Sydney

starting project EGR delete

10 posts in this topic

so here is where i'm at with my 05 cabrio.

- replaced both front wheel bearings

- did a complete rear brake job

- switched the signal lights back to the way they are supposed to be (UK)

- replaced the rear reluctor rings

- did the wiper blade mod

and a few other odds & ends

i went out for a test drive this morning and blew (or it just rotted off) the oil feed line to the turbo...

luckily i had a jug of oil with me,  so i kept stopping and adding oil so i can safely get my baby back home.    (so engine and turbo are ok)

so i figure what the hell.  since the car is down till i get a new oil feed line,  i might as well try a complete egr delete.

1 person likes this

Great work, I also will be looking for that oil return line to replace on the rebuilt engine when the time comes. Where did you get it from? Have to cut out the heater hoses that run to the EGR? It will free up some room in the engine bay. Also why not block off that EGR pipe altogether while it's all off the engine? Again something I will do when installing new turbo unit. Just another pipe and possible future issue removed from system. I'm thinking you'll best remove the turbo unit,exhaust manifold from engine maybe to get at it easily etc etc. Then blank it off right at manifold.  Then think oil catch can mod...?   OR simply redirect that hose down to somewhere that may like a dibble of oil  to keep things fresh, such as a fitting on the sub frame and simply drain it into that. IF it gets full enough it'll just drip out of one of the two open pipes.....just thinking out loud...?  Think of it as a rust type prevention mod...lol.

Started digging into things this evening. The oil leak is a pin hole in the return line from turbo back to engine. I couldn't see it at first. I found it right easy when I started the car. A stream of oil about 3 feet.  

Also, I'm surprised how quiet the car is with no exhaust. Lol

1 person likes this

Mine had a pin hole in return line near its flange that bolts to the underside of turbo. 

I brazed up the pin hole and painted pipe in epoxy paint. That was about ten years ago. Still fine. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

Mine had a pin hole in return line near its flange that bolts to the underside of turbo. 

I brazed up the pin hole and painted pipe in epoxy paint. That was about ten years ago. Still fine. 

My pin hole is in the exact same spot. I was going to try to JB weld it. But while I was trying to clean the pipe up to find some good metal, I realized the whole pipe was just paper thin. The supply line to the turbo was also weeping oil. 

I'm just afraid the deeper I go, the more I'll find. I already see a crack in the exhaust manifold,   and there is nothing left of the studs or nuts holding it on.

Edited by Sydney

i'm a little confused.  so there is a small line on the top of the turbo,  larger line on the bottom.

which is the supply line?

im trying to source both lines,  but when a google it,  it says the supply line is the bottom one.

Oil supply is the small diameter pipe that connects to top of turbo with a banjo fitting. 

Drain is the large diameter pipe connected by flange to the underside of turbo. 

Similar to your wash basin. No wash basin has its drain on top for obvious reasons. 

You will have to source these pipes from Smart or make new pipes yourself. 

2 people like this

On 26/09/2019 at 0:47 PM, Sydney said:

so here is where i'm at with my 05 cabrio.

- replaced both front wheel bearings

- did a complete rear brake job

- switched the signal lights back to the way they are supposed to be (UK)

- replaced the rear reluctor rings

- did the wiper blade mod

and a few other odds & ends

i went out for a test drive this morning and blew (or it just rotted off) the oil feed line to the turbo...

luckily i had a jug of oil with me,  so i kept stopping and adding oil so i can safely get my baby back home.    (so engine and turbo are ok)

so i figure what the hell.  since the car is down till i get a new oil feed line,  i might as well try a complete egr delete.

I personally bent and made mine out of soft 1/2 inch copper wire the original 2 bolt flange brazed with a 1/2 inch coupling on the end to snugly fit the rubber hose coming off the sump, I was thinking of using 1/4 inch as tube for my supply as it's almost rotten through, I Gota also get on this EGR delete, stupid Canadian laws our are water cooled here.

2 people like this

On 26/09/2019 at 2:06 PM, Willys said:

Great work, I also will be looking for that oil return line to replace on the rebuilt engine when the time comes. Where did you get it from? Have to cut out the heater hoses that run to the EGR? It will free up some room in the engine bay. Also why not block off that EGR pipe altogether while it's all off the engine? Again something I will do when installing new turbo unit. Just another pipe and possible future issue removed from system. I'm thinking you'll best remove the turbo unit,exhaust manifold from engine maybe to get at it easily etc etc. Then blank it off right at manifold.  Then think oil catch can mod...?   OR simply redirect that hose down to somewhere that may like a dibble of oil  to keep things fresh, such as a fitting on the sub frame and simply drain it into that. IF it gets full enough it'll just drip out of one of the two open pipes.....just thinking out loud...?  Think of it as a rust type prevention mod...lol.

Outside the box thinking, the cars green enough as is, my EGR to manifold pipes male torx bolts are so corroded I can't get them off, so it's a pull everything and drill and tap game it's all the salt on the roads here

3 people like this

I'm going to rebuild the old one so i have a good working spare in case something goes sideways with either car. I'm a firm believer in having good working spares for know issues sitting ready for the day they could be needed....lol....It's a sickness I have.  sigh....

As for my emulator I purchased from Stickman007 it's working perfectly, completely reliable and trouble free.....just to let anyone know that maybe is thinking about one.  No more EGR either bolted or zip tied to my engine to keep the codes away....perfection!

1 person likes this