Sydney

another project

35 posts in this topic

Word keeps spreading that I love to work on 450's.

I had this dropped of to me a couple of days ago. Owner paid $200 for it.

She runs but mechanical in rough shape.

Alternator seized (so the belt was cut off)

Water pump leaks

Muffler missing all together

Park brake cables seized

Front and rear brakes shot

Cracked windshield

255,000 klms

Wrong rims on the rear

But body is in really great shape. (full glass roof)

EGR valve delete done with emulator.

I scanned the codes and found a high boost pressure and 5 EGR codes.

Owner wants me to give him an estimate and would like to have it back on the road for the spring. It's in my shop now for a tear down and evaluation.

IMG_20191031_122950_edit.jpg

1 person likes this

$200 is a great deal

sounds like a lot of work but should be worth it if the engine turns out to be good

water pump sounds like the worst part of it ,,,

they run just fine with skinny rear rims..no need to worry about that

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Some members have purposely switched to "skinny" tires and rims on the rear end for winter use.

1 person likes this

I started the disassembly.   Not sure what I think of this exhaust. Lol

IMG_20191106_172934.jpg

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, BWM said:

How loud is that.

I'm not sure yet. But I will let you know.  

2 hours ago, Sydney said:

I'm not sure yet. But I will let you know.  

Surprisingly not that loud. I started it just for a few seconds and let it idle. I assume it would be quite a bit louder driving down the road.

1 person likes this

I have driven my beater down the road without the muffler on it to see what is what, idling is surprisingly quiet but as soon as you put the beans to it, it gets loud...lol.   I have a modified exhaust here also, but it has a glass pack type muffler in it and sounds semi throaty......well as best a 3 cylinder can be throaty...lol.  I didn't go far at all, maybe 1000yards before returning, not wanting to damage the engine in any way.  I was looking for the bad vibration i was experiencing last winter.

Holy Trump, that's a minimalist exhaust! I guess the blower muffles some of the racket.

I've read in other forms that if you have a turbo diesel you don't need a muffler as the turbo quiets it down enough.

I have no personal knowledge of this as my smart is the 1st turbo I've owned and it's still stock as far as I know.

All that exhaust is missing is the hienz bean can label to make it legit...lol..!!!
It's not deafening but it's uncomfortable without a pipe that's for sure.  It certainly doesn't sound like my Willys with it's V8 thumping away with it's straight through mufflers.....sounds great but it makes you wonder what damage it's causing to your ears after a long drive!  But the Gurgle it has when idling into a parking lot is terrific...lol.

1 person likes this

I got the go ahead to start repairing this car and try to get it back on the road. I got the alternator freed up, now I'm going to tackle the water pump. The owner wants to try to save some money and wants to buy as many used parts off my parts car as he can.  

The engine in my parts car has 108,000k on it. Would it be wise to use a used water pump, or buy a new one?

oh i hate customers like that

water pump should always be a new one...i dont even like remans let alone used 

1 person likes this

Check pump bearings for play and noise. No reason to reject it if bearing checks out good. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

Just install all your old junk into his car then make even more money after it fails and you can say I tried to tell you this would be a bad idea......frig'in idiots who want a reliable runner using secondhand important parts....DOH...!
I know I'm anal about replacing almost everything with new or better...lol.....to make things never break down again, but I have never used a used water pump in my entire life time to save money! Damn, how hard up or cheap does one have to be....OK...I could understand IF you are actually broke and can't afford your next meal and need to get to work tomorrow....but damn. He'll have to pay you twice when it fails no..?   AUGH....!!!!!

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i think he just wants to get a pump in so we can continue on with trying to figure out what else this car need to get it back on the road.

i'm sure he would be fine with buying a new pump.   what about a wildshield?  how common are they to find?

My windshield guy said he could get one for me easily, but needed to price it up first....so I wait until after gravel season to think about one. My beater has 5 stone chips or stars now. I simply clean the damaged area with acetone then blow it out then drip crazy glue into the crack. So far it has worked well for a year with now growth in the cracks. The wife's CRV's glass was left for a month and it grew 6 inches....as soon as the temps changed. If you do it, you need to feel the amount of glue as not to have it sitting up above the glass or it'll tear wipers....I simply drip it into damage and then carefully wipe or dab it until below surface level.

Update. I thought I hit a road block with the engine cradle bolts. I was able to get to 2 rear and luckily the front passenger side out. The head of the drivers side front bolt is rusted away.  

I have the cradle tilted down enough to easily access the water pump now. While I can, im removing the AC compressor (its seized anyway) and I'll take off the alternator and give everything a quick clean up + clean the spade connector on the starter. 

I'm surprised at the amount of rust though.

IMG_20191108_195529.jpg

The strength of that tube is greatly deminished imho.  Almost rusted through it looks like no..?  I bet a body hammer would pop holes into it......Hmmm...?   And to think I was upset about some surface rust spots and sand blasted my sub frame because of it..lol.

Blimey that's crustier than a leper in an oven.  Do they salt the roads over there?

Edited by Chopper

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

.  Do they salt the roads over there?

Three flakes of snow .. one on top of the other and the salt trucks are out in force.  :D

Of course Sydney lives in the maritime provinces which means constant salt air all year round PLUS the salt truck effect.  Of course, I'm in Ontario, so I am only guessing about salting in Nova Scotia, but I'm pretty sure it's the same there.

1 person likes this

Rear subframe is rather thick so I would not worry too much. Mine looked a lot worse and after cleaning immersed in electrolyte and dc current applied for two days the steel looked pretty good and no need for weld repairs. 

I know the 450s can rust underneath with gusto, and they salt the roads here too, but mine is very clean and almost trust free.  What with the low mileage as well i suspect mine was previously a summer car and spent the winter asleep in a garage.