Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shaheer

2008 Smart Fortwo Convertible

16 posts in this topic

Hi there Smart Car Fam!

I am relatively new to the Smart Car world and brand new to this fourm (wish I knew about this forum before) but I am not very car savvy (only good at IT stuff loll) my wife loved the way the Fortwo looked and convinced me to get one so we bought an amazing Smart Car a couple months ago (in impeccable condition).  I had no issues since the car only has like 70K on it.  The convertible motor works perfect, AC works amazing, the car with paddle shifters, alloy rims, the tires were brand new, ad the owner had also put in a brand new oil pan since the original one was cracked during an oil change by Canadian Tire lol.  so we had been very happy with the car.  At any rate, we finally had our first problem last month where the Car would not go to R or D.  Apparently this is common problem, and my mechanic told me I needed to get a clutch actuator (errors codes were P0905 and P0805).  So I didn't think twicen and bought a brand new actuator from Merc Benz Maple (cost me more than $800), then my mechanic installed it and said my problem wont be resolved until i go back to Merc Benz Maple to get it re-programmed.  Again I didnt think twice and did exactly what he told me.  Once at the dealership, they told me that it's not the actuator ( so I bought the actuator for no reason for $800) nor does it need programming, but rather there is an issue with the Transmission, so the best bet is to get the tranny swapped out and all will be ok.  As I mentioned I am an IT guy, not car savvy at all, so I really don't know what to do next.   Dealership wants way too much to swap the tranny.  I don't want to send the car to the yard as EVERYTHING works perfect, only the tranny is giving issues.   Is there someone here who knows more about Smart Cars and can suggest something? Also, if I want to sell the car for parts, what's the best way to go abouts?  Are there shops or folks on this forum who take project cars?  Any help is appreciated fam!

AC Unit works perfect
Everything works inside
Everything works outside
Engine only has 70K
Brand New Clutch Actuator (the one installed)
Clutch Actuator (the one the mechanic told me to remove, which was not defective)
Oil Pan (less than 1 year old)
4 alloy rims with less than 5 months used tires
Convertible motor works perfect 

1 person likes this

Welcome to the club.  Too bad you did not find us a little sooner.  Will the car drive at all?

There were software updates to alleviate issues in the 2008 and 2009 that had issues shifting into D and R.  If a dealership checks your VIN they should be able to tell you if the software was ever updated.  That would be the first thing to check.

P0905 Transmission gate select position circuit range/performance

P0805 Clutch position sensor -circuit malfunction

The shifter motors for the transmission may fail but very unlikely there is any issue with the transmission itself.  If the shifter motors / transmission was the issue, if it would go into D, there would be issues changing from one gear to the next.

If a new clutch actuator has been installed, it should be electronically setup with a STAR machine or equivalent.  If the Maple dealership does not know this I would not return there for any type of service.

Edited by Huronlad

Greetings and welcome.  Sounds like you have the 451 model (2007-2014ish), of which I know very little, but the boys on here know their stuff and will help out.

It never ceases to amaze me that a country that has so few Smarts compared to her in the UK has such an active and helpful owners forum, hence me lurking about myself.

@Huronlad thanks for quick reply.  So dealer (took it to Merc Benz Thornhill for service as Maple was fully booked) they said it's not a programming issue, neither it is a cabling issue or an issue with the shifter motor.  Their conclusion (after more than 1 week of keeping the car was) either i pay more for further diagnosing the tranny it or just change the tranny and it will work again.  Car turns on just fine, AC and stuff working perfect, but the car cant move due to tranny.  Anything else I can try?

@Chopper
tell me bout it...UK has so much support.  I checked out Evilution and it iss amazing

1 person likes this

Will the car shift out of park and go into D or R at all?  How many km did you put on the car before the failure?  The dealer confirmed your car has all the available TCU software updates?

Yes it will shift, but the car just won't engage.  for example if I change the gear to R, on the dash it will not show any letters and soon it will start beeping.  Yeapp the dealer said that they tried the programming but it did not make a difference.  Once the programming didn't make a difference, they went ahead and started the other diagnostic.

Funny enough, when the car is in the ON position, and then I put the car in R, the R shows up on the dash and also the reverse lights comes on.  

We got it last October only with 60K on it, but this is the hobby car, so we didn't even drive it all the time and since then we have put it less than 12K on the car till last month when this problem started.  And now it's just sitting on my driveway. :(

battery was checked by the mechanic and is perfectly fine

nope it did not sit, my wife drove it just on the morning, and then in the afternoon she said the car is not going on R.  so she just drove with D to take it our of the parking lot and bring it back home.  Once she came home the R was not working, but the D then stopped working and would only work intermittently.  Then the next few days the D would work intermittently but the R would not work, and then slowly after that D fully stopped working. Then we took it to the mechanic and he said he got the error codes and suggested I need to change the actuator and made me waste money on it for no reason (needless to say, not going back to that mechanic ever again) 

I can not find anything smart specific for the P0905 fault online.

Since the car will start the actuator is working and engaging the clutch.  If both transmission shift motors are faulty it would not be able to select any gears.  The shift motors new may be over $1k plus labour.  It might be possible to clean them and restore functionality, see link below.

How much did MB want to change the transmission?

transmission shifter motors

P0905 is crankshaft position/angle sensor.  Not sure that sheds any light on your problem though.

i've given up on this car.  can't get the transmission changed myself, my mechanic can't do it either.  don;t want take it to benz as they want too much, so i think i have no option but to sell it for parts.

Again have you spoken to Glenn Smart142 here? He has a shop in london .....maybe he would look at it for you...?  I'll bet if it's possible he can solve your issue cheaper than any dealer can.