Tut

catch can vapour

15 posts in this topic

So after the eddymap, EGR out, emulator, and all the other preemptive mods, the catch can went in to keep little Smartie's guts clean. The breather filter on top of the can was huffing like a steam engine and creating a bit of a StinkySmart spectacle at the stoplights when white ghostly mist curled out from underneath the car after filling engine compartment. I re-routed some plumbing (joined the top and out port in a Tee) and shot the whole business out a silly little invention I thought would both re-heat the engine steam (hyper-vaporize, if such a word exists) and expel if not suck it out. It seems to work with no notice of aftermarket hijinx at the tailpipe. Im thinking if there is periodic vacuum on the steam pipe, it will draw simple exhaust and no muck can gain entry. Im going to do a few oil flushes to tidy things up and watch the oil afterwards.

I did this prior to reading several involved posts on the removal of those gasses. Tolsen has nailed it but Im not Smartypants enough to build his cyclone. This might just be a cheap facsimile of a reasonable solution. Shes a happy little girl getting 80 plus mpg, almost 90 at times and seems to love life. Have I done it wrong? Curious to hear from all you Smartscientists. Cheers from Victoria.
20190504_090528_resized_1.jpg20190422_162548_resized_1.jpg20191014_102857_resized_1.jpg20191014_121305_resized_1.jpg20191023_164332_resized_1.jpg20191014_145830_resized_1.jpg

Hmmmm....interesting....I'm also thinking I will require a catch can after all my deleting with the new rebuilding I'm doing.  It makes perfect sense to pull the fumes etc away from engine compartment and then blown away by the exhaust pressure.  I like it, except the distance it sticks out from bodywork...? Sorry.

405,000 km of smart cdi driving with no catch can and no worries related to oil vapour/condensate.  Sometimes simplest is best.

The simplest way is a pipe down side of engine to the mother of all catch cans. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, tolsen said:

The simplest way is a pipe down side of engine to the mother of all catch cans. 

I was thinking of simply dumping the hose into a fitting that I would install into the engine cradle, then another down to the U swing arm to empty out if any left by then . Thus oiling it keeping it free of any internal rust if any were to think of starting...

6 hours ago, MikeT said:

405,000 km of smart cdi driving with no catch can and no worries related to oil vapour/condensate.  Sometimes simplest is best.

I thought you still had all the original stock parts installed on your engine? EGR, piping, hoses etc etc....just curious...?

21 minutes ago, tolsen said:

I am dumping all crank case oil vapours back into crank case. 

Hmmm.....doesn't that create a closed system and stopping movement of gasses?   Naybe it's too early or i need another coffee....lol.

I made and fitted an air oil separator (made out of copper pipe). Air is ducted to inlet duct as normal before turbo. Separated oil is piped back to sump by T-ing into lower end of dip stick tube. Works perfectly.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Willys said:

I thought you still had all the original stock parts installed on your engine? EGR, piping, hoses etc etc....just curious...?

Correct.

4 hours ago, tolsen said:

4 hours ago, Willys said:

4 hours ago, tolsen said:

I made and fitted an air oil separator (made out of copper pipe). Air is ducted to inlet duct as normal before turbo. Separated oil is piped back to sump by T-ing into lower end of dip stick tube. Works perfectly.

Your system is outstanding, Nobel over to you for that one....

I think both systems accomplish the same expulsion objective. The difference is yours routes the chemistry through the combustion chamber one more time before finally gone. Both send it through exhaust pipe.  I was interested in avoiding that bit of recycling with a more direct route. All going back to nature.

Could be my imagination but I would swear the engine runs cooler and heats up slower since this went on. Have to run it on the highway now to get more than 62C.

The thermostat is faulty if that's the case.  Pretty typical for the cdis, the thermostats are low-bidder specials.

29 minutes ago, MikeT said:

The thermostat is faulty if that's the case.  Pretty typical for the cdis, the thermostats are low-bidder specials.

12 hours ago, Willys said:

Howbout that. Well, I will make a point of checking the temps and keep track. It does heat ok but it has to work to do so....thks good comment....

21 hours ago, MikeT said:

You're on your way to some kind of record. Any major surgery on motor to get there? freshening?

Two cars: one went 250K km before getting schmucked to oblivion by a Pontiac and the other one has well over 150K km.