Driver

Manual transmission fluid change

7 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone is still interested in Smart Cars. I have a 2016 Smart Passion with manual transmission. I have 30,000 miles and want to change the transmission fluid. Not sure how to drain and refill ?  Or what weight oil to use or how much oil is needed ?  Thanks for your help.

1 person likes this

There is no need to change transmission oil unless contaminated. My Smart is from 2002, has clocked 255,000 km and still running on original transmission oil. 

At this site, everyone is interested in smart cars.  It is also one of the most active smart car sites around.  Hang in there.  There will most likely be a few more replies before the night is done.

As Tolsen mentioned, unless the original oil has been contaminated somehow, there should be no need to change it.

BTW, 255,000 kms. = approximately 158,500 miles.

I've watched a cple videos on changing the trans oil on smarts on You Tube.

I agree shouldn't need changing unless fouled up.

I believe the smarts came with synthetic oil in the trans from factory, if not would be the only reason to change it IMO.

Good info from evolution..... https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=engine&mod=305

Your 451 takes 75w90 gear oil - 2.3 litres.

Many say that it is not necessary to change. I personally change it in the 450 and 451 and it always comes out dirty.

According to evolution the 75W90 gear oil '' Gear oil burns off when it gets hot.
If you use gear oil, keep an eye on the levels.''

Transmission has inside it a rather strong magnet that collects  ferro metallic particles from the oil.  The oil will turn darker as it ages but still retains its lubrication properties.  

Change your oil if you are worried but you can also help the planet by filtering and reusing your oil. I filtered my oil through kitchen roll paper. Crackle tested oil to check for water. Used oiled soaked filter paper as fire starter. 

The 2016 car is a Renault gearbox.  I believe you have to pump the oil out and refill it via the breather.  There's no drain plug as they're not intended to have fluid changes. That aside, theres nothing stopping you doing a cha ge if you want to, although at 30,000 miles it really is pointless unless the car has been underwater or somesuch.