like the one my Dad had - except a coupe and in much better shape (burgandy paint). I will have to show him.

They also had no water pump - used convection - seem to recall they had steering column lock (yes way back then) and were a bit noisy.

Cheers,

Cameron

5:50pm EST, Toronto: Saw a ruby red-like Scion xB going East on Millwood, between Bayview and Mount Pleasant.

It's a nice time to explore neighbourhoods in Toronto, if you don't have allergies. Trees are flowering and scenting the air for the drive home.

Gotta love those xB's... I'm surprised Fedex or UPS hasn't bought a fleet of them, ripped out the back seat, and used them for deliveries.

The courier companies are buying fleets of Dodge (Mercedes-Benz) Sprinter vans for their fleets.

I thought i'd posted this before here, but apparently not.

I was out for lunch a few weeks ago, and saw a car that i had never seen before in my life!

This bizarre little hatchback coupe passed me at King & Tecumseth. I strained my neck to see what it was, but couldn't make out anything other than "SERA" on its back panel. Never heard of it. Much to my delight, the driver then executed a 3-point turn on Tecumseth and came back my way. That's when i saw that it was right-hand drive, had door window glass that wrapped into the roof, and a familiar ovoid logo on the front.

He pulled around the corner, stopped and got out, so i was able to ask him a few questions about it.

Here it is:

http://japanoid.com/cardata.php?carNo=29

Japanese market only, made from 1990 to 1994, only about 5 have been imported into Canada so far.

Incredibly cool!

Holy crap. Those doors/windows are something else! Good find!-Iain

I saw this ex-army Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer in North Vancouver on the 27th of May. I was driving, that's why the photo isn't the best.

I guy I knew in North Vancouver had one back in the 1970s - it was red, and the two cylinder Fiat-based engine had been dumped in favour of a 58 HP Renault 8 S engine. It could churn turf into mud, real good like ;).

post-5-1149047240.jpg

Austin Mini Clubman. It's a RHD, and there appear to be a pair of low-slung exhaust pipes on either side just before the rear wheels.

No photos, but yesterday I saw a Swiss (Zürich) registered VW T2 Camper bus on the way into Nanaimo. They had a really close look at the smart as I passed them...

Then today we saw a short wheelbase Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van registered in Pforzheim Germany, making its way south towards Duncan, having a good gander at our Peugeot 405 and its French dealer sticker (Champion Peugeot in Beaune) that is on the rear window.

A month or so ago we saw another Sprinter registered in Digne, France. Those are the most memorable ones from this year.

Every year I see about ten to fifteen European-registered camper vans plying the Island Highway.....

I saw a BMW 850i yesterday - was surprised, never seen one in person in my life. Pretty rare, especially here.

I saw a Right Hand Drive Bentley Turbo RT today

cellphone pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alas it is not... bear in mind, while I am on the Atlantic coast of North America, in the tourist trap hellhole capital of North American, british plates and right hand drive cars are very rare. I thought that this would actually be more common in Canada, since you guys have slightly more lax importation laws