Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

windshield removal

11 posts in this topic

im getting ready to say goodbye to my parts car.   it was probably the best $350.00 i ever spent.

it gave me 2 good front springs, clutch actuator, radio, 2 headlights, numerous front end parts, engine (with 108,000 on it),  4 rims,   etc....

my question is about the windshield,    has anyone ever removed one?   are they just pressed in,  or are they sealed in with sealant.

Mine is in a rubber seal like the old days from what I saw when pulled the entire lower section out trying to clean and re-goo it water tight using the typical black slicon.......almost worked...lol. So I'm expecting it to go all around using the same rubber seal. 

On another note....the tops are all glued on and can be knifed off and inter changed if you like the glass roof and wanted to install it on another....but use the good windshield goo, not simple silicon..IMHO.

Make damned sure you keep the rear window etc.....over here that single piece is worth $450 used!!!!!

never took mine out but they appeared to be urethaned in 

i usually cut out windshields with stainless braided downrigger wire

37 minutes ago, Willys said:

Make damned sure you keep the rear window etc.....over here that single piece is worth $450 used!!!!!

for sure,   by the time i'm done stripping the car,  it will just be the metal cage  (and i plan on getting a few bucks for that also)

46 minutes ago, Sydney said:

for sure,   by the time i'm done stripping the car,  it will just be the metal cage  (and i plan on getting a few bucks for that also)

You mean like this??

Honda Civic with Trailer.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hmmmm......I wonder, how heavy is just the cage?   I am thinking.....extending the floor to the rear bumper by cutting out the engine raised section, then make nice on the outside, close in the open areas and with sheet metal, add door and windows, paint well to represent a Smart Car....bingo camping trailer...?  OR isn't the internal length long enough...?  Hmmmm...might be easier to simply start from scratch..? Also lighter as the cage has two tubes within it I found out after drilling through it to install better aerial for new radio...Hmmm...?    Hmmmm.....? I'll just go back to sleep now...lol

It could look like you are towing a broken down Smart on a trailer with the trailer wheels central...?

Edited by Willys

2 hours ago, Leadwing said:

You mean like this??

Honda Civic with Trailer.jpg

You forgot a rear window. Lol

The person who wanted the shell, wanted the rear windows .......... :lol:

They're bonded in.  The external rubber weatherstrip is a trim to make it look pretty and reduce whistling wind noises.  

However, a lot of Smarts have had the bonding fail, particularly along the lower edge, and some are so bad that the external weatherstrip is about all holding the screen in position. A bit of firm but careful pressure on the inside while someone else carefully cuts around the inside with a scalpel may be enough to free it undamaged.

2 people like this