robynsweet

3 bars of death

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 2006 Smart CDI it has 145000 km . When I  was driving it I noticed 3 bars of death and then a tow home luckily the car fits in my utility trailer . So I’ve figured out that the fuse number 15 was blown which is for the charge air cooler / air conditioning , I don’t have air conditioning . Upon replacing the fuse the bars of death are gone and I can drive again until the fuse blows shortly after replacing it . Any suggestions on where to start .  

You have an intercooler fan. Perhaps it is seized causing too high current?

Try spinning fan by hand. 

Could also be critters having built a nest inside fan. 

Check for chewed or chafed wires near the intercooler fan (below the car)

Drop sub frame and rebuild everything connected to it for future problem free enjoyment....lol....funny but ....it's what I decided to do to my better car.     Seriously though.....check all grounding points even if they look great undo hem all and clean them. They are a known problem point. A dab of dielectric grease will save you plenty down the road. IF you have to remove inter cooler fan etc, take the time to completely check out the inter cooler it'self for the rubbed through issue on the bottom forward facing area of fins etc, then trim fan shroud to stop it happening again. IF it has the worn through problem, it can be fixed using JBWeld after a thorough cleaning etc, inside and out.   Then check EGR valve for being plugged up with carbon and sludge. It must be clean of all that and moving properly. IF you have an EGR code issue the choice is now replace EGR or buy emulator off of a member here, they work flawlessly ask me how i know...

A lot more than you asked for and I hope it helps.