Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

Random oddball cars you've seen

199 posts in this topic

Well the week is definately off to a strange and wonderful car spotting time -Sunday - the world's largest human powered bike in DuncanMonday - a T-RexTuesday - an IT carCheers,Cameron

post-375-1181096895.jpg

post-1-1181096895.jpg

post-1-1181096896.jpg

post-1-1181096897.jpg

post-1-1181096898.jpg

Around a big suburb in a big city you get to see a lot of what you all call oddball cars all the time, so they're not all that odd here. What we don't yet have out east is the Kei invasion. The rage nowadays seems to be RHD ricers. A kid down the block, who must be a dope dealer because he changes cars every few months and most of them are worth more than all three of my cars combined, is currently ahead of that curve locally. He's in a riced RHD 93 or 94 300ZX Turbo now. His 20s alone are probably worth as much as my fortwo.In this general area, there are perhaps a few dozen current Ferrari, Lambos and Masers, hundreds (if not thousands) of plebeian Porsches, Benzes and Bimmers, about a half-dozen McLaren SLRs, two F1s (one of them is an LM), six Carrera GTs, a handful of Elises and two Exiges, a GT40, and many, many more desirable vintage exotics and muscle cars. But none of them I'd call oddball. :D OTOH, there was a garage a couple of miles away that started importing Fiat 500s a few years ago, cleaning them up, and turning a huge profit. He had a long wait list, and was bringing over as many as five a month. I don't think he did this for more than a year, though. At first I saw many of them puttering around the city, but lately I see one once every so often.

Moaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :( :( :( :( :(

I have a new sporadic ADD-based obsession that I'm sure will pass in about 5 hours. I want a Kei van more than anything. Someone in Guelph has one, and it is TEH AWESOME.

I think it is either a Daihatsu Hijet or Suzuki Super-Carry - you know, it's one of the square ultra-tall ultra-narrow ultra-tiny vans. I tried to get close enough to see the manufacturer sticker on it but then a transport truck got in the way the last time I saw him. I think he mows lawns with it because it always has a push lawn mower in the back. It is the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life and I love it so much!!

Posted Image

Me with a Kei Van in Washington DC last year

-Iain

Mwaaaa okokokok I'm sure this is it! This is what the dude has! Subaru "Sambar" - look at that glass roof, and massive windows!!

Ugh and this one sold on Japanoid for only $8500 :(

-Iain

post-201-1181310120.jpg

post-1-1181310120.jpg

duck...really? looks like a cable car fell off its lines, kind of square and, well, plain. now the smart with the dual wheels at the rear in the above pix...that was freakin' sweet !!!!! transformers starts soon, that smart above could be a decepticon !! u know u waaaaaannnttt it.

Sambar: Supercharged four wheel drive. Cool.Carl

duck...really? looks like a cable car fell off its lines, kind of square and, well, plain.

You forget I am a massive ropeway technology nut. :) And, I like crazy squarish-mid-80's-Japanese-vehicles (I drove 2!).

Posted Image

:lol:

@ Yukoner - Yeah, all these crazy Japanese Kei-Cars have turbocharged/supercharged small-displacement engines (just like some other car company we all know and love!). Many of them are 4WD, too!

-Iain

You've got to ride the cableway to the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix, France. It is mind blowing. The view, once up there on the Piton Central is even more mind blowing.

Full marks to whomever can identify this car, without using google to find out the info. Hint: it has a Toyota drivetrain...

post-5-1182018163.jpg

post-1-1182018163.jpg

Close. It's based on a Toyota Yaris, built locally and sold for only 18 months, before the car proved so unsaleable that it was withdrawn! (Toyota owns Daihatsu IIRC)

Can't imagine why it didn't sell. I guess passengers in the rear seats couldn't hear with their knees covering their ears. If you squint your eyes and imagine the tailights as headlights, it looks a lot like an old VW Beetle. The designers were just sixty years too late!

Kind of reminds me of the Ford Anglias that had the same window treatment in the back - it is actually pretty effective in keeping the sun out of the back window - we had a Mercury Breezeway with the reversed window (it rolled down).Cheers,Cameron

WTF? A MINI Cooper cabrio towing an electric vehicle of similar size on a trailer. Toronto, Leaside area.

:tremble: that's not even close to being safeI'd stay a good mile behind that

This?

Posted Image

:lol:

-Iain

is that cookie dough, or do my eyes deceive me? :D

This one has a high speed option - blend the tires with the pavement? No problem!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_Tiger

Cheers,

Cameron

Fittingly - this is the car Maxwell Smart used to drive in the opening sequence - might have been an Alpine - same body different engine.

This one has a high speed option - blend the tires with the pavement? No problem!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_Tiger

Cheers,

Cameron

Fittingly - this is the car Maxwell Smart used to drive in the opening sequence - might have been an Alpine - same body different engine.

A guy at Uni had one of those - a V8 engine in a car that probably weighed not much more than our smarts. YIKES! That was a really fast car!

B:sun:

Just don't try to change a clutch in one - my Dad did once - you almost have to disassemble the whole car.Cheers,Cameron

Maxwell Smart did indeed drive a Red Sunbeam Tiger. In the very first episode however, he drove a Karmen Gia.