Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pmcn500

Diesel injector cleaner....?

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.... just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on using diesel injector cleaners on the Smarts....?

Are they necessary..... recommended.... differences between cleaners.... and if so, what are peoples preferences and why.....?

I'm not having any issues with mine..... but just wondering if I should be pro-active with cleaners etc....

Many thanks

Paul

1 person likes this

I use dieselKleen every other tank or so.....48ml in at a time no more measured out as recommended.   IF you haven't taken out your injectors and looked at the nozzle lately you will find them caked with carbon from what I saw on the two i own. Yes this works to some extent but the best way is to change your nozzles if really bad, or bend over for new or rebuilt injectors...augh...imho.   Yes new nozzles are not cheap either but far easier to swallow than the complete injector swap. The difference is definately noticable and the fuel savings is way up also. I am averaging 80 MPGs and I drive up to 20 over.....at times, but mostly 10 over or less.  
IF you wish to do a good cleaning, buy a sonic cleaner and clean them using it....amazon sells them cheap, get one that is roughly 10" by 5" inside opening to allow enough space to be able to almost submerge injector but keeping electronic top end out of the solution. Do not use wire wheel etc on your nozzles as they will distort and ruin the spray pattern, something that is critical to good operation of vehicle etc.
AS usual too much info....hope it helps......start with the additives and see....then progress if you wish further.

3 people like this

On 9/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, Willys said:

I use dieselKleen every other tank or so.....48ml in at a time no more measured out as recommended.

I used this product for 5 years and found it worked very well. If you are not familiar with this product; there are 2 different versions. Both are basically the same except the white bottle has Anti-Gel and Moisture inhibitors for winter use.

Kleen.jpg

4 people like this

On 9/26/2019 at 8:00 AM, TheHandyHobbit said:

I used this product for 5 years and found it worked very well. If you are not familiar with this product; there are 2 different versions. Both are basically the same except the white bottle has Anti-Gel and Moisture inhibitors for winter use.

Kleen.jpg

well...... thank you for the info, I recently started to have issues with the fuel gauge not registering full after filling up, and after reading another article about this, it also suggested to use the diesel Kleen.... so I did... and it has cured the fuel gauge issue, and improved my mpg by approx 10%.....result !!

2 people like this

i used the kleen flo diesel conditioner..probably the same stuff

it fixed the tank level issue on a 2005 cabrio 

goes on sale often at TSC stores

0380850_1?defaultImage=image_na_EN&fmt=j

I bought the Diesel Kleen stuff by the biggest jug when it came on sale.....It'll take me years to use it all...lol.

I'm using LubeCorp premium diesel plus fuel conditioner. Its supposed to increase the cetane 9-13 points (main reason I got it), increases lubricity, fuel economy and cleans the injectors. Increasing the cetane means the fuel burns easier, faster and more completely which also increases fuel economy. It is also a fuel stabilizer which is a bonus as my cabrio is a three season car. When I first got my smart my fe was around 5 lhk pretty much all in town. Once I started using the conditioner the fe got better and on my last trip to Vancouver, BC it was around 3 lhk. I'm thinking I should be able to hit 600 km per tank now.

1 person likes this

On 25/09/2019 at 6:35 AM, Willys said:

I use dieselKleen every other tank or so.....48ml in at a time no more measured out as recommended.   IF you haven't taken out your injectors and looked at the nozzle lately you will find them caked with carbon from what I saw on the two i own. Yes this works to some extent but the best way is to change your nozzles if really bad, or bend over for new or rebuilt injectors...augh...imho.   Yes new nozzles are not cheap either but far easier to swallow than the complete injector swap. The difference is definately noticable and the fuel savings is way up also. I am averaging 80 MPGs and I drive up to 20 over.....at times, but mostly 10 over or less.  
IF you wish to do a good cleaning, buy a sonic cleaner and clean them using it....amazon sells them cheap, get one that is roughly 10" by 5" inside opening to allow enough space to be able to almost submerge injector but keeping electronic top end out of the solution. Do not use wire wheel etc on your nozzles as they will distort and ruin the spray pattern, something that is critical to good operation of vehicle etc.
AS usual too much info....hope it helps......start with the additives and see....then progress if you wish further.

Looking to go the route of cleaning the injectors with a sonic cleaner as preventive maintenance, and figure the car is quite old now and could probably use a good cleaning. Using the sonic cleaner seems quite straightforward, question I've got is which components on the injector need replacing after the sonic bath? O-rings for sure but anything else that needs to be done or replaced on the injector after cleaning? Also, what's a good place for locating new injector o-rings? Still gotta order a sonic cleaner so won't be tackling this job for a couple weeks or so, but looking to get components needed for rebuild while I wait. Thanks!

Edited by Purplesmart

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=BOSCH+Diesel+Nozzle+Fuel+Injector+0433175231&me=A72SB1U6MQMLS&ref=nb_sb_noss

These are the injector nozzles I have bought twice now, perfect...no complaints at all. Great guy to order from also.  These and the crush washers are all you need to buy besides the sonic cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Professional/dp/B083KBN9M5/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sonic+cleaner&qid=1604088140&sr=8-4

now all you need to do is pay for them...lol.

OH...I buy the washers from the dealership.

CHEAP...!

Edited by Willys

I got one more potentially dumb question to ask regarding the future task, but figure better to ask rather than to assume and do it wrong. Just picked up the copper seals for the injectors in preparation to clean and replace nozzles, is there a proper orientation for the seal on the injector body? These seem to have a slight curve, almost like a shallow bowl, I would assume the face curving upward would face toward the body of the injector upon reinstallation so that upon torqing the injector back down, it compresses therefore creating the seal, but I could be wrong, can anyone please verify? 20201030_171914.jpg20201030_172108.jpg

On 10/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, Willys said:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=BOSCH+Diesel+Nozzle+Fuel+Injector+0433175231&me=A72SB1U6MQMLS&ref=nb_sb_noss

These are the injector nozzles I have bought twice now, perfect...no complaints at all. Great guy to order from also.  These and the crush washers are all you need to buy besides the sonic cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Professional/dp/B083KBN9M5/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sonic+cleaner&qid=1604088140&sr=8-4

now all you need to do is pay for them...lol.

OH...I buy the washers from the dealership.

CHEAP...!

And I came on here just to list the nozzle part numbers so people could order them!

DSLA 155 P 863+ is the other number on the plastic container.

Best program is the Hotshot Secret program, Clean your fuel system and injectors with Hotshot Secret Diesel extreme and use Hotshot Secret EDT(Every Day Diesel Treatment) every fill up for Cetane boost and more importantly *Lubricity* . I personally have ran small diesel Automobiles out to near 500,000 kms never having fuel injection problems, clean *water free* fuel with added Lubricity is a big deal.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:27 PM, Purplesmart said:

I got one more potentially dumb question to ask regarding the future task, but figure better to ask rather than to assume and do it wrong. Just picked up the copper seals for the injectors in preparation to clean and replace nozzles, is there a proper orientation for the seal on the injector body? These seem to have a slight curve, almost like a shallow bowl, I would assume the face curving upward would face toward the body of the injector upon reinstallation so that upon torqing the injector back down, it compresses therefore creating the seal, but I could be wrong, can anyone please verify?

i would probably put them convex side up concave side down

copper is so soft it probably doesnt matter though...they will flatten either way

1 person likes this