Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tolsen

Going fishing and exploring

94 posts in this topic

To Moidart the land of the Vikings. 

First leg leg by Smart then by boat. 

ABF52D05-9741-44E3-9004-FB3D2D29CFA9.jpeg

Will live off the land but intend to bring a few tins of beans as emergency food. 

Boat is powered by a 12 hp 2 stroke outboard made in Sweden in 1967 but boat can also be outfitted with a sail rig. 

Made spray dodger a few days ago. Sewed on my Singer heavy duty machine without any mishaps. 

Will of course bring a few bottles of locally made whisky to keep my spirit up. 

3 people like this

Interesting set up.....Hmmmm.....trailer wheels...?  Dirty little buggers....lol

Nice to see a 450 CDi alive and well in the UK.

I'm from Shetland, which is definitely the land of the Vikings (Google Up Helly Aa), but ethnically I'm a Celt from the other end of the British Isles.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Chopper

Not ship wrecked yet. 

My camp for tonight:

93908134-A37F-47A2-9F20-5F9DBE86A964.jpeg

In the background Sgurr of Egg, Paps of Rum, Cuillin of Skye and Bla Bheinn of Skye.  Canada is out of view much further behind those islands in the background of photo.

Note DIY storm lines rigged to hold tent in place. Was rather windy earlier  today with white horses and wave height almost a metre. Lucky I have good sea legs. 

My boat securely parked on a white corral beach:

5457038D-561C-4C31-83A6-0297845A6035.jpeg

Outboard is 52 years old but not as old as me. 

2 people like this

Excellent, reminds me of my motorcycling camping trips...no boat of course...lol.   Same scenery and equipment...love it! Same remote locations with a spectacular view!  Enjoy!

Bought my tent for £15 many years ago. First night I erected tent in pitch darkness and succeeded. 

I have camped in this tent all seasons. Use a Coleman petrol lamp to provide heating. Cook on a Korean Lion Primus stove. Much better than the original. 

Have modified the Coleman lamp and fitted a diy stainless steel wire mesh globe glass. Intend to do same with my Tilley lamps. 

I was living off the land for three days but got eventually fed up eating Scottish MacKerel so today I consumed a tin of baked beans. 

Weather was great at the start but turned really lousy and wet yesterday.  Will be heading home once my whisky runs out. 

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, tolsen said:

I was living off the land for three days but got eventually fed up eating Scottish MacKerel so today I consumed a tin of baked beans. 

Yep, wild baked beans can still be found in some parts of the Highlands ;)

Edited by Chopper

57 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yep, wild baked beans can still be found in some parts of the Highlands ;)

Yep the Hienz variety is best I find...lol

Heinz makes shite beans. My favourite is Branston and Lidl beans with pork sausages. 

Of course there is no lack of protein in the Highlands. There are billions of midges.  Enough, I think, to feed the whole of Africa if one could find a way to catch them and can them.  

BC112D7D-B524-4268-A5F7-75F2A8F356B8.jpeg

I came across above monster midge in Ardtoe in Moidart. Lost my midge net this trip but survived as nearly totally immune to their bites having been exposed to them since new born.  

Now safely back home after a very enjoyable time exploring and fishing. 

Only fished for five minutes and caught six MackErels on a six hook hand line. Smoked and ate three. The other three brought home for my cat. 

1 person likes this

Heinz beans are imho the best.....always the same GOOD tasting meal hot or cold ....your taste buds are all screwed up....lol...lol..lol.   To each their own....but I agree some good sausage sure perks the meal up....
I will also admit i'd love to catch a fish in 5 minutes worth eating, let alone 6...!!!!!    The chinese who over fish all our local lakes here by keeping everything and purifying them in a blender are to blame for us having very few good sized breeding stock fish.....a real problem for sure!    IF you wish to catch the big boys you must drive hours and hours north to a remote lake and use a boat and get seriously stuck in!   Something I haven't tried yet, but wish to one day!

Hmmm....you know the painting of the natural rocks etc is a mischief charge ...eh....lol.   Nice job all the same...lol.lol.   Deet is how we repel them here with great success.....muskoil is the stuff...it's great...just melts plastic if you touch it with your fingers after liberally applying the good stuff to your face and neck etc etc.

Ask my old glasses a few years back.....AUGH...!!!!

1 person likes this

Just found a photo shot inside my wee tent from my trip. 

5FBE8A4D-D40D-45F0-B301-A739D137CA68.jpeg

Coleman lamp with stainless steel globe glass and my whisky. Tent door midge net left open so I can get out to pass water when needed.  

Have broken two globe glasses in my time and will never go back to glass. Metal mesh is much better even in gales. Higher light output in my humble opinion and safer with excess whisky. 

1 person likes this

Forgot to mention sea temperature was warm enough for swimming. Had a swim five times as had brought no bath or shower. 

1 person likes this

Cooked and heated water on a 100 year + Primus stove. Similar to those used by both Amundsen and Scott. Much more reliable than the modern stoves. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

Just found a photo shot inside my wee tent from my trip. 

5FBE8A4D-D40D-45F0-B301-A739D137CA68.jpeg

Coleman lamp with stainless steel globe glass and my whisky. Tent door midge net left open so I can get out to pass water when needed.  

Have broken two globe glasses in my time and will never go back to glass. Metal mesh is much better even in gales. Higher light output in my humble opinion and safer with excess whisky. 

Does the stainless screen not get hot ..?  That would worry me if so for fire hazard..?  I have burned 2 sleeping bags in the past trying to heat a tent and they touched the dead but still hot stove case.....Now a days they love making bags out of super light weight modern materials which melt when heated.   Here you wouldn't be able to keep netting down unless outside temps were low enough to be almost zero.....mozzies would carry you away....I'm still killing millions nightly with zapper....

1 person likes this

I'm with Tolsen - Branston beans are much nice than Heinz.

@Tolsen, where do you stand on the subject of beans with the little pork sausages?

Top of Coleman lamp goes almost red hot. Therefore discipline and care must be exercised or one may easily become tentless.  

Branston’s and Lidl’s are the tastiest both with and without sausages. Heinz baked beans are bland and tasteless also much overpriced. 

2 people like this

I used to love Libby's, but somewhere along the way, they changed the recipe and now they taste awful.   Haven't found a good tasting substitute yet but I will check to see if Branstons and Lidi's are available here and give them a try.

All the way from China came a very smart and tiny DC generator set complete with orb light. 

Engine is much quieter than it sounds.  The rattle sound is caused by minute play in big and small ends of connecting rods. 

This Stirling engine runs on hot air heated by a small alcohol burner hence I could use locally made whisky in an emergency. Engine runs at approximately 1700 rpm. I paid £20 with air mail delivery. Orb light was included. Running time is 30 minutes per 2/3 fill of the wee burner.  That is no more than a table spoon of alcohol.  I have improved engine by lubing pistons in dry graphite powder, fitted proper gaskets and added a small asbestos sheet to insulate hot from cold side of displacer cylinder.  Orb light had a rather annoying flicker.  Obviously caused by the voltage output from the wee generator not being constant.  I sorted that by soldering in a 10000 uF 16 volt capacitor to orb light circuit board.

Ideal kit for camping and exploring in case your batteries run out.  Of course one could bring a few candles for emergency lighting but this generator kit is much more impressive. 

1 person likes this

This engine is a Scottish invention by Rev Robert Stirling more than two hundred years ago. 

FA887221-E273-4CE6-BE17-0DB60CE67E56.jpeg

Reverend Robert Stirling

1 person likes this

How this Stirling engine works:

Runs on hot air in a closed system so the air is reused. No ambient air enters engine. 

Has two cylinders. A power cylinder and a displacer cylinder. A bore through the frame connects displacer cylinder to head of power cylinder.

Air when heated expands. In a closed system this will increase air pressure. 

Air when cooled contracts resulting in lowering of air pressure in a closed system. 

Displacer piston does not seal against cylinder wall. Air flows around it. 

Displacer piston moves into the heated glass bulb and out of heated bulb. 

Air pressure increases when displacer piston has moved out of heated bulb and the pressure then drives power piston towards the right. 

When displacer piston fills heated bulb, there is much less air to heat hence air pressure drops. Air is then also moved to the cold side where it is cooled. I suspect then pressure drops below atmospheric pressure and power piston is sucked back towards the left. 

I am still trying to get my head around the workings of this engine so may revise above description soon. 

I take my hat off for Rev Robert Stirling, a real genius. 

1 person likes this

Bought 20 litres of cat litter in preparation for my next trip. Not intended for my cat but for my own use. 

F3B2A835-6813-431D-AC49-2D1F6E0E8EC4.jpeg

22 minutes ago, MikeT said:

Got an extra large poop scooper too? :lol:

No. The cat litter is for cooking and heating.