Willys

Engine rebuild some parts required.

73 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Willys said:

I've been playing with it but I wish I could find a way to do whole paragraphs not just a line or two at a time........I even typed in a sentence and that was great, but at one finger or two at a time, it'll take me until next winter just to translate it...lol. There has to be a program that'll do a page at a time well enough to be able to get the main idea of what is being said.    Google has a section or tab that'll translate it then tell you verbally what has been translated....but only a sentence or two at a time.

You need to take a picture of it, size it, then send it  then ok it then it spits it out......that is why I think there must be a better way I just have no idea where or what that is.

My wife's company uses deepl.com....but again....so far only  short distances not full pages so far and then it's the getting the pictures over to the program etc.

Google has an app that runs direct from the phone, no uploading/shuffling required. Point it at the text, hit the button, get a translation. Last used it getting some detailed instructions that just happened to be in Japanese.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you got it, should have loaded the page again.

Edited by gtjunk
1 person likes this

Just got a nice surprise on the doorstep this afternoon....my brand new brake vacuum pump is in my hands.  The difference between what was running perfectly fine before i took it apart is like night and day, new one perfectly tight  tolerances and the old one a 1/4" slop in the drive dogs.  Glad I checked it.....I bet it'll be a bit quieter now if nothing else...lol.  I'll post up pics of the damages later with build pics.

I will admit it hurt to buy it....$270 from Greece....in a couple of days......or so!  Fast or what....after duty charges it came out to just over $300 total.  Has a different casting but the part numbers match and it fits.  So good to go.

1 person likes this

OK......a slight issue........

.I have the engine completely back together and also transmission rebuilt.....but have misplaced 3 seals....AUGH!!!!    I'm in need of the two output shaft seals and the input shaft seal on the transmission......I'm 99% sure I have already bought them, I just can't find them!    I'm at a stand still now......so tomorrow I call the damned dealership while holding a tub of lube!

I also have a spare part, a left over.......AUGH....!!!!!       It's a threaded rod with an allen key head drive on it, maybe 5/16ths wide and 3/4" long. It is a blind bolt that butts up against something externally as the end is shiny while the threads are dirty.   So, I'm 100% sure it's not an internal piece.......

Any ideas....?

OK, I am very new to doing this.....so if it doesn't work....ooooops....lol

20200408_142535.jpg

20200408_142435.jpg

20200408_142345.jpg

Interesting, it worked...lol....here's some more....

20200408_142535 (2).jpg

Edited by Willys

Start it up and see where the oil pours out.  Almost looks like an oil gallery plug.

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Start it up and see where the oil pours out.  Almost looks like an oil gallery plug.

It's a contact pin or lock pin from somewhere.....as it has a shiny rubbed end or wear mark....and it's external as the threads are dirty, not nice and oily as in from internal....?

Tomorrow I'll be going over my spare engine to find where it could come from....more damned parts scattered everywhere....augh!!!!

Thinking about it, it's like an adjustment nut for fine adjustment to either tension or lock something in place....the end is still shiny so that means it has been getting some sort of movement against it as in it wasn't able to rust in a specific shape, rust shape that is, it has a deffinant shiny wear end on it.   Hmmmm, so much for sleep tonight...lol

are you sure its from a smart?

it really looks like a simple pulley set screw

is it metric thread?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

are you sure its from a smart?

it really looks like a simple pulley set screw

is it metric thread?

It was in with a bunch of other Smart Bolts etc, that is why I assumed it is a Smart part...I will check threads tomorrow now for sure, thanks...Next will be where did it come from and what have I worked on recently that is could have come from?
Thanks.

OK, just reordered seals that I'm sure I have somewhere here but can't find them from dealership......only required minimal lube surprisingly!  They will be here tuesday next week, they had them in Toronto somewhere....Go figure!!!!

So I'm now down to final clutch attachment and to set up sub frame ready for engine/transmission  mating......OH and figuring out where that stupid bolt came from....AUGH.....lol

7 hours ago, tolsen said:

Coolant drain plug. 

Hmmm....from where the block as in the main one....nope way too small.....is there another..?      It also has that smooth shinny contact location on the tip that looks like it is a worn spot, generated from movement over time..?

It looks like a lock or adjustment pin of some sort, I just can't think of where it could have been on or in the engine anywhere...?     The threads haven't been soaked in any oils, they are dry with what appears to be external envirnment type dirt in them where they weren't inside a thread themselves. It's just the last 3-4 threads that have signs of wear in them.

Please keep suggesting ideas....Thanks.

I'm trying to think of the last things I have worked on or with in the past 3 months, so to speak.....
an Alternator, Starter, Rear wheel bearings,  The complete engine re assembly and transmission rebuild, ????

OK, if it's a locking stud, is there anything on this engine, transmission assembly externally that requires such a locking mechanism?  As suggested by LLN's it looks very much like such an object....?  It just baffles me where it could come from?
BUT,....if it's a retaining pin used to lock in a shaft or ball bearing, same question, where could it come from remembering it isn't an internal as in no oil on it anywhere item.

IF, you look at that one picture of the end of it, you can clearly see it has sunk itself into a piece of metal etc for a ways then locked on  for the next clour fresh area and cleaned itself off as it was released from it's home. You need to zoom in tight to see this clearly. There is two distinct areas of discolouration, one a wear or beaten shiny area and the other a fractured area with signs of structural damage as it released from where it was locked against. There is a torquing type disfigurement to the metal surface.  So could it have sunk into a blind hole and bottomed out and held in a ball behind a spring?  The torque on the bolt against the tapered bottom of the hole which had an opening in it and in that opening there was a ball it locked against which bounced under spring pressure?     Is there anything like that on this engine that I have overlooked?    Hmmmm...?  An oil pressure ball spring? Remember no oil on this at all. It's a dry threaded screw, It hasn't seen the wire wheel yet.

Thoughts...?        A detent locking screw....?

Edited by Willys

OK, it's an M8-1.25 mm  with a 4 mm allen key drive internal head.

And i can't find anywhere externally where it could come from....

The tip of that grub screw looks unusually shiny judgling by your photo.  Is there a steel ball at tip?  Grub screws do normally have a dimple at tip end.

was there any oil gallery access points under the flywheel?

ive seen some other engines that plugs like that to close up drill points for block galleries and provide access for cleaning 

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

The tip of that grub screw looks unusually shiny judgling by your photo.  Is there a steel ball at tip?  Grub screws do normally have a dimple at tip end.

Yep, that is what I think also, it has been pushing against something hard that has had pressure behind it somehow. The friction area , the grey coloured area around that shiny spot at the tip tells me that was the contact  at the bottom of the hole where it lived......I'm going to be really upset if I have to completely dismantle this assembled almost engine now!  Remembering the screw didn't have oil stains or soaked dirty threads, it had external type dirt on it.....augh!  I think I will dismantle a good used engine first as not to upset the newly built one if I do not have to.

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

was there any oil gallery access points under the flywheel?

ive seen some other engines that plugs like that to close up drill points for block galleries and provide access for cleaning 

No, I took the flywheel off again this morning searching, nothing in the bell housing area.......that I could see.....I seem to remember something maybe under the intake or exhaust manifold that may have this type of thing....but as said above, I will dismantle the used engine to find it. I'd rather have a disassembled old engine on the floor than a perfectly clean rebuilt one after all this work.......augh!   Either way it's very upsetting.....I'm just glad it's my engine and not a customer's......I have built I will bet 50 engines in my engine modifying time and the only ones I ever mess up are my own!   I just seem to not concentrate as hard on them as I would a customers.  Plus I tend to have them apart for much longer periods!  Always porting for days if not weeks, etc modifying them.....but this one was just waiting for warmer weather.  Being too cheap to heat the shop.....oh well.   It didn't get any modifying done to it at all besides larger pistons.  The rest is all bone stock, but new.