Willys

Engine rebuild some parts required.

73 posts in this topic

Engine rebuild some parts required......does not include this part!!!!

Thank GOD.....I took the old crap spare engine apart to search for it's brother...lol.     An expensive hunt, but far more pleasant than touching my freshly rebuilt engine all brand spank'in new an all......lol.

But, I'm still perplexed.......lol.    What was that screw doing in with the pile of engine bolts?   I have the engine down to nothing, every nut and bolt off and out, nothing left to peer down, poke at, or simply stare at in search of dreaded screw.....so I'm semi confident it doesn't belong....it'll be a very nerve racking few minutes after starting the new engine that's for sure!   I think I may just install an oil gauge  just for shits and giggles......lol.

12 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

maybe its from the transmission

Shut your mouth....lol

Yep...I thought that also, but didn't take the transmission down that far.....But ........son of a bitch.....FFS....!

All I did was separate the cases and pull the gears and washed her out well. It didn't get the full treatment as it was in great shape from what i could see.   It only had  a bit of black grime inside the case and sludge on the magnet....no real metal bits and pieces....you know that black grey sludge....You'll see when I finally get around to showing the pictures.

Edited by Willys

Can you please post clear and sharp photos of tip end of the mystery grub screw?

13 hours ago, tolsen said:

Can you please post clear and sharp photos of tip end of the mystery grub screw?

Edited by Willys

Gone.

Edited by Willys

Gone.

Edited by Willys

OK, pictures are up in WIKI.... of engine rebuilding not complete as I forgot to take pics and skipped a few steps    sorry....but you'll get the drift.

Enjoy.....if you need info, ask.

Everything but Block, Head, crank, connecting rods, and cam are new.

You are no photographer and you have dirty fingers. How about getting your pictures in focus? Blurred photos are worse than none.

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

You are no photographer and you have dirty fingers. How about getting your pictures in focus? Blurred photos are worse than none.

Use what you have , no worries.
Also if you can't see what it is by those pics it's your eyes that are blury, I bet!

Edited by Willys

I circled two spots on this pic.

Are one of these your screw already in there?

It looks like they are there already as large as I can zoom in.

Check the other end of head too maybe there.

20200402_174017.thumb.jpg.d75b4d8a6ee62366de705da01a3af7dd.jpg

Edited by BWM

Yes those two pins hold both of the timing chain guides. I will check the other end just to me sure if there is any holes  pines etc there.  Thanks.

Hi Willys

I rebuilt my engine as you know and I don't remember seeing that type of locking screw anywhere on the engine. With all this corona time I pulled out my engine again, disassembled the gearbox,changed bearings and mount everything back, plus solving a problem with play in inner cv joints causing a leak on seals. I don't remember seeing that screw even on gearbox.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, bmwmilos said:

Hi Willys

I rebuilt my engine as you know and I don't remember seeing that type of locking screw anywhere on the engine. With all this corona time I pulled out my engine again, disassembled the gearbox,changed bearings and mount everything back, plus solving a problem with play in inner cv joints causing a leak on seals. I don't remember seeing that screw even on gearbox.

Thank you, for saying this...I have  lost many hours thinking about removing engine and rebuilding it in my head piece by piece and can't for the life of me figure out where it came from...again Thanks.

The alternator does not have this screw,the starter also. I just dismantled oil cooler and there is no grub screw there. I can't remember if there is something on vacuum pump,water pump or CP pump,but I honestly don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Oh,and did you dismount the oil pressure regulating valve? The TX plug on oil filter housing? The piston on mine was slightly worn by aluminum housing ( ??? ), so I cleaned the burrs,polished it shiny and turned the piston 180 degrees so it works on the sides that are not worn.

6 hours ago, bmwmilos said:

The alternator does not have this screw,the starter also. I just dismantled oil cooler and there is no grub screw there. I can't remember if there is something on vacuum pump,water pump or CP pump,but I honestly don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Oh,and did you dismount the oil pressure regulating valve? The TX plug on oil filter housing? The piston on mine was slightly worn by aluminum housing ( ??? ), so I cleaned the burrs,polished it shiny and turned the piston 180 degrees so it works on the sides that are not worn.

I didn't take the actual pressure regulator in the oil pump completely apart but cleaned it well as so there was  zero oil in it and flushed it well.  It looked perfect. I did buy a new oil pump not because mine was worn badly just because....I'm in there, so replace it. Mentality.  I tore down my spare engine and also couldn't find that grub or set screw anywhere and I looked into the oil pump mechanism also.  The lat and starter were the first place I looked for it as it looks like an adjustment typed screw to lock something in place after it's been adjusted. Again it had external type dirt on it and in it's threads not wet dirty oil  from an internal location. It also had red loctite on it at about the 1/3 area on it's threads.
I bought the shop manual which is solely printed in German which I use my cell phone to translate a few sentences at a time to be able to read it and even then it's not great. It also doesn't give much in way of any instruction on basic engine rebuilding. But it does give much needed timing set up and necessary details about what goes where etc.  I also have a link to it but prefer a paper manual when working in the shop....old school I guess.  Any other car on the planet has a far better shop manual from what I have seen than this car, why I just do not know...?  Even some of the electrical drawings look like they are hand drawn and not computer generated!

I speak german also,so if you need to translate anything I can help you too.

I finished installing my engine back and just came from a 30 mile test drive. Now the engine is quiet as it should be. I managed to track a source of occasional chain slapping sound that got worse in the last 100miles. I did not notice it before,and i opened the timing cover twice to inspect. The dowel pin that holds the oil chain tensioner was not perpendicular to the chain just by a bit. But it was enough to slowly push the chain outwards and wanting to "climb" over the oil pump sprocket sideways. Not to mention that the tension was higher on inside element of the chain than on the outside. By using a piece of pipe to bend the pin, and a straight edge and caliper I realigned the tensioner in both directions until I managed to rotate the engine and the oil chain not tending to go neither in nor out on oil pump sprocket. I can't believe that I didn't check that before.

As for the locking screw, I noticed that on the CP pump there are screws of that type, but they are M6 thread. I checked around my engine this morning and I did not find that type of screw anywhere.

1 person likes this

High pressure common rail pump. Aircon compressor I did not even touch. I removed two screws holding it to the engine and tied it with cable ties when I removed the engine.

I did dismount and reseal the CP1 pump some time ago ( seals were torn by high pressure) but I also don't remember seeing M8 set screw there.

1 person likes this

I also resealed and cleaned the high pressure fuel pump so it should be ok there also, and no, no set screw or grub screw....The only reason I removed the air con pump was to clean and check it's condition, basically to match the rest of the engine...before reinstalling it.  I thought it was an empty system, to my surprise it was fully charged!   Yep, gave me a shock...lol.  I had to air out the shop in a hurry...lol  I almost thought about removing the air con system all together as I do not use it really at all. But to keep any sort of resale price where it should be I'll keep it. No plans to sell.....so it really doesn't make a difference to me.  Plus not having that pump on the engine sure makes getting at other items far easier!

I will recheck the high pressure pump for those set screws you mention just to double check, thanks.

Well the whole sub frame is all but done now. I have uploaded all the pictures I took of it on the other thread in WIKI.....They are all that I have so far. There are only few things left are to tie up all wiring with zip ties and figure out a second oil pressure sender off of the oil supply to the turbo by doubling up on the banjo fitting leading to an oil pressure sender. Electric I think, usually go mechanical but seeing as it's so far away I'm stay simple, wiring is easier to run than tubing and there's less chance of a failure from it.  It seems Amazon is slow on the deliveries at the moment and that's OK due to the reasoning.
I have started cleaning off all the undercoating so I can see the rust areas, which there is very few of. Just surface rust, easily chipped off with a scraper.  That is where I am now, ready to start resurfacing the metal to prep and paint.  Well just the back half, the area that the rear under belly pan covers.

2 people like this