chrisj

450 600cc Gear Selection/Clutch issues

39 posts in this topic

People laugh at me when I tell them I have A/C in my convertible.  "Why don't you just drop the roof?" they ask.  Then I remind them of being stuck in traffic with no wind, stalled traffic, 98 degrees F., (37C) and 98% humidity.  Suddenly, the laughter stops and I get nods of approval.

I don't use it often, but under certain circumstances, I will use the A/C.

A/C is excellent to have in a cabriolet - we use it a LOT!  Recharged once, in 2010, and still blowing cold. 

Never need it in mine.  I never get stuck in traffic for a start - if the traffic is ever that bad (rare on the country roads around here) I wouldn't be choosing to take the car in the first place.

17 hours ago, Leadwing said:

People laugh at me when I tell them I have A/C in my convertible.  "Why don't you just drop the roof?" they ask.  Then I remind them of being stuck in traffic with no wind, stalled traffic, 98 degrees F., (37C) and 98% humidity.  Suddenly, the laughter stops and I get nods of approval.

I don't use it often, but under certain circumstances, I will use the A/C.

It's also underrated that A/C dries the air too, so it's invaluable in winter or rain when the windows are steamed up!

1 person likes this

Anyway, I put everything back together today.

The lower intercooler duct was very annoying to put back on.  Also took me an hour or so to get all the vaccum hoses back on the wastegate correctly, what with having about 8 of them needing to be connected up in the right order.  Got there in the end though.

I had previously cleaned off all the rust from the standard exhaust/cat - this got the red high-temp treatment (red, as it was the only colour available at the time).  It can't be seen, but I feel like it might help get a bit more longevity from it if I can stop it corroding externally - as well as making any blows (if it does go) easier to spot.  The tailpipe I covered with black durable paint, as that's visible.

A little rust kicking around on the rear panel a bit - I might sort that out properly at some stage.

AWQeEXA.jpg

ip3SleD.jpg

When that was back on I let it run up a bit and it finally went into gear B)

All that was left then was to run through calibration for the gear selectors, clutch actuator and drag point.

TVRyfoB.jpg

KfsChzY.jpg

All that was left was to run it around for a bit.  I didn't go far, just razzed around the local area for 5 minutes, getting up to speed and changing through the gears.  Struggled to get it past one dot on the temp - it hit two, but I suspect the thermostat needs changing - looks like that's a PITA too, which is probably why it's in need of doing!

I did have a dump valve and hoses knocking about, so fitted that to see what it would be like (fully plumbed in as necessary), but it didn't seem to be doing anything - not sure if it's not boost, or if the valve needs servicing...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your thermostat may well be ok.  In the summer months mine rattles up to 3 dots fairly smartly, but now its cooler it really takes it's time.  It's just the way the petrol engines in these are.  During the colder months fit a panel to block off the lower radiator opening in the front bumper and that sorts it - gets up to temp as per the summer months, but doesn't overheat.

By the way, is it Star or Wow! That you're using? Edit, I can see its Delphi.

Edited by Chopper

That is an awfully load exhaust muffler. I suggest lots of cotton or good ear defenders. 

Engine should get up to 3 bar operating temperature after 6 km of driving if you proceed at about 70 km/h. 

2 people like this

Replace thermostat if engine does not get up to temperature as specified. Beware of substandard aftermarket thermostats. I now only recommend original thermostat from Smart dealer. 

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

That is an awfully load exhaust muffler. I suggest lots of cotton or good ear defenders. 

No idea what you mean - it's a pretty standard cat/silencer

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

Replace thermostat if engine does not get up to temperature as specified. Beware of substandard aftermarket thermostats. I now only recommend original thermostat from Smart dealer. 

I drove 5 miles or so this morning (15-20mins) after letting it idle for around 5 mins on the drive and got no more than 1 bar, so I think it needs changing

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, chrisj said:

I drove 5 miles or so this morning (15-20mins) after letting it idle for around 5 mins on the drive and got no more than 1 bar, so I think it needs changing

Yes, it sounds like a change is in order.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, tolsen said:

Engine should get up to 3 bar operating temperature after 6 km of driving if you proceed at about 70 km/h. 

if you get up to 70kmh.  I can do the 7 miles to work without getting above 50.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

if you get up to 70kmh.  I can do the 7 miles to work without getting above 50.

I went down the country lanes to work this morning and got right up into 6th :D

It's a hoot to drive on country roads.  Shame it takes roughly 3 seconds to change gear, otherwise they are very nippy.